Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Evilc66's Oceanic 30g Cube

evilc66

No pics yet?? Have you been too busy working on the pico to update us??

Been too busy with the holidays. It's been a crazy few weeks. Pics up soon though.

nice work.

Thanks.

Hey Evil, can you post pics of your plumbing? I bought the glass-holes overflow and return kit, and I would like to see how you hooked it up in the back of the tank and in the sump. Thanks!

No shots of the back of the tank. Nothing really to show though. The drain from the overflow is rigid pvc and drops into the sumo. The return is 1/2" ID vinyl tube from the return pump to the bulkhead.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really nice setup. I have this same tank that I used for a single Lionhead Goldfish. When it died, I was gonna use it for a reef setup, but the bottom of mine says it's tempered glass. I ended up just getting a NC 24 DX and putting that on the stand. Is just the bottom tempered? Is that how you were able to drill the back glass?

Really nice setup. I have this same tank that I used for a single Lionhead Goldfish. When it died, I was gonna use it for a reef setup, but the bottom of mine says it's tempered glass. I ended up just getting a NC 24 DX and putting that on the stand. Is just the bottom tempered? Is that how you were able to drill the back glass?

Pretty much every tank that is "tempered" is just tempered on the bottom. Drill the sides to your hearts content.

Any new pictures Evil?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey evil... any more details on the sump? I've been able to find one of these locally in cherry with the stand for a great price and I'm thinking about replacing my 24g NC with it, just because its easier to use a sump with it and it will add a little bit more space. :)

Is the back of the stand structural? I've thought about cutting out enough of the back to slide a 10g in instead of doing a custom acrylic tank as I don't know how well I could build a custom sump, or not.

Specifically, is it made out of 1/4" acrylic? Do you have an diagram of how the sump is laid out?

Anything in the refugium yet? I believe it was empty in the pics. :)

Also, how are you using the media tray in this thing?

Sorry so many questions, but I'm really excited about this tank and yours is pretty much exactly what I'm planning on doing, except with a Viper and a 9002. ;)

Brandon

Carlton'sTank

Tank looks nice. I havn't really checked your thread out since you were just starting this project. I had the same tank as a frag tank, but the dimensions weren't very frag tank friendly and I just got rid of it. It looks really good Evil

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone. I have been swamped.

Nothing really new to report. The tank has been on autopilot and is doing pretty well. My only negative comment is that the purple mushroom plague is getting out of control. Anyone with any good methods of controlling them, other than trying to scrape them off?

Nemo Niblets
Sorry for the lack of updates everyone. I have been swamped.

Nothing really new to report. The tank has been on autopilot and is doing pretty well. My only negative comment is that the purple mushroom plague is getting out of control. Anyone with any good methods of controlling them, other than trying to scrape them off?

Epoxy. Hehehe.

Did that before with GSP. Some of the mushrooms are crowding my zoas, so that's not a good option there. Plus, Aquamend drives skimmers nuts.

Welcome back. :)

What are the details of your sump?

I'm thinking about doing one for my 30g cube with just 1/4" glass, but I also may just cut the back out of it and shove a 10g in there. :D

Brandon

pismo_reefer

You know what killed all my purple mushiez....

low salinity.

not ridiculous,

but going from 1.026 to 1.022 for a couple days did it.

Welcome back. :)

What are the details of your sump?

I'm thinking about doing one for my 30g cube with just 1/4" glass, but I also may just cut the back out of it and shove a 10g in there. :D

Brandon

I had some pics earlier in the thread of the sump. Not too much detail, but the sump is pretty simple. It's just three chambers. The sump is about 14" square, and split down the middle. The right hand side is then split again. There is a cutout in the middle divider for an overflow, then the divider that creates chamber three (for the return) is one inch shorter than that. Not much to it.

You know what killed all my purple mushiez....

low salinity.

not ridiculous,

but going from 1.026 to 1.022 for a couple days did it.

If that was all that was in there, I'd do it. With everything else, I don't want to risk it. Tried Joes Juice, and that seems to piss them off, but doesn't seem to kill them dead. Maybe I'll get a pointy needle for the syringe and inject inside them as opposed to just hoping they injest the stuff.

I had some pics earlier in the thread of the sump. Not too much detail, but the sump is pretty simple. It's just three chambers. The sump is about 14" square, and split down the middle. The right hand side is then split again. There is a cutout in the middle divider for an overflow, then the divider that creates chamber three (for the return) is one inch shorter than that. Not much to it.

Gotcha man. Did you build it yourself? Did you just use 1/4" acrylic?

I've been thinking about using glass to do a 15"x15" or so of a very similar design. :)

Brandon

Yup. Built with my own fair hands. I had a bunch of 1/4" acrylic that I bought a long time ago for other projects, so seeing that there really isn't a good tank that will fit, I had to build. Sapphire was going to be building sumps that were about the same size, but they are now closed :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

REBOOT!! REBOOT!!

So, due to some neglect after my daughter was born (January 2nd 2013), this tank fell into a state of disrepair and became a tank that grew chaeto, aptasia, and purple mushrooms. All of the coral and fish had been moved out of the tank and placed elsewhere until the time came to strip the system down and start fresh. With the amount of pests contaminating the tank, there was no point in trying to fix it, so I'm starting over.

And no, I don't have a picture of the tank before tearing it down. It's too embarrassing :)

So, with my wife and daughter being sick all last week, and having to care for both of them, my wife was kind enough to give me a whole day on Sunday to work in my office/fish room undisturbed. The main focus was cleaning the room up, but with time to spare, I was able to start the tear down of the tank (as well as taking down my 45g freshwater tank that met it's demise due to a lamp that fell in the tank some time the week before).

Almost all of the original equipment is going to be reused, with one exception. I'm saying farewell to the Sunpod, and hello to an LED setup. I know some of you that were following this thread since the beginning scratched your head when the LED Gawd said that he was using MH. I did say that I might get to it eventually, so eventually is now!

The LED setup is already built, and will feature the following:

• 6x solderless Cree XT-E neutral white (4500K)
  • 12x solderless Cree XT-E royal blue
  • 3x solderless OCW (Ocean Coral White)
  • 4x solderless 430nm hyper violet
  • 4x solderless 405nm true violet
  • 12" MakersLED extrusion
  • 2 MakersDRIVER (700mA per channel, 4 channels total)
  • MakersCONTROLLER

The fixture will be mounted over the tank using bent electrical conduit. I'm hoping to take care of that some time this week.

The pump, skimmer and heater will be reused. They are currently sitting in a vinegar bath right now getting cleaned up for the reboot. I did have a Reefkeeper Elite on the tank, but I used so few of its features that I decided to pull it and go old school. For additional flow in the tank, a pair of Koralia 850's will be added, as will a wave maker. The wave maker will most likely be the Hydor Smartwave, unless anyone has a better suggestion.

In preparation for the reboot, I picked up 27lbs of clean dry rock ($2/lb!!). This stuff is sparkly clean and bleach white. I'm really looking forward to having no pests introduced as a result of live rock, but I will miss the potential for hitchhikers and other critters being introduced as a result. Oh well. Clean now means clean later, or so the plan goes. Same goes for the sand. Going to go with a coarser grain sand this time (I've always used sugar fine, but it blows around), and dry instead of live. It's cheaper, and again, no chance of pests.

Scaping will be similar to John Ciotti's awesome "upside down" reef tank. I'm not looking to go quite so thin on the column, but I wanted to have the two Korallias hiding behind the main column to keep them out of sight.

So anyway, that's the plan so far. Picking up sand tonight and finishing up cleaning out the tank and the equipment over the next few days. Hopefully I'll have some good progress come the weekend.

LivingStrong08

Welcome back, Evil!

I was wondering where you were. :)

The LED setup sounds great - sure it's gonna look shweeeeet!

I've been around, mainly in the lighting forum, like usual :)

Hopefully I can keep up the the progress reports on this tank, at least for a while. Don't let me slack off, ok?

So, no sand last night. LFS is out until Thursday.

I did manage to finish cleaning the tank. Got all the remaining loose sand out, and scraped the glass. It's not perfect, but it will work for now. Some of the patches of coraline algae were leaving behind "stains" on the glass. I'm sure once there is water in the tank, it will not be noticeable.

Back to the pumps though. I have the Korallia 850s already, and was looking at a wavemaker for them, but I'm starting to seriously consider a pair of Jebao WP-10s. Wavemaker functionality is already built in, and I can hack them easy enough to make them do my bidding as I see fit. I know the WP-25 and WP-40 have been met with high praise, but haven't heard much about the WP-10 seeing as it's so new. Anyone care to weigh in on these pumps as to whether they are worth a look?

If push comes to shove, I have a Cobalt Neoflow pump that I can use, but it's WAY too much flow. I can hack it though :)

Archived