SaltCritters.com

Jacob's Temperate Tank. *ReefBuilders Mention!*

Jacobnano

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AquaticEngineer

Nice looking chitons!! I'm working with ODFW to legalize the commercial harvest of gastropods in Oregon just so I can sell the those, the nudibranchs, and the dorids.

We found some monster gumby chitons that were over a foot long last weekend :D

You still gotta hit me up next time you head south so we can go out collecting together!

Nice looking chitons!! I'm working with ODFW to legalize the commercial harvest of gastropods in Oregon just so I can sell the those, the nudibranchs, and the dorids.

We found some monster gumby chitons that were over a foot long last weekend :D

You still gotta hit me up next time you head south so we can go out collecting together!

Thanks! I really think they are pretty.

Nice! It might be tough selling the dorids and nudis because of their specific diets, unless you will be selling things like bryzoan along with them.

Yeah! Those things are pretty crazy. A little too big for my tank though ha :P

Do you dive or just collect off the shore?

JoshColdWater

Nice! It might be tough selling the dorids and nudis because of their specific diets, unless you will be selling things like bryzoan along with them.

We free dive and hand collect. Also allot of the dorids take fish and anemone for food, which means keeping them long term is simple. In fact my old tank I broke down after two years had them all over the place and they were hitchhikers!

AquaticEngineer

I was planning on starting a couple species only tanks for the dorids and nudis and keeping their food sources in the other systems. I'm gonna try feeding them frozen food sources that and see how they respond. That way I can harvest a large amount of sponge, or bryzoan, or anemones and flash freeze them to keep for longer periods of time.

We do a little of both, just depends on what the tides are doing. We like to take adavantage of really low tides that get us access on foot to places that are tough to dive along shore. We tend to do more diving, snorkeling, and free diving in the bays.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I guess I should post another FTS. I can't believe this tank has been going for so long, almost 2.5 years! Crazy. Expect another FTS in the near future...after I do a water change.

Thank you Lani! It is incredibly stable now, the tank seems bulletproof! Unless the chiller went out of course...

Archived