temp: 78.3 F

pH: 8.22

alk: 200 ppm

ca: 350 --- i know its low

po4: 0.1

no2/no3: 0/0

nh4: 0

mg: 1400 ppm

Im currently battling bryopsis so I'm getting my mg up to 1700 ppm its kind of a PIA

enjoy

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's about time... lol. Nice pics!

I know what you mean about the bryopsis. I am finally winning my fight with it now after buying some Tech M.

cruzH20polo
It's about time... lol. Nice pics!

I know what you mean about the bryopsis. I am finally winning my fight with it now after buying some Tech M.

Thanks, yea i know its been too long

do you know what ppm your Mg is at? How often/how much do you dose, cuz Ive been adding a lot of m tech and its not really making a dent? How are you testing the Mg level, I'm using the elos Mg test?

Following along! Love the zoas! :)

Thanks! I'm currently working on growth, by the time I move this summer Im hoping for decent sized mini colonies so they handle traveling better

Really nice pics! I think it's common to get overloaded with green... I have to consciously avoid green corals for a while cuz I feel the same!

• 3 weeks later...

Looks grat. Colors are coming out well with the LEDs.

Glad to see everything is going well! Bryposis is a pain - I am sure you will get it...

• 1 month later...
cruzH20polo

So I've got some good news and bad news, I'll be leaving for Hawaii in July I'll be on board the RV kilo Manoa collecting samples until the end of September at station Aloha (north pacific sub-tropical gyre) to look at short term nutrient cycling and microbial activity! Awesome research and I'm really excited!

However this means I'm breaking down the 20L to something self-sustaining for up to 4 months.

What this means for the tank:

-I will be parting with a handful of livestock

- the 20l system will be sold, (minus lights and reef keeper)

In the mean time though here are some pictures!

c7e5558e.jpg

bf689cd0.jpg

3b236d93.jpg

55d8523c.jpg

ac3562fe.jpg

e466d582.jpg

14e4f6c4.jpg

34412baa.jpg

95b1f60b.jpg

21f7dc49.jpg

bdac3478.jpg

Enjoy

cruzH20polo
Awesome tank my man. Makes me want a 20L.

Thanks, I'm sad to break it down it made it through college though...

Hey how did you land that gig in Hawaii?

I did marine microbial ecology work as an undergrad at ucsc, during my thesis looking at nitrogen control in cyanobacteria I was able to detect an unidentified clade of cyanobacteria in the monterey bay. That landed me a position at WHOI in the marine chemistry and geo chemistry department working on dissolved organic phosphates. Then I applied for some field work this summer and got accepted by marine microbial/biogeochemical group at University of hawaii, Ill be at sea until mid sept then I go back to MIT/WHOI to do more work on DOP

• 2 weeks later...
latteslave

That is awesome! Congrats!!!

Too bad about the tank but I am sure you will get something else going.

cruzH20polo
That is awesome! Congrats!!!

Too bad about the tank but I am sure you will get something else going.

Ill have plenty of time on the ship to draw out plans for the next adventure. Im selling the 20L, its been a good system but its time I think to get something new... that tank lasted for a sold 3 years and 4 moves and most of it is DIY and needs some TLC.

congrats on the gig! If you need an assistant... let me know!

I don't know if you want to help... we literally are going to sit in one spot in North Pacific Subtropical Gyre for an extended period of time sampling hourly for 24 hours, I'm a part of a 2 man team working in 12 hour shifts. I'm not 100% sure what ill be working on but I'm pretty sure its going to be measuring methane and methyl- phosphates as well as enzyme activity involved with the metabolism of methylated phosphates

cruzH20polo

well yesterday I removed the RKL and AI sold from the 20l and set up a 10 gallon tank I had cycling with my AC70 and now I am going to be getting that ready for a 3.5 month absence

over the next 2 weeks I am going to be moving some corals I really want to keep over to the 10g and selling the rest of the live stock from the 20L

stay posted

cruzH20polo

I know I know... but progress must be made

So all the corals have been transferred to the "ark" 10 gal, and the only thing left in the 20l are the corals that I am selling being lit by a 70w MH with a 14k lamp

Ill post pics here in a bit

cruzH20polo

this time around it'll be moms, but everything is set up nicely on the RKL and the system is a lot less complicated then the 20L

and Ill have a 32 gallon resivoir for the ato and another 32 gallons of salt water made, there won't even be siphoning for water changes

Arkayology

Good luck with the research this summer! I am leaving again for my own 2 month research project in Peru again. I hope the reef can handle another summer with my absence lol.

• 4 weeks later...
cruzH20polo

Good luck to you too SoCal...

Wellp... This tank has officially been sold and is no more. It was fun while lasted, now off to bigger and better things

Archived