Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Bonsaii Frag Tank-Back Up! sortof

akabryanhall

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
akabryanhall

So I have used epoxy to seal the foam up, I might use another coat. I am a little concerned as I will only have 10 or so lbs of live rock, but will have much more surface area for coralline growth which is important right?

akabryanhall

So I got the tank finished, there are a few things I need to work out, but you get the idea. I think it will look cool once the coralline grows over the foam.

IMG_2442-1.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

So I got the tank finished, there are a few things I need to work out, but you get the idea. I think it will look cool once the coralline grows over the foam.

IMG_2442-1.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

how sturdy is that? u should just buy a f**k load of sand and push the rock deep into it to help keep it from going "TIIIIIIIMMMBEEERRRR" and possibly losing corals in the process

just a thought :) i plan on following this btw haha

I like the idea and all but why bother with all the work if your just using the tank to grow frags? A frag rack above live rock would do the same function. From what I see you are losing a lot of space that could hold more frags. Also, you'll have less light penetration on a few spots because of the structure. How are you going to hold the frags in place, especially ones with the plug?

Good luck though, this could be very interesting indeed!

akabryanhall
how sturdy is that? u should just buy a f**k load of sand and push the rock deep into it to help keep it from going "TIIIIIIIMMMBEEERRRR" and possibly losing corals in the process

just a thought :) i plan on following this btw haha

It's pretty well balanced but am nervous of the bouyancy of the foam. I have the base rock epoxied to the bottom of the tank. I might think about the dsb though thanks.

This is the worst scape I have ever seen... :mellow:

You are now up to 241 posts. Congrats.

The beginning of THUNDER-DOME. Two fish enter one survives!!!!

Lol

interesting concepts, I wonder how this will turn out

Thanks, i must admit it looked a lot better in my head. It was my first attempt at a diy.

akabryanhall
I like the idea and all but why bother with all the work if your just using the tank to grow frags? A frag rack above live rock would do the same function. From what I see you are losing a lot of space that could hold more frags. Also, you'll have less light penetration on a few spots because of the structure. How are you going to hold the frags in place, especially ones with the plug?

Good luck though, this could be very interesting indeed!

Thanks man! you bring up some good points, I had originally planned on drilling hole on the foam, but panicked cause I couldn't figure out how to epoxy the holes so light did not get in them. Mistake one. The plan does take up quite a bit of real estate, I'm actually thinking of doing something a little more "traditional" if I redo it, which I just might. Something with acrylic sheets perhaps.

I stole this pic from the gallery - (thanks Brian92)

But something like this would be much more functional:

propzoom1.jpg

Rocks UNDER the egg crate - gives you all kinds of room for frags at all different levels in the tank and no worries of an avalanche or some other unfortunate accident.

akabryanhall
I stole this pic from the gallery - (thanks Brian92)

But something like this would be much more functional:

propzoom1.jpg

Rocks UNDER the egg crate - gives you all kinds of room for frags at all different levels in the tank and no worries of an avalanche or some other unfortunate accident.

Yes This is what I will do next if I redo it, its functional and looks nice as hell

akabryanhall
Are you going to put this where people can see it?

It's tucked away in a corner of my office, and I'm probably gonna keep it that way until I change it a bit or redo it completely.

wow this looks like crap really.

You should have picked out some nice choice table live rock pieces and got a drill. Drill many holes in the rock and acrylic rod them to desired shape. Use remaining holes to put plugs in. You can also use the sides of rocks for plugs also. HTH

Errrr... I would be concerned about that foam leaching back into the water mate. Frankly you may want to pull that setup and ditch the rock or dremmel off the foam then go get some egg crate and start over using the style in the photo above. Just chalk this one up to experience. If you are dead bang on doing bonsai then acrylic rod and a masonry bit are what you will want to do.

This is the worst scape I have ever seen... :mellow:

+1

go traditional man. this looks like a completely unstable structure. just go eggcrate and you won't even have to worry about drilling holes in foam to mount frags.

akabryanhall

Worst scape ever! God thank you for bringing this to my attention, I would have been so embarrassed if no one had told me. Thank you for letting me know. I can now go about my life in a more peaceful state of mind. I think I might take this mentoring technique to heart and approach parenting the same way. I mean how else will my son know hes a loser unless I tell him I think so.

I thought it was pretty epic looking - something probably a lot better in your mind than in function. But points for creativity.

Thanks man for the kind words, this threads got me depressed, I went ahead and took it down

why do you care what people on nano reef think? you will never see them in person...

ya i was actually really interested in how it turned out.

might even be able to turn a few people into doing one themselves...all it takes is a finished product :)

akabryanhall
why do you care what people on nano reef think? you will never see them in person...

Eh constructive criticism is one thing, enough people taking the time out of their day to tell you its the worst thing they've seen is another. It was something I was proud of, even though it was pretty ugly. I am not a diy'er, so this was fun for me to do. I took it down and maybe I will try something else. Thinking something with acrylic. This forum needs more people like JLwaves

Please do not get me wrong. I too would say you get an A for effort and innovation. My only concern is that the foam you used might leach things into the tank...

Archived