Top Shelf Aquatics

Streetsong's Biocube 29 Mixed Reef

streetsong

nice!!!

I really like one of your purple/blue on your left side middle heigh, what is it ??

ANy luck w/ 5.6 eh ?

Jake

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Jake! I'm still waiting for the 5.6 kit. I called Nanocustoms today and Chris said it should ship out in the next few days. That is Blue Anthelia on the upper left rock. It was sold to me as blue Xenia, (rare and expensive) but a with a little research I discovered that it was actually anthelia. I still think it looks good! Thanks again for you comment.

I am still waiting to get my 5.6 LED retrofit kit from Nanotuners. I ordered it 3 1/2 weeks ago and I'm beginning to get a bit antsy. I'll update again when it arrives.

• 2 weeks later...
streetsong

Still waiting for LED's...I have been patient but now I feel like I'm not being valued as a customer of nanotuners. I ordered the kit almost 5 weeks ago. I know they are busy but this is a little silly!

LostinWater

Wow, great job man. Tank looks great. I hope you get that those LED's soon since you've been waiting a while. I'd say if it's not there this week, call them and get your money back.....Just my opinion.

I have a Sunpod 150w above my BC 29 and everything is doing great.

And don't worry about not updating for a few months, I just got around to updating mine and it was 2 YEARS for mine.

streetsong

Well, I just spoke with Chris, owner of Nanotuners, and he assured me that my LED kit would ship out today. So, we'll see. When it does arrive, I'm installing it the same day.

streetsong

Just got an email from Chris at Nanotuners. So it seems that my order hasn't shipped because they are out of stock on the white LED's. He said it will ship on Monday. To be honest I'm not feeling very patient with Nanotuners at this point. I have been told repeatedly, "It will ship in a day or two." I still believe that their products are top-notch but in my opinion they need to work on customer relations.

Lights have shipped and are scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. Chris upgraded me to priority shipping- a nice gesture, I thought. The next post will be with LED's on tank!

My Nanocustoms 5.6 LED's are finally up and running. The installation was not too difficult, although the directions posted on the Nanotuners were a bit vague at times. The only mistake I made was installing the new Silenx fans facing the wrong direction. Here's a pic right after the install. As you can see I also added an R-2 moonlight:

I decided to go with the standard Edison strips in the following configuration: blue, white, blue, white, blue. I prefer the bluish 20k look, so that's what I'm going for. The lights are non-dimmable so I put a piece of egg-crate over my tank and laid 7 layers of nylon screen on top (too many?). My plan is to remove a layer every 3 or 4 days, keeping an eye on how my corals respond.

Here is an FTS right after switching everything on. Keep in mind, that this is with all of the screen filtering out quite a bit of light.

This morning I created a new signature badge. Now I just have to figure out how to insert it. Any help would be appreciated.

This morning I created a new signature badge. Now I just have to figure out how to insert it. Any help would be appreciated.

How did you make it if you dont mind me asking.

I just used Adobe Illustrator. I thought if I saved at as a JPEG then I could just upload it, instead of having a link but I don't know if that's true.

I just used Adobe Illustrator. I thought if I saved at as a JPEG then I could just upload it, instead of having a link but I don't know if that's true.

Dang, dont have that program. I am not sure on this, but did you try to upload to your gallery here and use the link from that?

Okay, I'll try that. Great idea- Thanks for your help, maddevil!

No problem. I'll be following to see how you like the LEDs with SPS. I didnt have a good experience.

Derekcaudill

I have to say I have never been a fan of macro algae in the display tank area, but yours looks really good!!! Makes me think about it for mine as well. Great looking tank!!! How are you liking the LED's. I am think about the T5 retro for my BC29 if it ever comes out!!!! But if not soon I will have to go with the LED retro cause my stock PC bulbs are getting old and i think are causing some hair algae problems. again, awesome tank!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words, Derek. It's funny, I had never thought of putting macro algae in the display tank either, but when I purchased live rock for this tank, a small piece was already attached. I ended up just leaving it and watching it grow...and grow...and grow. It has to be trimmed back weekly, but I'm really happy with the look of it- It is sawblade caulerpa. I am excited to have the LED's. I'm on day 3 of having them over my tank. I removed one layer on nylon screen (only six left!) and all of my corals are very open. BTW, I got my new sig. to uplodad!

Here's an FTS with only the royal blue lights taken this evening with my iphone. On another thread earlier this week, Evil wrote about how difficult it is to capture the true look of royal blues. Boy, he wasn't kidding. In person, it is a much darker blue and the corals look electric! It's pretty not amazing. The photo, however, is not amazing. Here it is anyway:

I thought I'd give an update on the LED situation. Everything is looking very open at this point with 5 layers of nylon screen under the lights. My green toadstool is larger than it's ever been with great polyp extension. My frogspawn is the only coral that hasn't responded yet. It is about half the size it was before switching out the lights. The coloration on everything is amazing- my iphone camera can not even begin to do it justice.

Also, I cut down my kenya tree yesterday and moved it to my frag tank. It was just getting to big and I didn't really like how it looked in my biocube. I moved my pocilipora from the top of the rock on the upper right, to the kenya tree's former spot. I now have quite a bit of open space on the top to add some sps frags. In addition to the orange digitata on the upper right (it is growing quickly) I am thinking about adding a stylophora, yellow porites, a green pocilipora, and/or a pink birdsnest. A LFS in my area has some nice looking frags of all of these for $15 each and their running a buy 2 get 1 free sale.

That's all for the moment!

Just got home from the LFS. Picked up a pink birdsnest (3" frag), a green povana (1" frag) and lime green pocillipora (2" frag) all for $30. I'll post pics soon.

Archived