inTank Media Baskets

MikeTR's BC14...

MikeTR

So I'm fairly new at the hobby but have always had an interest. My brother has had many a tank running for years so that's where I got the itch. I got the opportunity in January to pick up a BC14 from a friend who needed the money, $100 plus a subwoofer which I valued at about $150. He got the better end of the bargain, but he needed the money and I knew he would give me frags for retarded cheap so I went with it. I had quite a battle with what I originally thought was a pH issue (mainly because my friend said it was)..for the first couple months I did everything humanly possible (except aerate the water outside..doh!) to try and get the pH to even stay above 8.0. I've since given up :) and it runs at 7.7-7.9.. has been for months and looks great!

I've been on the forum for a few months and it's time to put up some photos. I actually picked up a new P&S camera and got to take some shots with it. Still don't know if I like the camera.. but here's the pics anyways.

FTS 07/22/2009

post-44828-1248444895_thumb.jpg

Clownin Around

post-44828-1248445113_thumb.jpg

Eagle Eye Zoas

post-44828-1248445138_thumb.jpg

Candy Cane 'n Stuff

post-44828-1248445145_thumb.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Notice the German blues on the sandbed.. with growth? :) They're hiding behind the isolated GSP. It is possible to grow some SPS with the BC stock lighting. Wanting to give some green birdsnest a try, but I'll probably put that up higher.. Before I do I want to put a little bit more flow in the tank. Looking for a smaller powerhead like a Catalina Mini to create a bit of turbulence. It's mostly softies in here so I haven't wanted to blast anything with a Koralia. Also just picked up a JBJ ATO and Aqualifter that I'll be installing this weekend.

Livestock includes:

Orange and Blue FL Rics (splitting!)

Red,Purple, Green Striped Mushrooms

GSP

Frag of Blastomussa (hiding behind GSP) has grown 5 new heads!!

Candy Cane

Toadstool Leather

Eagle Eye Zoas

Other various Zoas and Palys

Kenya Tree

Xenia

German Blue Digitata

Hammer Coral

Feather Duster

BTA anemone (was fairly bleached when I obtained the specimen, starting to color up)

8 Blue Leg Hermits

2 Scarlet Hermits

5 Astrea snails

Some unknown yellow hitchhiker polyps.. they are cool, they suck all the way into the rock.

Here's a pic of the yellow hitchiker polyps... Can someone ID? They suck back into the rock.

post-44828-1248493684_thumb.jpg

Here they are sucked into the rock.

post-44828-1248539306_thumb.jpg

Got the rock out of a tank at the LFS.. they were removing a bunch of rock to catch shrimp.. They don't have any type of mat like a zoa does.

Hopefully not :) Haven't seen it spread anywhere else though.. I haven't even noticed if they've multiplied. They do look like they've grown larger since I've first gotten the rock.

• 1 month later...

Some updated shots. Took out some of the palys and rearranged the zoa garden a bit. Have a few additions as well. Had a few casulties with the digitata..

FTS: 09/01/2009

post-44828-1251851518_thumb.jpg

Orange Delights

post-44828-1251851585_thumb.jpg

Bam Bams

post-44828-1251851893_thumb.jpg

Candy Cane (can see a few heads have split since the last pic)

post-44828-1251852062_thumb.jpg

Hammer coral looks way better since I moved it up in the rock work..

post-44828-1251852252_thumb.jpg

Thanks.. it's come a long way in 9 months. Lighting is just the stock 24w 10k and Actinic. Only have a few mods.. media rack in center chamber running floss on top, chaeto with 5w submersible light 24/7, purigen/chemipure on the bottom. Have a JBJ ATO installed. Evap is about 1/2 gal/wk. For water movement I upgraded the return pump to a maxijet 600. I've considered adding a koralia nano again..but when I had it before I thought it was too rough on my softies.. also I took the feeding lid off in case a fan goes bad it won't heat the tank.. that happened once and toasted some stuff. I dose 2.5ml of B-Ionic almost daily.. I skip a day here and there. pH is always low.. 7.65-7.8 due to indoor CO2 issue.. darn newer homes. I'm patiently waiting on some birdsnest colonies.. and for some tubs blues to recover. Can't wait!

Hitchhiker is still a mystery.

OK so maybe I should have went to bed a little earlier last night.. while I was sitting on the couch I felt this sharp pain in my ass.. SPS bug bit me and I bought 8 Cree Q5 XR-E Royal Blue, 8 Cree Q5 XR-E Cool White, and 3 BuckPuck drivers. I've got a few leads on a spare hood so I can take my time on the build..I believe this is what's left to buy.. 2 pots for dimming, 8.5" x 5" Heatsink from heatsinkUSA, some wiring, and probably lunch for our maintenance dept at work to drill and tap the heatsink. I have a couple older Dell powersupply's..need to check what they are.. but they'll probably work.. anything else I'm missing?

Well i bought the drivers already... what's the advantage of using the meanwells besides not needing a power supply? I should mention I'm only going to run 12 LEDs. Decided to have a few spares handy if needed.

The meanwells can handle 13 LEDs each. If the pucks can handle 6 each and your old PS works and can handle it then theres not much advantage at all besides the Meanwells remove one component and some wiring.

LEDS came in the mail a few days ago.. just waiting on my heatsink and these slackers on this forum to find me a spare hood so I can start the build!

New additions 09/09/09.

LFS had it listed as Red Meteor Shower.. looks like war coral to me..I thought it was a steal at $25. The eyes were a bright green under the LFS lighting.. the LEDs should bring this out. Can't Wait!!!

post-44828-1252609987_thumb.jpg

Blue Cloves.. (not in this tank though) FINALLY!!!!

post-44828-1252610022_thumb.jpg

Blastomussa Welsi.. not really new, but never had a good shot posted.

post-44828-1252610190_thumb.jpg

FTS.. the anenome was looking fat and happy at lunch today.

post-44828-1252610153_thumb.jpg

Here is what the nem looked like at the beginning of May when I purchased the specimen. If I had known then what I know now.. I might have gotten a healthier one, wasn't aware of the bleaching at the time. But after scrutinizing karensroseanemones.com for a while.. i quickly figured out how to save him. Just stable parameters and twice weekly feedings. I think it even lost it's stickiness for a week or two.. which made it even more difficult to feed, I just carefully placed the silverside in its mouth during that period.

post-44828-1252611773_thumb.jpg

And for those that care... you can definitely see the benefit of running chaeto and chemipure.. look at all that algae!!! Don't have that problem now.

• 2 weeks later...

So I almost have everything I need for my build.. just need to find some pots, fans, and get our machine shop to tap the heatsink for me. I really don't have the desire to drill it myself :). I'll need to order some pots as our local radio shack is a hole in the wall and the selection sucks. Everything they have has got a 2" post..or some that are labeled audio with some extra hookups.. unsure if those would work..in either case none of them are the 5K. Only 10k on up. I was able to test that all the LEDs fired.. i'm hoping I didn't ruin anything by lighting them individually at full blast. I used the luxeon 1000ma driver powered by the supply mentioned below and just touched the wires of the puck to each LED for a few seconds each and blinded myself 16 times. Fun! It's a good thing I ordered a few extras as one of the plastic lenses is loose.

I have some questions on how many fans I can wire up.. or if I may need an additional power supply. I had planned on using 2 20v 3.5A dell branded PS so I can run the whites and blues separately. I was hoping I could run 4 fans (2 on the heatsink, and the stock fans) but I think that if each fan is 12v, I'd need a 24v supply to run 2 fans off each supply along with the 6 leds.. some input req'd here..

Archived