Coral Vue Hydros

Clown fish behaviour

shon982

^^ Far too much food ^^ 1-3 Pellets, or frozen mysis a day is more than enough.

1 Cube lasts me over a week with daily feedings. Dont go nuts on feeding, or buying every food under the sun. You will soon find that the clown will eat anything you put in the tank once it settles.

oh no no no i didn't mean the whole 1/4th food. What i do is pour tank water into a cup, let some of the mysis sit and stir. Than i'll grab a turkey baster and slowly feed, but very little cause they go a long way. Than i just put the cup in the fridge with a bag covering the top. Lasts just over a week like you said.

oh no no no i didn't mean the whole 1/4th food. What i do is pour tank water into a cup, let some of the mysis sit and stir. Than i'll grab a turkey baster and slowly feed, but very little cause they go a long way. Than i just put the cup in the fridge with a bag covering the top. Lasts just over a week like you said.

Hmmmm.... I never thought about saving it for ease of use for future feedings. I may have to adopt this method for a short period of time.

The 1/4th of a cube sounds apt for my pair; they love gobbling down food and they're still growing. It also sounds right for a larger clown. Though hey, maybe it's totally okay to feed less; I just haven't tested it. :P

Hmmmm.... I never thought about saving it for ease of use for future feedings. I may have to adopt this method for a short period of time.

I wouldn't keep thawed food in the fridge for more than a day or so, but it's true that others keep it for longer.

I use tiny jelly jars (with lids) to keep my food. You know, like the sample type jars that hotels sometimes have.

I thaw out a whole cube with some tank water. I use a turkey baster and feed my clowns and tailspot drop by drop. When they stop eating, I stop feeding. I end up feeding about 1/2 cube each day.

I feed brine shrimp. Mine love it. They dont care much for flakes. I had 1 and when i first put it in the tank it was zipping everywhere, finally settled in a couple days later. I added my second clown yesterday immeditely took very well to the tank and my first one has no problem at all with its addition. The original did a little shaking to it and they swim everywhere together. They sleep together as well. Last night they slept together at the top of the water where right behind where the water comes out of.

• 6 years later...

Hi guys I am new to marine life. I brought two young ocellaris clownfish.

They seem fine no white spots bright in colour but..... they don’t really rest in one spot (up and down up and down). I have only had them two days. They are also not taking food. 
I am thinking maybe I have to much water agitation from my spray bar?....That atm is above the water.

is this normal for clown fish I would really appreciate your  advise as there is not much out there after searching online and YouTube videos on spray bar setting ect for marine fish coming over from cichlids.

thanks 

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

The up down swimming is a sign of stress which is fairly common in new clownfish.  They should stop that shortly.  Then they'll probably exhibit some other annoying behavior. :lol:

It's quite common for new fish to not eat for a few days.  Just make sure there is no detectable ammonia and keep trying to feed them.  Sometimes they may be more willing to eat a particular type of food (like what they were previously eating).  You might try some frozen food (like Rod's Food), or even a decade flake food (like Ocean Nutrition).  Once they start eating, they are usually little pigs.

The floor shouldn't be affecting them too much.  However, you might try turning the flow off when feeding, to see how they react.  But again, once they start eating, the flow shouldn't matter.

• Like 1
On 7/24/2009 at 5:12 AM, shon982 said:

well the story is i bought a true percula clown fish yesturday and since its my first saltwater tank i didnt know what to expect.

the question is, is it normal for it to be in the corner or top of the tank pretty much most of the time swimming against the current in the up and down motion.

i put in one pellet today but it didnt eat it, other than that its colours seems fine, no breathing problems.

I'm not sure if it may be lonely?

Maybe shy? because i havent seen it searching for food, just mainly swimming at the top of the tank.

let me know if you need any other information...

The clown fish should be fine, it sounds like you just added it to the tank. In a few weeks the clown should be good 😄 Just keep trying to feed it and as long as it eats something every few days it should survive.