ReefCleaners.org

My 6 Gallon Fluval Edge - Office Tank

pimp4cheddar

Do you think a filter similar to this would be complete overkill for the fluval tank?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=19622

That would be completely over the top...That's way too much to much money to spend on the tank...

hey pimp4chedda watching your progress. how is it working out? still planing some LED

I stopped looking for LED's as the lights I have right now are pretty nice...I'm thinking of just putting in some type of LED Strip to just add a little blue...

Cool thread. I have one of these tanks on my kitchen counter with a freshwater thing going. I was overly concerned with the lighting and decided it be a better deal to go fresh. My wife is in charge of this tank and it keeps her happy, so I can run my reef tank.

b5477c8f.jpg

That's a nice planted tank and I love the location...it looks great!!!

I thought of going fresh/planted but I know nothing about the hobby...so I figured I'll stick to salt!

It's a sweet tank with some serious limitations. I'm still fiddling with mine. This is what I have tried so far with the lighting on the edge tank. Not sure if I am done with the mod's yet. We'll see how the softies do.

post-47918-1255997495_thumb.jpg

Your tank looks like it's coming along pretty good. There's a member of ReefCentral that did a complete LED retrofit (the kind that Evil does) and it looks great. I'm at work, but I have his link saved on my personal laptop at home, when I get home I'll post the link for you to see it.

I believe he brought all the material from Home Depot (which surprised me...I didn't know Home Depot sold LED's). It's really clean and I believe he was able to keep the black top that comes with the tank!!!

I like the idea...but I think the bulb that you have on the tank right now is too big to fit the top on.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yo pimp, have any new updates? speaking of n-p corals, I just got a nice sized sun coral colony this week. If you're still having trouble finding any n-p's I might just have to send you a frag once I start getting some growth off of the colony ;)

FIRE...what's going on dude...

Sorry for the late replies...I've been swamped with work and school. Mostly work as I hardly go to class now-a-days.

There aren't really any major updates to the tank. I stopped looking for N-P corals and just keep it pretty simple and low-cost. My little Clown Goby passed away...so it's just my Purple Firefish (but I'm looking to get a new fish this week). Mr. Purple doesn't know...so it'll be an X-Mas surprise.

Besides that I've just kept up with the cleaning of the tank and so on... I've focused more on my home tank instead...

I'm always interested in some Sun Corals... I'll proabably stick in my home tank, grow them out and put a frag in this small guy.

I'll reach out to you alittle later for some!!!

I'll grab my camera within the next day or two to snap some pics...

Thanks again,

AWESOME!

just.plain.AWESOME! :D

Thanks dude!!!

I'm pretty sike...Today my new addition to the tank came in the mail.

I ordered three fish from a local group buy. It's great...we get to order the fish directly from the Vendor and pay wholesale on everything. I think my best purchase was $1.25 for a Clown Goby! Best going to my LFS for livestock any day of the week...

Anywho...I ordered: 1 Yellow Watchman Goby, 1 Cave Goby and 1 Tangaroa Goby.

I'm aiming to place either the Cave or Tangaroa in this tank and take the other two for my home tank. ANY THOUGHTS???

Links for clicks: I'll post some pics up later...

Yellow Watchman

Cave

Tangaroa

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this tank in my LFS, and it looks sweet in real life. The only problem is that it might be tricky to get some adequate lighting in the tank.

Lookin' good tho.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
thesmokingman
Just a FYI...tanks on sale at Petsmart with your perks card, reduced from 129.99 to 103.99 but my stores only had the black version.

I just got this tank last month, in blk at that price too. It's very sleek albeit with limitations.

I've got a few ponds of rock curing atm. I bought some mr11 10 smd led bulbs off Amazon for 12 bucks ea. These are not covered and will be damaged by moisture or water contact so I used a salt and corrosion resistant clear coat, upol #1. I use this stuff to protect my carbon fiber bike and car parts from uv also. It's good stuff.

So far so good. It's a really attractive tank and spices things up a bit.

What do you all think about the halogens being so close to the water in the top column....any issues experienced? I am about to launch into this very Frank-Lloyd nano aquarium....excellent design. Will be interested in pursuing the LED conversion for lighting though.

Much thanks for the pictures and posts....still interested in seeing your final set up.

thesmokingman

I looked at the different led bulbs available and went with ledwholesaler.com's 10 smd mr11 bulbs sold at amazon, partly because the shipping was free. They put out a nice wide pattern. I also added a flexible led strip.

post-49678-1264566774_thumb.jpg

post-49678-1264566801_thumb.jpg

post-49678-1264566814_thumb.jpg

I looked at the different led bulbs available and went with ledwholesaler.com's 10 smd mr11 bulbs sold at amazon, partly because the shipping was free. They put out a nice wide pattern. I also added a flexible led strip.

post-49678-1264566774_thumb.jpg

post-49678-1264566801_thumb.jpg

post-49678-1264566814_thumb.jpg

Nice very nice... Where did you get the led strip from? Did you have to wire it up or did it come ready to go? I just got an Fluval edge and Im wondering how to light it :D

thesmokingman
Nice very nice... Where did you get the led strip from? Did you have to wire it up or did it come ready to go? I just got an Fluval edge and Im wondering how to light it :D

I got these ones here but found this smd lightbar which looks very promising. It looks to have wider light dispersion than the strip. It should also put out the same wavelength as the flexible strip which is 470nm, can be cut and waterproof too.

The wiring is just crack open the lid and splice, or you can just rig it up and stick the leads on with the led bulb.

I got these ones here but found this smd lightbar which looks very promising. It looks to have wider light dispersion than the strip. It should also put out the same wavelength as the flexible strip which is 470nm, can be cut and waterproof too.

The wiring is just crack open the lid and splice, or you can just rig it up and stick the leads on with the led bulb.

Cool info. I think im going to do a custom LED setup in my fluval

pimp4cheddar how is the tank coming along?

The tank is going great!

I really do apologize for the lack of updates...but I should be updating this pretty often!!!

Some may not know...but I recently lost the Purple Firefish and Tangoria Goby because of a drop of temp... It was my fault because I didn't have a heater on my tank in the first place. I flew out to Cali on a Monday morning...and it turns out the temp in Florida was around the low 40's so my guys froze!

Since then I'v added a 50watt Marine Land Stealth Pro heater and it's great! My temps are pretty steady and I shouldn't have any issues at all! The heater is a little big as I wanted something that I can fit into the filter (AC20). I didn't want to have anything in the tank, but to have a good heater and a stable tank...you have to buy a big enough heater! The heater is solid though...it's not glass so I have no worries of it breaking. It has a color dial so I can see when it's on or off. It shuts off automatically and has a ton of other features! I recommend this heater to everyone!

Once my tank was cleaned up, heated and working right...I added a Purple Firefish and a YWG. I ordered a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp...but he didn't survive the shipping!

I really appreciate everyone still stopping by to say hello and leave comments even though I've neglected you all!

Below are a few pics I took right now of the tank, heater, fish, zoa frag and filter media (I got a few questions on it).

I have a hand full of ricordia's at my house...waiting to be put into this tank. I just wanted to make sure the temp was fine before putting them in! The mini zoa frag is just the test subject...so far so good!

The tank with a heater in it (it's pretty hidden):

DSCF1594.jpg

DSCF1595.jpg

New Firefish:

DSCF1610.jpg

New YWG:

DSCF1608.jpg

New zoa frag:

DSCF1609.jpg

Filter and carbon (purapad):

DSCF1599.jpg

DSCF1600.jpg

DSCF1601.jpg

As you can see I removed all the filter media the tank came with...and simply put in a purapad. I face the white net towards the water flow...and it acts as my only filtration. I've tried Chemipure and a few other media's, but this is by far the best I've seen.

Chemipure is good if you haver room for it, but this pad does everything. My water is constantly crystal clear, nits are down and it removes a ton of things from my water. I do a 1 gallon water change every week and feed every other day...so I'm pretty sure that helps with my tank being so stable.

If anyone has any questions....post it here or send me a PM, I'll be happy to help!

Thanks,

~Carlos

Thanks Carlos!

Yes, you have definitely made some great updates and have answered my Pura questions!

(and just for the record, I did it the right the way, lol)

Can't wait to get my Edge thread going!

Looks great!

Thanks again!

danielle

@pimp4cheddar sorry about your loss of fish. However, the tank is looking awesome and the heater will keep temps steady going forward( I have the same heater). The coraline is killer - what salt mix do you use? Dosing anything in the tank?

@pimp4cheddar sorry about your loss of fish. However, the tank is looking awesome and the heater will keep temps steady going forward( I have the same heater). The coraline is killer - what salt mix do you use? Dosing anything in the tank?

Thanks buddy. The loss of fish was completely my fault. I don't dose anything...just keep up with the water changes. It's all pretty simply as the tank is lightly stocked and I feed every other day. This thing is more stable than my 29 gallon...

Thanks buddy. The loss of fish was completely my fault. I don't dose anything...just keep up with the water changes. It's all pretty simply as the tank is lightly stocked and I feed every other day. This thing is more stable than my 29 gallon...
Thats whats up!!! I agree it is pretty stable. I saw a slug crawl out of my LR today, so I will give it another week or two to "cycle"

What are the dimensions of the top that covers the hole????

I was thinking an ecoxotic LED stunner strip or two could fit under that hood for accent lighting to the LED replacement bulbs. Just a thought. I put two of these in my 29 gallon and it gives off a pretty good halide shimmer effect. I bet it would do wonders for such a small tank. Just my $.02.

I was thinking an ecoxotic LED stunner strip or two could fit under that hood for accent lighting to the LED replacement bulbs. Just a thought. I put two of these in my 29 gallon and it gives off a pretty good halide shimmer effect. I bet it would do wonders for such a small tank. Just my $.02.

Hello Marine1

Hood cover is 9"Lx8"Wx3.5"H - Interior opening is 7"x5"

What lights are these? Also...any pics?

I'd love to add some blue LED's to the tank...

Thanks,

Hey Carlos,

Just wanted to let you know I put some pics of the leds that i used in the thread that i posted today if you'd like to check them out.

danielle

Archived