My 6 Gallon Fluval Edge - Office Tank

pimp4cheddar

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the detailed response...

JG- I believe these are them...

http://ledwaves.com./Illum-MR-11-LED-Light...ED-p-19620.html

Tenacious...those are the exact lights...just make sure you get them as wide and cool white as possible.

The shipper was great to work with but didn't offer any discounts :angry: !!!

The lights honestly look great at night. I was doing a water change last week and finished around 7pm...and just sat looking at the tank. It's freaking sexy at night. The problem is I get so much light in my office during the day that the tank doesn't look as white/blue as it really should.

I took a few pics and they are horrible...The tank looks very yellowish because I'm having a diatoms bloom like crazy...I'll try and snap a few later tonight to give you folks a better understanding of how it really looks:

Full Tank Shot:

DSCF1346.jpg

DSCF1350.jpg

Rock Scape:

DSCF1347.jpg

DSCF1348.jpg

Xenia (which is holding up extremely well):

DSCF1359.jpg

New Lights:

DSCF1354.jpg

Match Up:

DSCF1355.jpg

DSCF1356.jpg

1 of each light:

DSCF1357.jpg

Both LED's:

DSCF1351.jpg

Little man (clown goby) felt like being shy...:

DSCF1365.jpg

DSCF1369.jpg

Overall the tank looks great. I took out a lot of sand because I was having a HUGE Cyno problem 2 weeks ago...that's what happens when you top off with Spring Water...

Anywho, as you can see...I redid the entire tank. Lights, Sand, Live Rock...

Feel free to ask away...I'm getting my Purple Firefish in this Thursday so I'll take a few more piktars then...

pimp4cheddar

I Just received my Purple Firefish after much debate about what fish to put in it...

Great looking fish and was eating about 10 minutes after being put in the tank. I added a few more snails and crabs...but I didn't acclimate 1 of the snails much and he's just sitting on the rock. He's fallen over twice in the past 3 days...is he done for?

After much battling...I'm still having a bad Cyno problem on my sand...I'm pretty good with my water changes and I try to syphon all the bad sand during the water change. Within a few days the Cyno is back...

Any thoughts?

The snail is probably a gonner. It's happened to me even with acclimating them for extended periods.

My cyano took forever tpo get rid of. Turns out I was overfeeding. How often do you change water?

pimp4cheddar

I change water every week. About 1-2 gallons every Sunday.

Lights are on from 9am-6pm.

I feed every 3 days.

I'm still at a lost...should I just remove all the sand and add new sand?

FiReBrEaThInGCuTtLeFiSh!XD

I doubt changing the sand would do you any good. If anything it would probably just stress the hell out of your fish just to have the cyano return as it sounds like its coming from somewhere other than your sandbed. I would recommend beefing up your cuc and getting a fuzzy chiton. also taking out the rock work and scrubbing it wouldn't be a bad idea(although a pita). Lastly you could run over to your lfs and get some red slime remover. It will take a while with several treatments but it is specifically designed to kill off the cyanobacteria and nothing else. It'll kill both red and blue/green slime as well, and would eventually get rid of the cyano.

pimp4cheddar

Thanks for the feedback. About 2 hours I just went to the lFS and brought a BEASTING CUC...

Few different snails (for glass and sand)...few different crabs (different colors)...

So far the crabs are going to work!

I'll keep you folks updated on the battle!

I doubt changing the sand would do you any good. If anything it would probably just stress the hell out of your fish just to have the cyano return as it sounds like its coming from somewhere other than your sandbed. I would recommend beefing up your cuc and getting a fuzzy chiton. also taking out the rock work and scrubbing it wouldn't be a bad idea(although a pita). Lastly you could run over to your lfs and get some red slime remover. It will take a while with several treatments but it is specifically designed to kill off the cyanobacteria and nothing else. It'll kill both red and blue/green slime as well, and would eventually get rid of the cyano.
pimp4cheddar
yo pimp, you ever gonna get dem sun corals?

I'm looking bro...

The LFS wants a pretty penny for them...so I'll keep looking for locals that have some for sale.

Your tank is looking awesome! increasing my flow made my cyano go away within three days.

Thanks Buddy!

The flow is pretty good...but I can't raise it even if I wanted to. It's a small hang on filter and it's on HI...

I think the CUC I brought might do the job...we'll see!!!

pimp4cheddar
How are you liking the tank so far? I may be getting one of these tanks soon.

The tank is great. I've had it for alittle bit now...so the OHHH factor is gone. But the tank is still great. I wish it had alittle more flow...but it's great.

It's an awsome tank for $150. The lights suck and you'll have to LED's or just make a LED fixture from scratch. I would love too, but I don't have the time nor the patience to do it...so I just brought two bulbs.

pimp4cheddar
Thanks for the updates...

Do you get microbubbles from the filter return splashing into the tank?

If the water level is too low...you'll get a ton of bubbles. The key is to top off and keep the water level fairly high. If you can do this every 2 days...you'll never see any bubbles and the tank is indeed the cube it's suppose to be!

I couldn't figure out why I had bubbles when I first got the tank...but I figured it out soon.

love the pics. If your really unsatisfied with the flow, go get a koralia nano or mini pump, granted you'll have a wire but you could always grab some of the suction clips used for securing airtube lines and run it up the seem and top and out of the back. PITA but doable. Just got another free mag from my lfs and it has an article (which I haven't had the time to read yet) about a non-photo coral Archohelia rediviva

Aussie-Archohelia-Coral-Archohelia-.jpg

It'd go great with the whole non-photo dominated tank discussed when you started your planning thread for this tank. Just thought I'd share. Also throw a porcelain anemone crab in there(don't need a nem). Awsome looking guys and completely reef safe(you can check out my latest pic of mine in the 10g link in my sig.)

(edit) got the pic working

pimp4cheddar

That coral is sick!

Here in Orlando the local Reef Club holds a quarterly Frag Event where normal corals that would go for $50-$60 sell for $10-$20.

We have one coming up next month...so I'll keep a look out for nonphotos!

love the pics. If your really unsatisfied with the flow, go get a koralia nano or mini pump, granted you'll have a wire but you could always grab some of the suction clips used for securing airtube lines and run it up the seem and top and out of the back. PITA but doable. Just got another free mag from my lfs and it has an article (which I haven't had the time to read yet) about a non-photo coral Archohelia rediviva

It'd go great with the whole non-photo dominated tank discussed when you started your planning thread for this tank. Just thought I'd share. Also throw a porcelain anemone crab in there(don't need a nem). Awsome looking guys and completely reef safe(you can check out my latest pic of mine in the 10g link in my sig.)

(edit) got the pic working

Cool thread. I have one of these tanks on my kitchen counter with a freshwater thing going. I was overly concerned with the lighting and decided it be a better deal to go fresh. My wife is in charge of this tank and it keeps her happy, so I can run my reef tank.

b5477c8f.jpg

It's a sweet tank with some serious limitations. I'm still fiddling with mine. This is what I have tried so far with the lighting on the edge tank. Not sure if I am done with the mod's yet. We'll see how the softies do.

post-47918-1255997495_thumb.jpg

yo pimp, have any new updates? speaking of n-p corals, I just got a nice sized sun coral colony this week. If you're still having trouble finding any n-p's I might just have to send you a frag once I start getting some growth off of the colony ;)

Archived