Coral Vue Hydros

20L. AIO. foam wall.

glennr1978

Paleoreef103

Is it just the one Maxijet (1200?) providing movement? Sweet tank though. Why only 2 T5s? That 430 could do 4 T5s.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it just the one Maxijet (1200?) providing movement? Sweet tank though. Why only 2 T5s? That 430 could do 4 T5s.

Yep, just one mj900 for flow. It gives me plenty where I need it (the left side of the tank), and not as much where I need slower flow (the right side). I tried a mj1200, but it was actually a little to strong. I know it doesn't really seem like it would be, but it was. You have to keep in mind that I really only wanted higher flow through about 1/3 to 1/2 of the tank. That being stated, the 230gph is plenty for an area that is roughly 10" x 10" (after accunting for the areas that are covered in foam on that side of the tank). I'm not sure if you can tell in the pics, but the mj900 is strong enough to create little "sand dunes" in that area.

the reason I'm only using 2 t5's is because that is really all that will fit effectively. That, and I don't really plan on keeping any high light SPS in this tank. The SPS will be limited to just monti's, and birdsnest for the most part.

It's painted.

photo13.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo11.jpg

I'm about to run to Lowes to get a handle for the lid, and I still need to order some fans and a power supply for them.

Get one of those giant gaudy gold handles! oh and a doorbell to install on it.

I was thinking more along the lines of a crystal door knob and a couple of deadbolts.

Let there be light....

photo16.jpg

photo14.jpg

photo15.jpg

It turned out pretty good, and the light is brighter than I expected even though I'm currently using 2 old Current USA junk bulbs (will be replaced very soon).

Once I get my fans installed (ordered them earlier today) all I will need to do is get an ATO up and running. My god this tank is sooooo simple....... I love it!!

hey pal!!! wow i go away for a bit, and i missed so much! well i hate to see that amazing 40 go, but i know for sure this 20 will become just as amazing!! i know you dont have enough room in that tank for all your sps, so feel free to ship some of those beautys! i wont mind!!!

great job so far!!! keep up the awesome work!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone.

The tank has actually changed quite a bit. I've started moving over all the corals that I want to keep from my 40g and I've ended up with alot more SPS than I intended. I also have a little 6 line wrasse that will live with my clownfish once they get transfered over.

Sorry, there won't be any pics for a while, I'm in the middle of moving and have no idea where my camera is.

• 4 weeks later...

Since I finally got rid of my 40g I found alot more interest in this tank. I'm really trying to keep it simple, but I'm not sure that's going to last. I'm probably going to end up with more SPS than I intended to have. Actually, I already have more SPS in the tank than what I had planned, oh well.

How high does the skimmer cup sit above the tank rim. I,m trying to see if it will clear my canopy

I don't remember exactly, but I think it's about 4.5".

what type of lights are in this beast glenn?

As of now I'm running 2x's 24w t5's driven by an Icecap 430 w/ SLR reflectors. The bulbs are 1 ATI "blue plus" and 1 ATI "aqua blue special". This combo is okay, but I will probably get a couple of the new KZ 14k bulbs (forgot what they're called).

Thanks guys. So far I'm pretty happy with the way the tank has turned out. I'm going to be adding a few things in the coming weeks. I've got an mp10 on the way, and have my eye on a few acans that I'm thinking about getting. I'm also going to be getting a dosing pump in the BRS GB.

It's looking great Glenn!

thanks. just got back from the LFS, picked up a cleaner shrimp, 5 more scarlet red leg hermits, 5 more snails, and a frogspawn.

This is going to be a busy week for my little tank. I've got an mp10, 2 part doser (brs), and 12 rics from coralmorphologic coming over the next few days.

Archived