Cultivated Reef

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

Question for you Solana owners out there (sorry if this is an inappropriate thread to post this).... I'm in the planning stages of my Solana and have a question. Has anyone come across a build thread where someone removed the Back panel and went drilled with a sump/fuge? I've seen some questions regrading the drilling and such on other forums but no build threads thus far.

Appreciate any help and i'll throw my name in the owners thread when the build commences :)

i think someone on RC is attempting it. we'll see how it turns out.

My opinion is why would they drill the tank when you better off just custom make your own tank. But hey more power to the person that take that chance to drill it. :)

My opinion is why would they drill the tank when you better off just custom make your own tank. But hey more power to the person that take that chance to drill it. :)

I agree... but think how much deeper the tank would be! i wonder if anyone makes a rimless glass cube of similar dimensions.

Gasturbineguy

Agreed... DIY is king when you factor in quality assurance & control but time is a factor as is everything else (I'm in the middle of a whole house remodel regrettably). I had looked at Glasscages.com but was turned off be some mixed reviews and their prices seem a bit high tbh.

Once I factor in my time and cost for materials is kinda cheaper and easier to just buy a proven tank and mod it (the 34g Sol is a damn steal in my opinion).... got to admit I love modding stuff :D . I'll build the acrylic sump myself as not many people make a cube sump/fuge with the features I want. I'll be sure to youtube a video for the tank drill, seems to be little examples on drilling the Solanas.

Medred- thanks for the RC heads-up. Just trolled through a bunch of nano threads there. Some good Solana info to be sure.

Hmm, I really need to find out a good way to put a top on this. Does the glass with the clamps not work well? I may want to try and build something else for the top.

Edited by atlweb
rufousreefer

Ok, I think it is time for me to join this thread too. My solana has been running pretty bare for a month and a half.

This thread should be fun to follow.

How much live rock do you guys carry in your solana's? I noticed a lot of solanas on here dont have a lot of live rock, or at least less than a pound per gallon and I am wondering if water levels are still easy to balance without that extra filtration?

I think I am going to remove some of my rock to make a better aquascape if I can get away with it.

How much live rock do you guys carry in your solana's? I noticed a lot of solanas on here dont have a lot of live rock, or at least less than a pound per gallon and I am wondering if water levels are still easy to balance without that extra filtration?

I think I am going to remove some of my rock to make a better aquascape if I can get away with it.

LESS IS MORE!!!

i try to open up my surrounding to get alot of flow movements and its going great for me so far.

i think i have about 15lbs. of live rocks in my tank plus i used zipties to zip my rocks to make a zen look!

haha I am all about less is more too, but isnt the live rock good for the habitat? No problems with water levels?

I really love your tank though man! I just ordered a leopard wrasse and porcelain crab to join my ywm goby and clown pair!

Would a protein skimmer help? I just know more rocks help balance the Ph, but I could be wrong?

Edited by atlweb

haha I am working on it... I just need to get this aquascape first before I take some pictures. But seriously. I might take out some rock right now if you can give me some good advice with how to keep levels good with less rock!

i have no sand, less rocks, no rock rubbles, and still maintain good growth.

i use B-Ionic 2 parts each day. and my green and orange monti is growing like weed! you should be fine if you take out some to make room for certain corals to be placed in your tanks. i am thinking about adding sand to my bare bottom but not quite sure yet!

I definitely need a sand bed, but I think I do need to take out a little bit of rock!

you can wrap the rocks that you're taking out in damp newspaper and send some out over to me. I guess I need some more in my tank. Thanks!

haha I would... except I ended up not taking anything out and just rearranging it :)

Ps: I made a top for the solana today. I took a metal/lead gardening type fence, cut it out and used plexiglass as a frame with some clamps and adhesive to put it all together. Cost me 20 bucks and looks a little cheesy but gets the job done.

My girlfriends dad is a pretty big handyman, so I am going to ask him to make one that fits on the tank a little bit better.

haha I would... except I ended up not taking anything out and just rearranging it :)

Ps: I made a top for the solana today. I took a metal/lead gardening type fence, cut it out and used plexiglass as a frame with some clamps and adhesive to put it all together. Cost me 20 bucks and looks a little cheesy but gets the job done.

My girlfriends dad is a pretty big handyman, so I am going to ask him to make one that fits on the tank a little bit better.

picture pictures pictures is worth a thousand word. No worries at least you made some progress and get the job done. Post it up bro.

add me 2 the list guys. i bought it as a ecocube but its clearly a solana. the box said so :lol:

this sound like a good idea. i will make a section for SOLANA 25G Ecocube. how about that LOL. we can all join the solana family. :)