inTank Media Baskets

MedRed's 34 Gallon Solana (R.I.P. 01/07/2010)

MedRed

The Jawfish is still in his little house. He just flipped a snail off of his barnacle like, "oh no you don't!" Lol

I went to look for the tailspot blenny in his little hide out... he wasn't there! I immediately noticed him at the front of the tank timidly picking at rocks. He's still dark and showing stress spots... but I guess he's too hungry to worry about that at the moment.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Ando, the blenny is still showing stress coloration, but he's front and center now and coming out of his new hole quite a bit.

latest update... I will hold at this stage for awhile. I will be looking for the perfect fixture (20" or possibly 24" 250w HQI w/ 2 T5 fixtures and moonlights). My next project will be creating a mixed zoa rock with 2-3 polyps each of various colored zoas.

So... here are the last shots before I go out of town for a couple of days tomorrow.

359mids.jpg

izuikn.jpg

2vdl2d0.jpg

1zq50rn.jpg

spot the blenny?

t8mf7c.jpg

2djaxyg.jpg

2mhhc2v.jpg

sb37rp.jpg

I knew things were going to well. My vortech died tonight, and I leave at 5 am in the morning and return on sunday.... grrr

Walking_Target

so... you're setting up a ric rock on the left and mixed zoas on the right?

given any though to introducing an encrusting coral?

Planning on any LPS or SPS?

so... you're setting up a ric rock on the left and mixed zoas on the right?

given any though to introducing an encrusting coral?

Planning on any LPS or SPS?

Yes, Yes

no, but now I have, thanks for the thought

Yes, Yes

LOL.

I'm trying to plan everything out in my brain before implementing it.

Well I'm doomed. Decided to attend the two day marine conference being held 3 hours away. Staying overnight. I return home on sunday Which is the day our local club meets. I'm enacting operation "zoo-lander." I'm going to try to land a few colorful zoos between the two meetings.

I picked up 4 nice zoas today. I have to get the peppermints out asap. There will be a lot more stuff to browse today. You should see all of the beautiful SPS frags! a lot of ORA donations and rare frags.

2116kht.jpg

... even more stuff will be available today... sorry for the crappy iphone pic. I forgot my camera. We did a raffle last night. I won some fishfood and a Koralia 4. The rest of the raffle will be continued today. I bought $50 worth of tickets. :greedy:

There was a really good talk on flow in the aquarium last night. A lot of new ideas for better health of corals in the aquarium. I just thought it was going to be about high flow is good, but the speaker went into great depth on why, where, and how to set up flow based on laboratory studies of coral under different amounts of light and flow. Really, really good stuff

This conference has been amazing. The speeches today on buying and breeding Captive Bred fish was very enlightening. There was a spectacular speech on the needs of clams in the tank that went after a lot of myths. There was also a piece on hitchhikers good & bad and dealing with them. My favorite piece was on laboratory findings of PC, HQI, LED, and T5 lighting PAR values at 10" and 18" depths, their graphical light spread, and the little things that dramatically affect light distribution (like using a background on the tank, one big reflector vs. individual reflectors, and more). Every speech was entertaining and interesting.

This evening we had dinner and then participated in a silent auction and finished up the raffle. In the raffles I won 2 deals of fish food, Chlorine remover, Strontium, Alkalinity Buffer, Salfert Alk/CA test kit, Salfert mg test kit, a Koralia 1, a Koralia 4, and a tabling monti. I also won an encrusting monti as a door prize.

The silent auction had some great stuff. I picked up a candy cane, a maxima clam, and a pair of shark nosed gobies. all in all a great event

I wish I had my camera during feeding today! The Jawfish fed from the baster today like he was nursing! totally awesome. The tailspot blenny is still afraid of me... but will be out and about as long as i'm not at the tank. When I'm at the tank, he just pokes his head out. His house is right above the jawfish's.

The zoo rock is also complete :-)... . I don't know the names of all of them. One is a tub's blue and another a dragon eye.

on another note... I came home to see the clown goby sitting up front... I caught him in the net pretty easily before he knew what was going on... but you know what? He got away as I was twisting the net out of the tank! You've got to be kidding me!

Here are the livestock I picked up from the conference I attended. The two montis are not part of the scape and will be removed as soon as I find them homes.

2e56phw.jpg

New Candy Cane: won in a silent auction

28b4bya.jpg

New Maxima: won in a silent auction

2luexz8.jpg

New Sharknosed gobies: won in a silent auction (on the glass in the left corner of the tank)

1417gh5.jpg

encrusting monti:won in a raffle, needs to find a home

e0235f.jpg

monti cap: won as a door prize... needs to find a home

3539zif.jpg

New zoas:

Armor of the Gods

2v1w9io.jpg

Tub's blue

rc60jd.jpg

Don't remember their names

vd1qow.jpg

I have two others that didn't make the pictures.

my naked clowns arrived today... And I don't think I like them as much as I thought I was going to. They are too plain and not as vivid orange as I thought they'd be... Plus... i doubt they will end up hosting anything... which is why i wanted a sw tank in the first place... hosting clowns. I may be on the search for some hosting percs or occellaris soon. someone may be getting a steal on some naked clowns as well.

Update time

So yeah... the clowns... endearing... but underwhelming... I think I'm going to go for some regular or misbarred occellaris. I noticed a major difference in the jawfish in the blenny after adding the clowns. The jawfish is more comfortable leaving his home during dinner time, and the blenny is WAY more adventuresome. I guess the clowns are a dither that make the skittish fish feel more comfortable.

I added a photosynthetic gorgonian and another coral that I don't remember the name of. I think it began with an "L"...

synqm0.jpg

mystery coral

2weh2c0.jpg

1st Grade ORA Maxima:

He was perched higher in the nook of the rock. He's reoriented himself and has slowly moved down the rock.

14abhgg.jpg

2retahj.jpg

Zoas not pictured before:

2wbt82x.jpg

ad2qa.jpg

Gonoipora

29p2lnb.jpg

Tailspot:

1ysp4w.jpg

The first zoas are indeed whammin' watermelons- gotta love 'em. And I'm a noob, but I think that the mystery coral is a blasto. HTH, everything looks great. The clowns are cute too :)

Thanks CL. I'm very happy with how things have gone with the tank.

Bryopsis defeated

Aiptasia defeated

Jawfish is happy w/ his house and stays up front

Blenny's hang out ledge is front and center

Corals acclimated well

Clown goby out of the tank

Hermit out of the tank

No hair algae outbreak

No pests thus far

I may be jinxing myself, but I did not expect things to go this well. Now I just need some clownfish that will host something. These nakeds are cute and comical though.

I have an ORA electric Crocea on order. I have the rock for it picked out already!

My one issue is my skimmer still isn't making skimmate

I was about to post this on PT, but it went down just as I was posting it.

Monti cap "frags" for CL

z1rpl.jpg

Thanks CL. I'm very happy with how things have gone with the tank.

Bryopsis defeated

Aiptasia defeated

Jawfish is happy w/ his house and stays up front

Blenny's hang out ledge is front and center

Corals acclimated well

Clown goby out of the tank

Hermit out of the tank

No hair algae outbreak

No pests thus far

I may be jinxing myself, but I did not expect things to go this well. Now I just need some clownfish that will host something. These nakeds are cute and comical though.

I have an ORA electric Crocea on order. I have the rock for it picked out already!

My one issue is my skimmer still isn't making skimmate

I was about to post this on PT, but it went down just as I was posting it.

wait, who is this "CL" you speak of? :huh:

lol :P;)

Awesome stuff! I can't wait!

Hmm, you would think that your skimmer would have plenty of stuff to skim. Maybe it needs more air intake? IDK, I'm no pro on skimmers.

it has a breather tube... it's making bubbles, but they don't rise high enough to in the tube to enter the cup. hmmm...

how long has it been running?

You might need more bubbles, or more flow. Is it a venturi type skimmer?

Archived