Cultivated Reef

MedRed's 34 Gallon Solana (R.I.P. 01/07/2010)

MedRed

coachfraley

Great looking setup, and that is some nice LR (apart from the aiptasia).

Keep the pics coming as you stock it up!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great looking setup, and that is some nice LR (apart from the aiptasia).

Keep the pics coming as you stock it up!

Thank you... i had to tear the tank down to nuke the aipts. My scape is different now, and i'm not sure if i like it.

Looking good so far...Now all you need is a Mantis Shrimp. B)

I would love a mantis shrimp! My LFS had one once upon a time. It was a total bad ass! Maybe one day i'll do a species tank for a cranky ol' mantis shrimp

Yeah our Mantis is way cool. We are going this weekend to pick up a turbo and a fish or two to put in with him. We use to have a few different fish with him in the 29 and a Turbo snail. He didn't even pay any attention to them. He would look at the Turbo but never strike at it. We can't wait to see more pics. :D

my second scape is torn up as well now. I have an aiptasia i can't get to. I may just say forget it, and add a peppermint shrimp when the tank cycles. I've been so busy i've not had a chance to check params either.

TriggerHappyDude
my second scape is torn up as well now. I have an aiptasia i can't get to. I may just say forget it, and add a peppermint shrimp when the tank cycles. I've been so busy i've not had a chance to check params either.

Are aiptasia bad to have in the tank? I googled pictures of them, and I appear to have some small ones growing.

They might take over in the long run.. just get some peppermint shrimp. usually does the trick

I have some popping up in my tank and need to get rid of them too.

TriggerHappyDude

Thanks Ando, sorry didn't mean to try to thread jack you here MedRed, awesome start to your tank.

What skimmer did you upgrade to? If its the Sapphire Aquatics one, its deadly silent. Love it.

We want to see more pics of this tank bro!

Thanks Ando, I had two aiptasias. I was able to kill one... but the other darts into his hole way too quick for me to puncture him with the syringe... it's like the little bastard is mocking me. We'll see how he likes his peppermint tank buddy.

Thanks Ando, I had two aiptasias. I was able to kill one... but the other darts into his hole way too quick for me to puncture him with the syringe... it's like the little bastard is mocking me. We'll see how he likes his peppermint tank buddy.

I hope you have luck with the Pepermint, I have three and two nudibranchs that supposedly eat aptasia and I still have a few biggin's mocking me as well.

grrr... That's no bueno. I really don't want to put a scape back together until they're gone unless I know something in the tank will eat them.

• 2 weeks later...

As everyone knows... 13 days worth of posts were lost with the corrupted server data. I can't reconstruct the thread... but i'll repost some of my previous updates.

7/03/09

So after chasing aiptasia around the tank, I couldn't get my scape back to a way that I liked it. I decided to go for coral surface area this go around. Presenting: "The Atoll". It's a little cloudy as made quite a mess moving the rocks and sand around.

34h8121.jpg

I tried to offset it, but the rocks and the size of the tank weren't cooperating too much. I have pods all over the glass. I think i'm about ready for a clean up crew. hopefully the param check agrees.

You can see I have bryopsis on the glass. The FW world has an algae that's just as much of a PITA (cladophora). i'm going to check my paramaters and then begin dosing the kent mg and raise my mg levels to 1600 ppm.

7/10

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15340113#post15340113 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MedRed

Major Update:

I've switched to the 14000K Phoenix bulb... and I have my first coral! kind of... lol I guess they are anemones.

Starting to look like a reef?

2i25ad.jpg

feoqht.jpg

2rnu1au.jpg

2w7jpt3.jpg

2uo5tur.jpg

33vf4ph.jpg

25ks8i1.jpg

2uyn59t.jpg

2wdak2h.jpg

What is this algae?

jhbw9f.jpg

7/12

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15347523#post15347523 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MedRed

Introducing... Ricordea Rock... I plan on adding 1 more ricordea. I'm saving the two lower shelves on the right of the rock for two nice yumas. I also added the first fish today! a green clown goby. I forgot to take a picture of him while he was acclimating. He's hiding out in the branch rock on the left. I can't get the camera to play nice to take a decent picture of him.

3013mlc.jpg

14np6d.jpg

30ken9l.jpg

21e20ee.jpg

2zgde0k.jpg

The King has arrived and brought his court jester with him!

2h84okz.jpg

I introduced him to his throne with a dasani bottle with holes poked in it and the bottom cut out of it.

33af448.jpg

Success!

flx0jm.jpg

I had to use the flash on these next two pictures to get them to show up.

The court jester doesn't think anything is very funny at the moment

2gtqe61.jpg

Here is a picture of the clown goby... He will not be in this court for long

t5hv9c.jpg

awsome spotted jaw makes me wish i had sand...

and your crazy if you think your goin' 2 catch that golby with-out tearing down your rock work... :D

Thanks Dahnic, I know on the clown goby... where there's a will, there's a way big lesson for me on doing my homework first.

Teaser Video of the Blue Spot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmILAnl4YaI

He is constantly watching me! I've caught him several times dumping sand out of his house.. as soon as he notices me... he quits and watches me with intense distrust... lol. This is the best I could get of him close up... when I'm further away... he pokes his entire head out.

Awesome new fish bro!!! :bowdown:

Now I really want a BSJ since my LFS has ten of them in right now for $99.99... Which around here, is a helluva deal!!! :mellow:

Congrats!

Archived