ReefCleaners.org

Great Toronto Area Frag Trading

Yamato

Therea are several, but they tend to be disjointed and do nothing. So far the best one I have been to is the Marine Aquarium society of Durham. I'm a part of MAST (Marine Aquarium Society of Toronto), but they don't seem to do too much. Other clubs include the DRAS (Durham Reef Aquarium Society - made up of disgruntled former MASD members) and WGMS (West GTA Marine Society).

I was thinking of organizing an official Ontario nano-reef club, but I don't think we'd get enough actual people support - the regular reef clubs barely get attendance anyways.

I had a chance to go to the MAST auction this year - not too many exciting things, but it was kind of neat to go to an auction. Really, no neat corals were available, but I think next year, I'll be in attendance with things to auction off for fun :)

I would go to a nano-reef club. I've never attended any of the ones you mentioned, but I think the key is to keep it simple/casual. The GTA is a huge area - you'd think there would be enough interest around here.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would be great if we could organise a nano-reef club for Toronto. But there are steps that would need to be taken first in order for that to happen... In the mean time, we could try and organise an event where reefer can bring their frags to sell or swap. We could keep in simple/casual and if there's more interest/demand, we could make it more elaborate. Just a thought...

I would go to a nano-reef club. I've never attended any of the ones you mentioned, but I think the key is to keep it simple/casual. The GTA is a huge area - you'd think there would be enough interest around here.

Yamato, thanks a lot for the ricordea. It seems to have settled in my aquarium with the other corals. I also fragged a piece of my blastomussa merletti if you're interested :) I don't know if I asked, but do you have any different colour zoas which I may not have? I guess it's my turn to come and visit you now...

AP sucks imo I hope something like this forum pop's up but canadian

I got kicked off AP for explaining to people on how they can have a mandarin goby in 75G while the grand poobah from Hawaii says people need a 200G minimum

but then again I think it was the fact that I told people they can own a tank without a skimmer and still have a vary nice tank even know I've been running them for over 7 years he Say's they are impossible even know I showed him multiple pics of my tanks

Sweet to see you so close Systemtool!! I am just over in Belleville.

For those reefing in the kingston area, Jim's Forty Fathoms in Gananoque is awsome!! He services people from Hamilton to Montreal. Here is his website.

http://fortyfathoms.10.forumer.com/index.p...dfbfc74033d1ce7

Most of the livestock I have in my tank I purchased off of him. His prices are some of the lowest I have seen around and they all include tax.

I would also like to say if you are looking for some nice healthy SPS frags go see Nematoad!! I purchased some off of him just over 10 days ago. They are all doing nicely in my system. I will be purchasing from him again some time. I will definately be looking for a variety next time around. I left feedback for him on his feedback thread.

so nothing around orillia barrie>>?/

Actually, the only shop in that area I can think of is Aquarium Obsessed, but I don't know if they have a retail store. They do a lot of higher-end custom builds; many people across North America have AO tanks. They're also the NA distributor for Sfiligoi in case you're wanting to drop $1500+ on your lighting :D

In terms of a Nano-reefing get together, maybe we can make something happen. Maybe a summer month, or later in the spring. I'll approach the MASD exec (Jeff and Vlad, whom I know personally) if they'd be interested in hosting a 'pre-first official meeting" of the GTA NR club/society/association/aquarists/commune.

Thanks for the kudos Nebthet! It was nice meeting you, and hopefully all my frags will grow out nice and big for you :)

As per a request, here's some pics of frags healing right now (there were fragged over 1.5 weeks ago):

PA023939.jpg

PA023938.jpg

Not everything everyone is getting is pictured there, but gives you an idea of the mix of colours you're looking at having in your tanks soon :)

All the frags I got off of you are doing really well Nematoad. The monticap is actually starting to turn a green coloration just before the rim and is flourescing now.

I have been going through your tank thread trying to determine what all is in your tank that I may wish to get a frag of in the future... LOL. There is a good list.

All the frags I got off of you are doing really well Nematoad. The monticap is actually starting to turn a green coloration just before the rim and is flourescing now.

Great! Good to hear it's colouring up for you. It should look like this in the future:

capmother.jpg

I have been going through your tank thread trying to determine what all is in your tank that I may wish to get a frag of in the future... LOL. There is a good list.

Let me know what they are and I'll keep you in mind when they get fragged :)

So far on the list I have a frag of each of your different xenias. Maybe 2.. and a variety of your zoas like the orange fijis, the green ringing green, red rimmed blues.

So far on the list I have a frag of each of your different xenias. Maybe 2.. and a variety of your zoas like the orange fijis, the green ringing green, red rimmed blues.

Request away! PM me when your list is all made up :)

Systemtool, and possibly nebthet. I really want to hit up Jim's place in ganonoque, but i don't have a car. Would either of you guys be interested in driving up as a group? I know it's a weird thing to just put out there, but i figure why not. We could split the gas and what not and make a day of it. Any takers?

Unfortunately I don't live in Toronto myself, but in Belleville, (which is halfway to Gan, from T.O... also.. I usually pay my stepmother or a friend to drive me.. but if someone wants to go up after Oct.20th, and wants to pick me up and drop me off to make a day of it, I am willing to chip in for gas. I also know the directions on how to get there so you won't get lost.

Unfortunately I don't live in Toronto myself, but in Belleville, (which is halfway to Gan, from T.O... also.. I usually pay my stepmother or a friend to drive me.. but if someone wants to go up after Oct.20th, and wants to pick me up and drop me off to make a day of it, I am willing to chip in for gas. I also know the directions on how to get there so you won't get lost.

My home is in toronto but i go to queen's and so does systemtool so thats why i suggested it. If memory serves me right belleville isn't more than 45 mins away from kingston, but the real quesiton is if belleville is closer to ganonque than kingston...

Systemtool is correct. Belleville is 35 min west of Kingston depending on how fast you drive.

I do know that Jim will deliver, and if there is something specific you want he will get it in. You can also work with him that if he is driving through the area you can meet up somewhere and he will bring you stuff. I have done that myself.

Guest Duckhams

Hi Guys,

Im in ETOBICOKE, and im looking for a nice big Red Organ Pipe Coral for a 90gallon. I am also interested in an Elegance Coral, bigger the better, a crocea clam and a Red Flame Scallop.

Please let me know your stock and location.

THANKS!

-Duckhams-

Hi Guys,

Im in ETOBICOKE, and im looking for a nice big Red Organ Pipe Coral for a 90gallon. I am also interested in an Elegance Coral, bigger the better, a crocea clam and a Red Flame Scallop.

Please let me know your stock and location.

THANKS!

-Duckhams-

Yeah i'll get right on that...?

Guest Duckhams

Maybe I should rephrase that.

I would be interested in buying, if anyone wants to sell.

Red Organ Pipe Coral

Elegance Coral

Crocea Clam

Flame Scallop.

Does that make more sense to you illuminano?

well for one thing this is a frag trading thread, but i think i can point you in the right direction for some of those things.

Crocea Clam - Menagerie Pet Shop on parliament and carlton (downtown) had clams last time i was there. Big Al's occasionally gets them in as well.

Red Organ Pipe - Never seen this coral sold in canada, can't help you with that one. Ask Menagerie if they can order it in for you, they'll give you a hard time but they'll do it

Elegance Coral - http://fragtory.blogspot.com/

Flame Scallop - again, not sure where you would get this as any reputable or reasonably sane LFS wouldn't stock it. They're filter feeders, and on top of that, from what i've heard, they're often suicidal.

Good luck

Guest Duckhams

Cheers illuminano. Il check those out, Ive already spoken to Andrew at Fragtory about a few items. Im trying to get them for a friend of mine as a gift this week, so im frantically posting threads and ads everywhere looking for some quality stuff.

Thanks again. I have a 20gallon nano that will need a few frags soon so i will check back here soon.

Ive seen them at the Big Als in Mississauga, a while ago though.

Besides the point, Any experienced reefer will tell you not to get a flame scallop

Archived