Top Shelf Aquatics

Eco-Lamps LED Reef Light (KR91) Review

acrofish

The softies that I have are mainly xenia, leather - the easy types - and they are literally growing like weeds. This light is more than adequate.

On the other hand, do not go for this light if you have SPS in mind. It will not be enough. The monti digitati that I have is already a relatively forgiving SPS, and even then it is only barely surviving, definitely not thriving.

I am in Canada. In the summer the evaporation can be fast. I have a nano cube, and if I use the 3rd chamber as the measure, it may go maybe halfway down in a week. In the winter, it is not so much. I have it all hooked up to a RO reserviour via ATO so it is now all transparent to me.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks for the update B)

Have your softies grown ok under these lights?

I have read that this light wouldn't be enough for SPS and would ned the KR92 for them but these are quite a bit more expensive.

Think I will get the KR91 and either add an Aquaray 600 or a 36w PC to supplement the lighting.

I have been looking around for similar units but here in the UK there are still not many available and the KR91 does look like its designed for purpose unlike some of the cannopy/tiles on the market.

How do you find evaporation since removing the original hood and have you since covered the filter compartments?

Many thanks

Nige.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy S@$! !!!! I just went on their website and I think I started to trip, unless.....that really did say $ 3,139.34.... I can DIY a small sun for half of that!

• 1 month later...

Today I just installed the new eco-lamps, which are now Acan LED Lighting in the U.S. I got the A104AC-12" for my 24g. The PAR rating they've announced is more than enough for SPS in my nanocube. Also, read a blog from both the Boston Reef Club & Manhattan Reef Club who tested the new series (one club used a light measurement), and they got very good readings and getting good results with their SPS coral over hte past several months.

I have very little coral in my tank at this point -- had a tank crash two months ago and it wiped out them out. I have two struggling acropora frags I saved and a reviving orange ricordia. So I don't think pics would do any good. But the programmable unit was $495. It looks great right now (I switched from MH).

That sounds great. I believe the latest models are upgraded from the version I got two years ago. From what I gather the newer ones seem better and more capable for SPS.

Today I just installed the new eco-lamps, which are now Acan LED Lighting in the U.S. I got the A104AC-12" for my 24g. The PAR rating they've announced is more than enough for SPS in my nanocube. Also, read a blog from both the Boston Reef Club & Manhattan Reef Club who tested the new series (one club used a light measurement), and they got very good readings and getting good results with their SPS coral over hte past several months.

I have very little coral in my tank at this point -- had a tank crash two months ago and it wiped out them out. I have two struggling acropora frags I saved and a reviving orange ricordia. So I don't think pics would do any good. But the programmable unit was $495. It looks great right now (I switched from MH).

That sounds great. I believe the latest models are upgraded from the version I got two years ago. From what I gather the newer ones seem better and more capable for SPS.

Yes -- that's what I found out. I bought from Unique Corals in Manhattan (I live in Colorado). I spoke to them on the phone and they were very helpful. Acan support was also helpful and informative.

• 3 weeks later...

Just something I heard through a local LFS, and maybe some of you led masters can shed some light on....but i was told that the LED fixtures with programers are faced with patent infringement with NASA who holds the patent. Any info as I really wanted one of these but am afraid this company may not survive?

I think that most companies in the saltwater reef business are small enough to suffer big time if they hit an extended period of declining business, and there is always the question of whether a company has the 'wherewithall' to recover from it. So I don't think any single company is at any greater risk than anyone else. As for the NASA patent--if that's true-- I have a difficult time believing that NASA would reach not some sort of agreement with the manufacturer. I deal with patents all the time in my job -- mostly the freedom to operate -- and in very competitive markets where devices can become more commodity, companies usually reach licensing agreements.

My first take on the NASA thing is that an LED or lighting system that offers a simple timing program (like the new Acan LEDs) seem great to us, but the technology is rather simple and I would think it has been around for a long time. So my personal first take is that the LFS owner heard something but perhaps it has more to do with those offering a very sophisticated system tied to the lunar cycle. Now that seems very cool and a lot more innovative and very patentable. But in the end, I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

I looked through some of the initial readings and it is a shame that PFO went under because of it. But just because Orbitec has a patent, it does not mean that their patent will stand if challenged (I've recently seen an issued patent that was overturned ten years after it issued in the medical device field). It appears that there were several important questions surrounding that basis for the patent claims; it's too bad PFO went bankrupt and the case dismissed. All this happened though in early 2009 and since then we seen several new LED systems with programmed lighting hit the market (in the last 4 months or so). So it makes you wonder if companies reached a licensing agreement or are waiting for a challenge. It is also interesting to note that Sanjay Joshi is a consultant for Acan Lighting now. I'm interested to read more when I get a chance.

I looked through some of the initial readings and it is a shame that PFO went under because of it. But just because Orbitec has a patent, it does not mean that their patent will stand if challenged (I've recently seen an issued patent that was overturned ten years after it issued in the medical device field). It appears that there were several important questions surrounding that basis for the patent claims; it's too bad PFO went bankrupt and the case dismissed. All this happened though in early 2009 and since then we seen several new LED systems with programmed lighting hit the market (in the last 4 months or so). So it makes you wonder if companies reached a licensing agreement or are waiting for a challenge. It is also interesting to note that Sanjay Joshi is a consultant for Acan Lighting now. I'm interested to read more when I get a chance.

Aqua Illumination licensed the rights for their products.

• 4 years later...

It's been a while. After 6 years of continuous usage the Ecolamps light was finally retired. I moved on to the AI Prime. Wow, how things have changed!

Archived