The_Yellow_Pony

The_Yellow_Pony

update on water parameters"

pH= 8.1

Nitrite=0

Nitrate=0

Ammonia=.25

Salinity=1.025

Looking good i think...although...how much do you think using 100% cured rock would cut down on my cycle?

I am curious.....

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good Yellow! I just started up a 28g yesterday - can't wait (well yes I can and I will) to get the thing stocked. Your LR looks very nice - will be great to get some corals on there.

The_Yellow_Pony

Thanks! The real purple pieces came out of my old...still running tank. I picked up the other at a LFS.

Funny story though....people have such a hard time scaping their tanks.....well.....

I had picked up dinner on the way home(hot sandwiches) and just want to get my rock back in water before I ate so I stacked it roughly and sat down to eat dinner. As I was eating dinner, I was looking at the clearing tank and thought I might like my scape as it was..... Once it cleared fully, I decided...............I LOVED IT!

It fell together just as I wanted it too.

I can't wait to get some corals going on! My xenia came as a hitcher... along with a healthy and happy quantity of aiptaisia.... I have been waging war with lemon juice and i think i am winning.

The_Yellow_Pony

Do you think this is the beginning of my diatom bloom?

100_3264.jpg?t=1243971655

Will update water parameters in a bit.

UPDATE:

pH=8.2 (added buffer last night)

NO2= 0ppm

NO3= .25ppm

NH3/NH4= .50ppm

Also...those mystery polyps seem to be more comfortable:

100_3270.jpg?t=1243979943

Note: A 4th popped up out of nowhere:

mystery.jpg?t=1243980157

The hitching xenia seems happy:

100_3275.jpg?t=1243980275

The_Yellow_Pony

Alright,

It seems to me my cycle is happening very fast. Diatoms usually occur towards the end of a cycle if I am not mistaken. Right?

Current Params:

pH=8.2

N02=0

N03=0

NH3=~.15ish (between 0 and .25)

I had a small spike in Nitrate/Nitrite for maybe a day.... and my ammonia has not spiked higher than .50.

Now I know the term soft cycle is abused...but it seems like my tank is not going through a full cycle....

I have my official Diatoms, it showed up on my sandbed this afternoon.

I think I may add the first members of my CUC as ammonia is low.

The hitcher xenia is doing great. The stubborn, I won't let go nem is doing great. The hitcher mystery polyps are doing great.

2 confirmed stomatellas

3 confirmed bristleworms

aiptasia :angry:

If you look close in this pic, you can see that telltale brown haze:

100_3301.jpg?t=1244064650

The_Yellow_Pony

So, I went to pick-up my snails and have an uninvited new addition:

Please, before anyone says too soon, etc, etc....please see this thread regarding how this came to be: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry2281154

100_3305.jpg?t=1244075114

I will be watching my params like a hawk.

The original reason for the trip to the LFS was for a few cerith and nerite snails..... which I got voluntarily.

SpankythePyro

nice grabs on the snails. how man did you get?

also nice frogspawn... I wanted to grab a 2 headed piece the other day but deicded against it as i'll be moving tanks :(

The_Yellow_Pony

I got 5 Nerite and 5 Cerith. The are going to town on the fresh diatom!

Here's a pic of the frogspawn in light:

DSC07032.jpg?t=1244077133

I love it even though now I have to watch watch watch...oh wait.... I already am :happydance:

What's the first thing I do when I get home:

face smooshed against the glass....I guess that's why I always have smudges ;)

The_Yellow_Pony

Thanks dude!

I am soooooo much happier with this tank already than I ever was with the 29 "psuedo reef" listed in my sig.

I am like a little kid snooping for xmas presents everytime I look at this tank..

I have taken more pics in the last 5 days than I did all last year I think.

I am SHOCKED at how happy that frogspawn is looking. In the pics, it had only been in the tanks for a whopping hour or so.

I just added 5 ceriths and 5 nerites for the diatoms.

On average, how long should my diatom bloom last? Also, a lot of what I read says the diatom bloom usually signals and almost complete cycle. Is this true? If so, the rock I used decreased cycle time ten fold.

The flower nem that has been in since day one(because he wouldn't let go of the rock) is thriving! He loves it.

I am sooooo happy with it so far.

Thanks everyone for your input!

diatoms usually mean there is a week or two left. the diatoms havent gotten to their full potential yet, soon there will be tons in a week or so. then, when it starts to slowley go away, thats your time to add a few hardy corals or fish. then once all gone, anything you would like besides clams, SPS, mandarins, etc. Cured LR usually lowers cycling by a week or two.

so just 1-2 weeks then its coral time, WOOT WOOT!!!

i cant wait to see how this one turns out :D

My biocube is 11 days old.I have just started to see the brown bloom starting in the last day or so. I have live sand and cured live rock. Only hitchhikers I have seen so far are a little pink and red colored worm. I tryed to get him out but the little ****** got under a rock. I also seen a little black bug in my live rock hole that I poked with a cleaning rod and he came out looked like a black roach LOL. Other than that nothing cool. I think I will go check it out right now under the cover of darkness. Your tank is looking great.

Brad

The_Yellow_Pony

I think most of my stock with be..."wiggly stuff" as my gf puts it. She gets as much a say if not more than I do....the tank made it into the living room so she gets a good bit of input ;)

I think I am going to shoot for a zoa/ric garden with maybe some assorted leathers/shrooms.

As for fish stock...I am not currently 100% decided.

I have a pair of clowns currently in the old tank. They are a definite. I also have a pair of domino damsels(will be moving to a new home soon) so they are of no worry.

The only other critters from the old tank are 2 feather dusters and another flower nem.

How well would a nice plate do on the sandbed under stock lighting? I have grown very fond of them.

As for misc. inverts, A fire shrimp is a 100% must for the gf. I would like some sexies but:

A.I don't think I would ever see them

B.I think the fire would harass them too much

So maybe a pair of peps for aiptasia control...and I just kind of like them.

I am REALLY considering a BSJ....but am trying to decide if I would like to eat the cost...^_^ I usually am cheap with fish.

I like the carpenters wrasse over the sixline but I'm not too sure that the clown pair would be happy with it.

I am thinking 4-5 fish...

2 ocellaris clowns

1 blue spotted jawfish or yellowhead(if I am being stingy)

1 carpenter's wrasse or sixline

1 other

The gf is dead set on a dragonet but I will only consider if I can buy one pre-trained.

CUC will be mostly assorted snails, maybe some blue legs.

This is what the list is looking like for now....

that all sounds great!!! the plate will do fine. i say transfer all live stock from the old tank and put it into the biocube. then you can sell the old tank of set-up a biotope tank like a mantis tank.

sexies are not good for nanos, only for picos. then will get lost and harassed by everything.

The_Yellow_Pony

Honestly, the old tank is worth all of about 50-100 bucks.

-29 gallon aga

-current 72 watt light fixture, needs new bulbs, splash guard is disgusting and i would probably just replace it.

-a nano skimmer that never worker right from the start

-standard heater

-aquaclear 70 HOB for chemipure, etc

-aquaclear 70 PH...half worn out

The live rock is decent...kinda filthy but the 2 pieces on my first page came out of that tank so lots of nice corraline...probably about 25 lbs or so left in it....that alone is worth almost more than the equipment ^_^

Clowns will be transferred, damsels are going to live in a 220 FOWLR.

I will nix the sexies...for now....pico world here I come... *eyes DFS pico for cheap* **desires to build LED pendant**....AHHHH!!!! Yup, that's right, it's got me. I have caught the sickness. :naughtydance:

I am thinking of maybe the nanotuners 4.36 upgrade.....opens up a lot more options....and there money in my paypal account right now...brb....

Just kidding, for now.

What are your thoughts for the "other" fish on my list?

I like Royal Grammas...but they are kind of common...

I like hawkfish... the symetrical are nice. Maybe too many up high critters though?

I like firefish but they are such wimps.

Thoughts?

my old royal gramma was a PITA, so i dont like them that much.

Hawkfish are everywhere in tanks, they perch all over the tank. very cool.

My firefish is very active. it took a while to get used to the tank, so i reccomend adding it right after the clowns if you want one.

i say clown gobies are cool also...

Get....

3 fairy wrasse

1 basslet

1 jawfish

Done, and unique for a BC29 fish stock list, PM for more details!

The_Yellow_Pony

I was thinking about a symetrical hawkfish. I also like the Purple firefish.

Update on the frogspawn:

It seems to be content.

It is nicely extended and has good color. I will be checking what params when I get home from work. The snails are chugging away at the diatom.

PODS EVERYWHERE.

I am seeing them openly, under daylight. Copepods, amphipods. etc.

It was neat last night too...I was watching the rock, real close.... There were three bristleworms poked out, scrubbing the rock around them. It was a little quasi-synchronized bristle worm party.

Alright...I have just entered a whole new realm of wow, just wow.

Kraylen, PM sent

Saw your post over on Dooderinos thread and thought I would stop by. Very nice job on this tank so far. Gonna tag along here too see how much "say" the GF really has on the stock list! 1089.gif

The_Yellow_Pony

Thanks Spanko!

Yeah, she has say...not entirely...but some... her main requirements are the 2 clowns and a fire shrimp.... and a dragonette if I can find a trained one....

I am willing to accept her requests as it is in the living room....between my snake racks and my planted dart frog terrarium...I think I am pushing my limits :P;)

As you can see... I love pic updates so, Enjoy!

The_Yellow_Pony

Updates...wooo.....

All 10 snails are chugging along just fine. Frogspawn looks pretty happy considering the circumstances. Xenia is plumped out as usual.

Looking pretty content:

DSC07047.jpg?t=1244148442

Some sort of macro???

DSC07048.jpg?t=1244148471

FTS!

DSC07053.jpg?t=1244148519

Parameter update in an hour or so.

The_Yellow_Pony

Alright.... Tanks params....and more discoveries!!!!

We'll get the boring stuff out of the way first:

pH=8.2

N02=0

N03= <.15

NH3= <.25

Now, discoveries!

Some sort of star:

DSC07067.jpg?t=1244150507

ID.jpg?t=1244150635

A. some kind of star?

B. another macro algae of sorts?

C. It's hard to make out but they look little button polyps maybe....you probably can't tell from the pic

and..... those mystery polyps

5/31/09

whatis2.jpg?t=1243825900

6/4/09

100_3324.jpg?t=1244150855

I also saw an amphipod molt(I think they molt) float by that was about as long as a dime is wide!

The_Yellow_Pony

alright, A. was ID'd as an asterina star. After this ID, I removed it and got a 100% ID. Yup, asterina. It was a blue. I took it out as I don't want to have to deal with it later.

B= Green Hair Algae (GHA)

C=Hydroid, bad. spread fast and sting stuff. just rip it off, not like aiptasia.

you were right about A, but they are good.

Add a CUC this weekend so the GHA doesnt spread. i heard turbo snails and emerald crabs like them.

Archived