inTank Media Baskets

home RO water purifier

thisanthrope

Im looking at the Kent Marine Reverse Osmosis BB10 to buy for home use. says it filters up to 98% impurities in tap water. filters up to 10 gallons a day which would work out great for my 10 gallon nano. anybody had any experience with either this filter or other small filters claiming to do what they say?

also it doesnt deionize the water, would RO alone be enough?

would I be better off to keep buying RO/DI water?

Ro water is the Best water. DI is good but will lower pH. Ro water is Perfect. Sounds like a good one. Kent makes quality products. Stick with whatever you can afford. Good Luck.

Visit ... www.(myname).com

DI lowers ph, so would Ro/DI water hold its ph better, or am i better off using a buffer before adding the water to my tank? Currently I am using kents superbuffer in my topoff. Iv'e had wonderful results with it.

cool, thanks

birdman, are your realy having enough problems with ph that would warrant using a buffer? I use LFS bought RO/DI water now and have never used a buffer. ph stays at 8.3

Im not criticizing, just curios cause I was very concerned how I was able to keep a steady ph and posted the question here.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=19659

could you tell me how you think your ph fluctuates. different perspective than the answers I was given.

What ever makes your tank work good. Personaly I would recomend using RO water only. DI can drop your pH. Kent superbuffer works Great! I would recomend just doing what you're doing. Adding it to your auto top-off works good. Just remember that if you dose with any mineral like superbuffer your Motor in your pump (which returns your water) can break easily. That website (was my name) .com . Good luck!

• 11 years later...

Ro water is the Best water. DI is good but will lower pH. Ro water is Perfect. Sounds like a good one. Kent makes quality products. Stick with whatever you can afford. Good Luck.

Visit ... www.(myname).com

Yes I agree with you that RO water is the best water purifier.But I would like to tell you that Livpure Water Purifier is the India’s First "Intelligent" RO Water Purifier available in the market.It offers wide range of RO UV purifiers like Livpure Touch 2000 Plus,Livpure ECO Touch, Livpure Touch 2000,Livpure Envy Pro Plus,Livpure PEP Pro Plus,Livpure Envy Plus,etc.Go with the product you are most comfortable with.

The pH of RO/DI water cannot be accurately measured and is considered to be neutral. There are too few ions to measure so any test results are bogus.

RO by itself is a 90-98% efficient device so will never remove everything which is the goal of a reefkeeper so when you add your salt mix you get exactly the levels they intended.

I would not buy Kent simply because they are overrated, middle of the road systems which are greatly overpriced. Stick with a vendor who does RO treatment as their primary business and not as a sideline. Someone like www.Spectrapure.com where you can get a 90 GPD reef quality RO/DI system for $125 and which can be easily used for RO only drinking water as well as RO/DI for the reef tank so serves double duty. Others I would suggest looking at are www.buckeyehydro.com and www.purelyh2o.com . All these vendors build systems specifically for reef use so you get only the best sediment and carbon block filters, RO membranes and full size refillable DI filters. All have reef systems starting around $125.

There are several advantages to these systems, one is they are all 75-90 GPD so will make the 10 gallons you need in a matter of a few hours versus a full 24+ hours of standing around with the Kent system you referred to. They are all RO/DI not just RO and all are backed by vendors who have been doing RO/DI for 15 years or longer, 30 years in Spectrapure's case.

You do not need UV nor do you need buffers. RO/DI water quickly takes on the characteristics of whatever it is added to or is added to it so a small top off does not affect the pH of the display and in the case of a wate rchange, the salt mix determines the pH. All modern salts are designed to be used with RO/DI so are buffered accordingly.

Question, I am about to purchase a unit. Do I want to buy a RO unit only? Or a RO/DI unit?

I am new and learning

RODI unit is better because it takes out the last bit of stuff in your water.

The content of this thread is old, 2003. I recommend getting a Spectrapure or a Marine Depot RODI

RODI unit is better because it takes out the last bit of stuff in your water.

The content of this thread is old, 2003. I recommend getting a Spectrapure or a Marine Depot RODI

Thank you sir

As I mentioned above, RO is only 90-98% effective at removing contaminants, it takes the additional DI step to get to 0 TDS which is your goal. Spectrapure is by far the number one name in the industry due to the fact they specially treat ALL their RO membranes proven to increase their efficiency, custom blend all their own DI resins, use only absolute or near absolute rated sediment and carbon block filters and use the much better capillary tube flow restrictors. There really is a difference. You will not find these cost saving things anywhere else period.

I am putting together a "20 long" setup on a budget and just got a RO unit called the RO Buddie by Aquatic Life. I got the optional DI cartridge to make it a 4 stage RO/DI and it was ~$100 total on Amazon (for the 50 gallon per day unit). I have only done about 40 gallons of water so far, but no other setup I looked at could touch it on price. We'll have to see what the cartridge life looks like but I went from 220 ppm TDS at the tap to 0 ppm at the output.

Edit: Made a typo, the tap TDS value should be 120 ppm.

The RO Buddie is a very low end system with non standard size filters which cost more to replace, do not last as long nor filter as well, are harder to find and do not come in the reefers preferred micron ranges. The cost of ownership ends up being much much higher over its life than a real reef quality RO DI system. I hate seeing reef hobbyists sucked into buying systems like this, it gives RO/DI systems a black eye when users are unhappy with their purchase which is very often the case once they see the performance of a real full size system.

Do your research and decide yourself.

To determine a RO/DI syetms efficiency you need 3 TDS readings, tap water, RO only and final RO/DI. The small systems usually fall down on the RO obly which means DI must make up for their inefficiency which mans much higher replacement and operating costs and a higher cost per gallon of treated water. One big issue is many users do not invest in a good handheld TDS meter so they think the RO is doing well when in fact it may not be. Never buy a RO/DI without having a ATC compensated handheld TDS meter, not an inline which is not truly temperature compensated so has built in inaccuracies.

As I mentioned above, RO is only 90-98% effective at removing contaminants, it takes the additional DI step to get to 0 TDS which is your goal. Spectrapure is by far the number one name in the industry due to the fact they specially treat ALL their RO membranes proven to increase their efficiency, custom blend all their own DI resins, use only absolute or near absolute rated sediment and carbon block filters and use the much better capillary tube flow restrictors. There really is a difference. You will not find these cost saving things anywhere else period.

Hey AZ. I'm sort of curious... I don't have a spectrapure system but I'm really curious why they are so much better than the rest. If the special membrane treatments and DI resin mixes are so effective why don't other companies follow suit? I'm just thinking of it from a business perspective - why only one company is embracing the technology (assuming that Spectrapure is the only company effectively treating their membranes and has the best DI resin mix).

Edit: Sort of answered my own question

http://spectrapure.com/frequently-asked-questions-p2

Dollars. It costs money to do what they do and others don't want to invest in labs, test facilities and research. They have been doing RO and RO/DI for 30 years in the same US city and thats pretty much all they do. Go to their website and scroll down to the bottom of the page to their FAQ section and many of the questions on how they are different and why that makes a difference to the end user are answered.

I will say Buckeye Hydro now offers tested RO membranes and they are the only other vendor I am aware of. It costs money to treat a membrane and to test it and in Spectrapure's case to actually guarantee a membranes performance in writing and others just don't want this resposibility or liability. They spend hundreds and thousands of hours researching, developing and testing resins, membranes and filters before they offer them for sale, nothing is off the shelf. Their membranes are shipped wet in a special solution unlike everyone else that ships dry untested and untreated membranes and their resins are all blended in their facility in Tempe AZ based on thousands of hours of bench and real world beta testing. They have beta testers all over the world in every possible condition and they get feedback from them and tweak things until it is perfect before any of us see it on the market. They are truly innovators, not imitators and they earned my business about 15 years ago after already owning 3 or 4 RO and RO/DI systems previously and not being happy with them. I've done water treatment as my profession for the last 40 years and they impress me still. What they do costs money and I may pay a little more up front but I have never had a DI cartridge last for years in our high TDS Phoenix water like theirs does and I have bought resin from the best of the vendors including wholesale in the past. Again, there really is a difference.

The RO Buddie is a very low end system with non standard size filters which cost more to replace, do not last as long nor filter as well, are harder to find and do not come in the reefers preferred micron ranges. The cost of ownership ends up being much much higher over its life than a real reef quality RO DI system. I hate seeing reef hobbyists sucked into buying systems like this, it gives RO/DI systems a black eye when users are unhappy with their purchase which is very often the case once they see the performance of a real full size system.

Do your research and decide yourself.

The TCO remains to be seen, but the low upfront costs, and basic function (e.g. it makes 0 TDS water in sufficient quantity for my needs) are my primary concerns. I also really like the compact form factor. I'm sure others will have different views, but I like the unit I bought.

Archived