Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tigahboy's 35g Project

Tigahboy

mp40. It's dialed down quite a bit right now. The vortech and my returns create a gyre around my rockwork, so there really isn't any "low flow" areas available to the acans.

mp40. It's dialed down quite a bit right now. The vortech and my returns create a gyre around my rockwork, so there really isn't any "low flow" areas available to the acans.

not that i'm encouraging lowering flow across the tank, but have you considered maybe positioning the vortech on the back wall? you'd still get water movement, but it wouldn't be the same kind of direct flow that has upset the acans.*

thought #2: construct a "cove" between the acans and the vortech to disperse some of that direct flow.*

* - disclaimer: i do not know what i'm talking about. you should not listen to my advice, or even consider following any suggestion i have provided.

I'm having some issues with my Acans as well Tigah. One is nice and happy but the other is more than a little miffed at the moment. I agree with you...think it might be a touch too much flow. I've moved it to a new spot so I'll see how it likes it there.

Hope yours pull through for ya.

not that i'm encouraging lowering flow across the tank, but have you considered maybe positioning the vortech on the back wall? you'd still get water movement, but it wouldn't be the same kind of direct flow that has upset the acans.*

Tim- I had my MP40W on my back wall for quite a while. Always had problems dialing it up since the flow against my front glass would disrupt the sand too much in the front. Side positioning allows for more flow.

Tigah- I had a similar issue with my Acans getting too much flow. Here are some ideas:

1) Use a small, low lying piece of LR, half emedded in the sand to the left of the Acan garden to act as a flow buffer. Kind of like a rock in a stream that creates a pocket of slow flow behind it.

2) Put your Vortech on the opposite end of your tank, toward the front. This is where I have mine and have no issues, but then again - with my DSB I do not crank it up past, say - half.

3) Position your Vortech on the right end of your tank toward the front, effectively reversing the flow. I've noticed that the slowest flow area with my vortech is directly beneath. Problem is that if you really crank it up you can create a whirling vortex on the sand. Positioning the solid part of the wet-side downward can reduce this vortex effect.

Hope you can fix the problem...

Edited by rroselavy

All god advice, guys. I'm going to try to move my vortech and see what I can do. There are some limitations though with that as well... like frogspawn would be in direct path if moved to the left and nems won't be too happy if moved forward on the right. last thing I want is for the nems to move.

OH! How about throwing in a few large clams as buffers?! Haha.

Tim- I had my MP40W on my back wall for quite a while. Always had problems dialing it up since the flow against my front glass would disrupt the sand too much in the front. Side positioning allows for more flow.

what about adding a 2nd (/3rd!) vortech to the tank, putting both on the back wall, and then dialing them down so that you don't get as much sand turbulence?

How do you know when an acan is getting too much flow? Any pics of mad acans would help. Mine get decent flow, but seem happy, I would just like a comparison.

Not at the moment. The polyps are just recessed instead of puffy as they should be.

Well. My super nice green frag of acan lord did not make it. My red one and another are not happy at all either.

I tried moving my vortech to different locations and each had its problems for different reasons.

At this point, I am considering selling off the happy acans just to be safe. I don't want to see any others deteriorate at my hands.

I'm also questioning whether it is the flow since three different ones started to decline at around the same time (tho admittedly I made it worse by constantly moving all three to different locations in an effort to try to find a safer spot). Everything else is happy tho.

The vortech is actually off right now. I can't figure out a long term solution that would work with my tank. Having chunks of rocks as barriers would certainly help, but I do not intend to keep my tank that way. So I may have to sell off my acan collection.

The vortech is actually off right now. I can't figure out a long term solution that would work with my tank. Having chunks of rocks as barriers would certainly help, but I do not intend to keep my tank that way. So I may have to sell off my acan collection.

I might be interested. heh.

Holy crap! I just tested my water params, and calc, alk, mag all dropped well below acceptable levels. That kind of explains a lot. I need to start dosing now.

Gone are the days of just regular water changes. I thought I could get away with not dosing until I really started stocking SPS, but I should've known better. Anyway, I'm busting out my 3-part from BRS now (it's been untouched in a box all this time) and will work on getting everything back in check. Will update y'all later.

Hopefully things will quickly turn around once you get Ca/Alk/Mg back in line. Always is a tough pill to swallow once you find out that it's time to start daily dosing :) Hopefully you can keep your Acan collection after all.

hi tigahboy,

sorry to read youre having slight probs im sure you will find

a solution?

answering your question on corals over here nor brill really have

to hunt around,

when i read you lot all exchanging and swopping selling wish there

was someone near here too.

im only just starting with softies mushies have got toadstool which is doing

well but im holding back as fingerscrossed xmas getting bigger tank and much

better lighting

so will have to hunt some more,

and in the mean time adore your tank so keep pic`s coming love it :happydance:

hope you fix prob soon

Thanks guys. I've got my calc and alk back on track. Need to work on mag now. It's at 1100 at the moment.

The 2 stressed acans did not make it. So my acan garden is now a bit small. The remaining ones look fine tho thankfully.

Tigah - I found the best place for my lords are right under the Vortech itself. With the amazing undertow it kept the polyps moving but not so much that they could not handle it.

Maybe that can help.

-Dave