Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cuboy's 12AP w/ RapidLED Par38

cuboy

Hello Here is my AP12 tank .

(strike through = no longer --- red = new)

AP12 w/ 150w mh k2 viper and current nova 2x18w t5ho actinics RapidLED Par38 60*

zoomed repitle light stand + cheap clamp on light from home depot

mj900 upgrade

k-nano

50w stealth heater

My tank is 3 days old. sand came from an established 20L. rocks came from established 20L and 4.5 pico. 7 galons of established water (from pico and 20L) and 4 gallons new salt water. 1 gallon of ro/di water to get my salinity on point.

old tank shot with 150w mh k2 viper

IMG_4147.jpg

re-done - 06/23/2011

FTS01.jpg

fts: 01/23/2012

IMG_0552.jpg

fts: 02/17/2012

IMG_0631.JPG

fts: 02/20/2012

166969_10150693726812526_662352525_11380400_1589839726_n.jpg

fts: 02/27/2012

IMG_0676.JPG

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
juicestain

looks great. i have a 12 ap too. im having trouble with my mj900/hydor. it keeps blowing away sand in the front right corner. i guess i just have a weird aquascape though

d'Espresso

looks awesome cuboy.. i upgraded to a AP12 also but not thread or post up yet. stilll in the works.. but my pico is down and sold it. so this is my new toy to mess around with. can you take some more shots of your setup and the chamber. im having problem with brown algae on the sandbed after doing wc then 3-5 days later the algae is back again. Do you guys uses purgien? thanks and keep up the good work.

chamber 1 = filter pad

chamber 2 = rubble on the bottom with chaeto on top

chamber 3 = chemi pure

chamber 4 = return pump and my heater.

as for your algae issue, it's diatoms or cyano. Keep your lights off for 48 hours, and toss a towel over the tank to make sure no light gets in. Add some more flow to it, and the issue should go away. That's what I am told from other members here.

d'Espresso

Thanks cuboy, i will try that solution and see if it work? I also have a mini dersa clam in my ap will it matters?

interesting t5 set up. I didn't know they made them that small, you may have motivated me to set my ap12 back up. Nice looking tank.

Nice setup - I like the zoa frag on the top right... And is that a frogspawn on the top left?

thanks, top right frags are - armor of gods, sunny delights, green people eater, and green smears.

top left is a 3 head of frogspawn and just slightly above it is a hammer frag.

would adding a small power head into the back chamber help? I'm getting some random particles that just stay at the top of the water in the rear chambers.

• 2 weeks later...

quick updated picture from my phone.

got 2 ocellaris on tuesday, but found 1 dead wednesday night when I got home. Cause of death, I persume he swam through the overflow slits and got into chamber 1 swam under to chamber 2 and got stuck by the rubble and chaeto then struggled to death.

post-38114-1245344327_thumb.jpg

well my other clown just met the same demise. Maybe I shouldn't get them so small next time, or get a fish guard for my overflowwww

• 1 month later...

Tank looking good ant! For the back chamber I use eggcrate and custom to fit on the back so that the fish can't jump back there and made a refugium on the second chamber. So any more updates?

Hows the 150 watt k2 viper been on your 12. I am debating about going this route on my nanocube but was kind of worried it may be alittle overkill. All your corals seem to like it, I love the look of that candycane you have in there. Sorry to hear about the clowns, I hope you have better luck the next time around.

• 1 year later...

starting up my tank again (about 6 weeks ago)! finished cycling and stocked some fish today!

my tanks been sitting in my room with no light for about 1.5 years. just water topoff and my k.nano running.

dumped out all the water and sand and started it fresh with my current rocks. new sand, new water.. sold my 150w mh. rapidled par38 60* optics just arrived today.

for the light stand, i'm using a zoo med reptile light stand at petsmart ($21) and clamp on lamp I got at HD for ($7). pictures to come. I chose to go that route for the behind the back attachment.

pictures to come

dont know too much of what happened but looks like you rushed it last time. many things (myself 3 times) can go wrong, patience and long term thought is of the absolute importance, i am still only learning this after 3.5 yeas in the hobby even though knowing it from the start.

do a proper cycle, add items slowly....very slowly...even if all params seem good....trust me from my own fck ups your wallet will thank you 3 years from now.

use 2 hydrometers/ 2 methods to check your salinty in case one is off.

use two heaters, one main one smaller cheaper back up in case first fails.

change 15-20% of water once a week

get a skimmer

use a powerhead

good luck n keep us posted

dont know too much of what happened but looks like you rushed it last time. many things (myself 3 times) can go wrong, patience and long term thought is of the absolute importance, i am still only learning this after 3.5 yeas in the hobby even though knowing it from the start.

do a proper cycle, add items slowly....very slowly...even if all params seem good....trust me from my own fck ups your wallet will thank you 3 years from now.

use 2 hydrometers/ 2 methods to check your salinty in case one is off.

use two heaters, one main one smaller cheaper back up in case first fails.

change 15-20% of water once a week

get a skimmer

use a powerhead

good luck n keep us posted

I got a massive algae breakout that wouldn't clear up and I just got fed up. Decided to put it in the "dark" and have it killed off, got lazy and never really got my tank going again.

Yeah!!! Welcome back cuboy. Where you been bro? Can't wait to see you get it running again.

haha picked up some other hobbies that was taking up my time. Photography and Golf and a bit of traveling.

The light is actually a lot brighter than seen in these pictures. I had to shoot at -1 exposure to get a good color in the picture. I'll was trying to get quick pictures up, but i'll get some better ones soon.

front of tank with the light

FTS_withlight.jpg

a bit of the stand i'm using.

FTS_withstand.jpg

my light stand and clamp

lightrig.jpg

Left side of tank

left.jpg

Left from top angle side of tank

left_up.jpg

front side of tank

front.jpg

right from top angle side of tank

right_up.jpg

right side of tank

right.jpg

my clarkii with white eye lids

fish1.jpg

(blurry but you can kinda see their patterns and color)

fish2.jpg

finally a clear shot

fish3.jpg

=( 1 clarkii died. He hasnt been eating the past few days. He was fine this morning, a few hours later I see him laying flat ont he sandbed on it's side. So i tried to scoop him out to put in a container to try and get himt o eat, and he swam away under the rocks. Few mins later he went back to the same spot laying on it's side.

Tank is looking good! I've got that same lamp stand and par38 bulb :) I was going to mount the bulb like you did, but then I found a socket with the o ring to hang it on the hook. I just had to add a chord to the socket..best part it was like $5 at home depot. Here it is

IMG_20110701_204738.jpg

Tank is looking good! I've got that same lamp stand and par38 bulb :) I was going to mount the bulb like you did, but then I found a socket with the o ring to hang it on the hook. I just had to add a chord to the socket..best part it was like $5 at home depot. Here it is

IMG_20110701_204738.jpg

hey! I was thinking of doing that too, but I just got the clamp w/socket and wired ($7-8) then I got this moonlight that I attached to my clamp as well. I'll take pictures soon! plus, I like the clamp cause I have it slightly angled to hit the back of my tank so the light doesn't spill out of the front.

Archived