Coral Vue Hydros

Nanoreefnate's 75g Reef-New Video! 2.15.09

nanoreefnate

nanoreefnate

well i haven't been to NR for a longgg time... just started visiting again about a week ago... I've been posting on my local clubs forum NCRC ( www.norcalreefclub.com )... i had an old tank thread up but it seemed to have died off so heres my new tank with a revolutionary (ahahah not really) idea... lighting up the aquarium with one side as T5's and one side with metal halide and pc actinics...

i came to this idea when my dad said he didnt want the power bill to go up so i though hmmm lets try this..and here it is...(copied from my thread over at NCRC)

just some background info...

the tank was setup in january of this year. it has a custom stand made by me and my dad. has 2 different lighting systems on it and its sump utilizes 2 10g tanks along with a 10g ecosystem fuge i got of ebay for a real bargain. ok enough with the info here are the pix

alright im really excited about this one coral because it used to be just purple and brown but now its new growth is turning an amazing teal green!

here it is...

1234567890429.jpg

also here in this SPS side shot you can see that i have changed out my bulbs for a 14k phoenix

1234567890449.jpg

Roscoes...starting to regain its green color...

1234567890428.jpg

i just found out that this is an Elias Blue Stag

1234567890440.jpg

Green Pocillipora

1234567890443.jpg

a closer SPS side shot

1234567890446.jpg

one of my Green Slimmers

1234567890432.jpg

the other Green Slimmer

1234567890431.jpg

i also just found out that this is a Crayola Plana that i got from max as just a regular Plana...it also used to me red but its tips and now turning a bright purple

1234567890427.jpg

one of my favorite montis my blue polyped green base noodling cap.

1234567890426.jpg

My Fiji Teal acro showing some great PE

1234567890425.jpg

my Purple Poccilipora which is epoxied side ways to a rock

1234567890422.jpg

Green milis which is also shoing great PE and is growing supper fast... i would say 3 new growth tips have shown up over the last 2 weeks

1234567890421.jpg

another fiji acro...i had ID'ed it but i forgot what the name of it was...

1234567890420.jpg

This acro when i got it was all...ALL brown...now after abotu a month it has regained it Deep Sky Blue color

1234567890419.jpg

my Orange Monti Digi...has grown a lot since ive got it...

1234567890417.jpg

Elliots acro that has regained its green polyps and has encrusted well onto the rock...this is also one of the corals i epoxied side ways onto a rock so it looks kinda cool... 8-)

1234567890413.jpg

Blue Tipped Green Base Acro Teunis

1234567890410.jpg

And last but not least the Obligatory FTS

1234567890447.jpg

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's cool... what t5 unit are you using? that's some major difference in lighting from one side to the other.

nanoreefnate
That's cool... what t5 unit are you using? that's some major difference in lighting from one side to the other.

im using the wanna be Tek fixture that that hellolights cleared out last year

im using the wanna be Tek fixture that that hellolights cleared out last year

How many bulbs? I'm looking at a 75 and know I wouldn't be happy with that if it was my main light. Butr I was also looking at going with 8 bulbs.

nanoreefnate
How many bulbs? I'm looking at a 75 and know I wouldn't be happy with that if it was my main light. Butr I was also looking at going with 8 bulbs.

it has 4 bulbs but im planning on changing one of them so theres a deeper blue to it...i agree that it isn't the best main light but since that side of my tank only has lower light corals (zoas palys acans favias) it isn't really necessary to have a MH system on that part of the tank.

if you really want to use T5's and are planning on keeping SPS an ATI Power Module would be the best pick for you...they come in 4,6,8,and 10 bulb combos.

Beautiful tank! I will definitely have to keep this in mind when I stock mine. Your assortment of SPS is sweet.

The lights that originally came with that particular T5 fixture aren't the best.

They gave kind of a pinkish look to me.

You get a completely different look with upgraded bulbs.

I know cause I had that fixture, and I upgraded the bulbs.

nanoreefnate
Beautiful tank! I will definitely have to keep this in mind when I stock mine. Your assortment of SPS is sweet.

thanks for the awesome comment! yeah i do have a lot of SPS..kinda overstocked if you ask me.. :P thats why i had to epoxy some of the to the vertical faces of my rockscape

The lights that originally came with that particular T5 fixture aren't the best.

They gave kind of a pinkish look to me.

You get a completely different look with upgraded bulbs.

I know cause I had that fixture, and I upgraded the bulbs.

oh ok thanks for the info! what bulb selection do you have and what color does it give you?

i was planning on 2 aquablue specials 1 actinic and 1 pro color

I like the 50/50 lighting concept...I have a similar setup on my 75...it is peninsular and has an SPS side with 250 Phoenix and a lower light side with 150 Phoenix and I have 2X T5HO 39W Actinics running down each side....The difference isn't as noticible, but who says a tank has to be the same as everybody else's....that's why we all are born and raised with opinions...

I love it....

nanoreefnate
I like the 50/50 lighting concept...I have a similar setup on my 75...it is peninsular and has an SPS side with 250 Phoenix and a lower light side with 150 Phoenix and I have 2X T5HO 39W Actinics running down each side....The difference isn't as noticible, but who says a tank has to be the same as everybody else's....that's why we all are born and raised with opinions...

I love it....

thanks a lot mitch! ive seen your tank and i loveee yours too :happy:

ohhh are you using the current sundial systems? i was at first going to use MH on both using the 2 different current sundials but then since i already had this T5 fixture i said ohh well ill just use this then.. ;)

b_c_fisher

I vote overdrive the bulbs with an Icecap ballast I did with my 4x24W which made them 4x40W and they look awesome even with Odyssea stock bulbs

Actually my T5's are just waterproof endcaps attached to the inside of my hood on one side and the other on the inside of the lift side. The whole side of my hood is hinged for access....I kick them with a Workhorse 5 and bounce them off the "new style" tec individual reflectors from Sunlight Supply....they are the ones with like 27 bends each...the bulbs are Geieseman Actinic Plus....the T5's are only like 4 1/2 inches off the water....

My MH's are both ReefOptix III Pendants, the 150W has a Coralvue E-Ballast, the 250W is an old, used, crappy E-Ballast from EVC....they used to make killer ballasts but went out of business several years ago....

Sorry about the hijack....

nanoreefnate
Actually my T5's are just waterproof endcaps attached to the inside of my hood on one side and the other on the inside of the lift side. The whole side of my hood is hinged for access....I kick them with a Workhorse 5 and bounce them off the "new style" tec individual reflectors from Sunlight Supply....they are the ones with like 27 bends each...the bulbs are Geieseman Actinic Plus....the T5's are only like 4 1/2 inches off the water....

My MH's are both ReefOptix III Pendants, the 150W has a Coralvue E-Ballast, the 250W is an old, used, crappy E-Ballast from EVC....they used to make killer ballasts but went out of business several years ago....

Sorry about the hijack....

its all good. .i like the way u setup your lighting system. :happy:

SmittyCoco

Nate !!! Your cheating on us !!!! :o J/k :D Your pictures look better here for some reason? Oh I get it you saved the cream of the crop for N-R !!! :haha::haha:

nanoreefnate
Nate !!! Your cheating on us !!!! :o J/k :D Your pictures look better here for some reason? Oh I get it you saved the cream of the crop for N-R !!! :haha::haha:

lol wuzup matt :)

and this is the same post as on my thread on NCRC ;)

seahorsejl

Neat idea for the split tank (mine is similar ... but for different reasons). I would be interested in seeing pictures from the left side of the tank.

bulbs for the HL fixture, 2 ATI blue+, 1 ATI aquablue special, 1 K-figi purple.

dont waste your money on the procolor. no need for actinics with the blue+ bulbs

nanoreefnate
bulbs for the HL fixture, 2 ATI blue+, 1 ATI aquablue special, 1 K-figi purple.

dont waste your money on the procolor. no need for actinics with the blue+ bulbs

/

oh really? thanks for the info on the bulb combo..do you think it will match the halide side of my tank?

• 1 month later...
nanoreefnate

alrighty well i changed my aquascape...AGAIN LOL... now i have much more flow thru the back of my rocks on the sps side. i also pulled some rocks out to accommodate the increase in flow...=)

Archived