Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nebthet's 57g REEF-NEW Pix! 04-19-2011

nebthet

Yeah.. it is hard sometimes. Jim is about 2hrs from me. I am gonna email him and see what he can get in for macroalgae so he can place an order for some for me when he makes an order in September.

The LFS here in Belleville is far too expensive and won't bring in special things like that. That is why no one goes to him, also the livestock he gets in is not in the best of shape. He doesn't have his SW section properly set up to handle the bioload he gets. He has lots of water and tanks, but no live rock for biofiltration. That is why everyone goes to Jims.

I would say to put them in your 24g, but make a nice cave area in the front of the tank for them prior to getting them and hopefully they will host that area.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha its funny because I got my rock from GARF, so one of the rocks is actually a cave, believe me if I put them in my 24g I would never see them, ever. Thats why I am still on the fence about getting one at all.

Thats a bummer about your LFS, mine are the same way so I know what its like.

Yeah, I am hoping to educate the local people bit by bit so as not to offend them and perhaps they will start doing things right. If so, then I will purchase from them, especially if they lower their prices a little.

I try to do that, but nobody listens to a 15 year old lol :(

Yours have high prices too?? Wow I think your LFS is a tank for tank copy of mine.

Yeah, they try to sell 50 Gallon bags of Instant Ocean salt for $39.99 when everyone else around sells the same thing for $19.99

They charge 10$ a pound for crappy live rock. The other one holds 10inch tangs and huge angels in ten gallon tanks. Most of the fish I see in the tanks are dead too. Its really sad seeing 20 clowns in a 10g with no live rock.

They charge 10$ a pound for crappy live rock. The other one holds 10inch tangs and huge angels in ten gallon tanks. Most of the fish I see in the tanks are dead too. Its really sad seeing 20 clowns in a 10g with no live rock.

yeah i hate those overpriced rocks...

i bought at 2lb live rock for like $10 ish. but the owner wanted to charge me cycled price which was like 1.50 more...it didnt have any coraline algae or anything also they just got it last night. dont think liverock cures that fast. :angry:

i still bought it since it was a sexy piece.

Ouch, that is a lot for live rock. I get mine here from Jim for $6/lb fully cured and sitting in water in a huge pond tub and I get to pick the pieces.

I also purchased from a local reefer who was selling some of his off for $4.50/lb right out of his tank with lots of feather duster on it and brittle stars. The only issue with his rock I had is he gave me a piece with aiptasia on it and it is going nuts in my tank and joe's juice isn't working, neither is lemon, boiling water. So Aiptasia X is my last resort. Odd thing though, that whatever it butts up against so far and touches like my candy canes doesn't seem to be bothered much by it. So far lucky!

This Jim sounds like a good guy, although all Canadians seem to be from my experience :)

Hopefully you get the pest nems under control, it would be a shame for them to take over, but there has to be a way, you have the same species as everyone else haha.

Jim is awsome actually. He gave me the coco worm for free!! I was sooo stoked. He gives lots of good advice and tries to get yeah anything you want. He can get a Candy Basslet and sell it to you for $89 where most places are charging $130 or more. He also gave me three free mushrooms when I first started into saltwater and bought my stuff from him all used.

He sells coral colonies for between $35 to $55 depending on size. He also talks your ear off anytime you go to see him. Guaranteed when you go, you are there for an hour or more just chatting LOL.

Yeah, I figure I will eventually get them nipped in the butt but it will take some time. As long as the aiptasia doesn't start really hurting anything I will keep on trying what I can.

Wow colonies??! Thats a great price. I have noticed that most good LFS owners do talk a lot, helpful though haha.

Wow a coco worm for free? Sweeet...

Hopefully you do, wouldn't want to see any of your corals dieing.

yeah I know those are great prices. He sells SPS colonies for that too, problem is I like to see the pics of the colors I am ordering first and not just go by the names. I am gonna hold out and get an enchinata and granulosa colony from him eventually.

Yeah.. I was happy to get the coco free. I had always wanted to get one, but went for what I needed and planned for first. But now, I am planning for more.

He had a nice summer sale in June for them where you could get 2 for $35.

Yes, I hope not to loose anything else either. Crossing my fingers and knocking on wood.

Hmmm.. Well you may be able to work something out with him there. Living in Gananoque he is really close to the border, so if he is planning on going to the US some time he may be able to put something together and send it out to you once he crosses. I am speculating though.

I looked at his site, at first I was like ehh these seem like normal prices, then I remembered its canadian dollars.

The one thing I like about canadian money is its always a dollar amount. I hardly ever saw something that was 19.99 in canada.

Well that is just it. He runs his business out of his home garage and most of the people who buy from him tell him what they are looking for in terms of coloration and size and he lets you know if he can get it.

Sweet. I would rather support that than my crappy LFS. You should buy from him only lol.

Huh well if he comes into the US with any SPS or LPS colonies I will want them lol.

I predominantly buy from Jim, but I thought to give Fragalot a try... never again... but I will support hobbyists who know what they are doing like nematoad.

I am trying to see if I can get my cerith snail eggs to hatch in my 25g. They laid eggs the other day on my baby onyx's little home and I had to clean it tonight, so I scraped the cerith eggs off into my other tank. With luck they will hatch and have lots of diatoms to eat.

Thats one thing I have never had happen. I had smotatella snails spawn in my tank it was weird. But never had snails actually lay eggs.

Heck ya, support the people who are doing things right.

My cerith snails lay eggs all the time. And I have a few baby snails in the tank, but I am not sure if they are trochus, nerite or turbos. They are really small though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well now that I have a new computer I am slowly getting things reconfigured but at least I can start to add pics again. Here are a couple and in a few days after I do a water change and clean out the baby onyx's pen I will add more pics.

Happy hungry BTA

bta08-20-2009.jpg

Frogspawn with flash under blue leds

florofroggy08-2009.jpg

Blue/Purple mushroom with 2 babies

purpmushies08-30-2009.jpg

Here are some comparison shots.

Duncans way back when I first got them in January 2009 with only 4 heads.

duncans01-30-2009.jpg

duncan1.jpg

Duncans now with 24heads

duncanheads08-2009.jpg

Back in May

sps1-1.jpg

acro3.jpg

Purple acropora: Now extremely purple

purpacro1-08-25-2009.jpg

purpacro2-08-25-2009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I scooped up my mothers one digital camera she is looking to sell as I was curious about it's ability compared to the camera I use now, since they are both 8mpeg cameras.. Now I somewhat wish I hadn't because I am probably gonna buy it from her.

So here are some of the pix from tonight.

My green zoas have really grown over the last 3 to 4 months.

zoas09-08-2009.jpg

The Tiny Toadstool

toadstool09-08-2009.jpg

What is left of one of the sps frags I received from a crappy frag business. It is still working at healing and not spreading yet.

sps2-09-08-2009.jpg

sps1-09-08-2009.jpg

Right tank shot. As you can see from this pic my BTA has decided to move on me. I thought it was dead at first and started panicing as I just came home after being away for a couple of days, but everything else in the tank looked fine.. I found it behind the rocks moving up on the right.

rts09-08-2009.jpg

Red Mushrooms I got in a trade. If you look to the far right, you can see a baby growing. Finally!

redmushies09-09-2009.jpg

Blue spotted mushie and my single green mushroom.

mushies09-08-209.jpg

Better pix of the unknown purple sps.

purpsps1-09-09-2009.jpg

purpsps2-09-08-2009.jpg

Runt is quickly developing his stripes now. As you can see from this pic he has started his mid-bar from the bottom.

runt09-08-2009.jpg

This is the oldest sps I have had in my tank. Again, another one I purchased way back in Jan from the crappy frag online store. It had developed RTN, which was not their fault but due to high salinity in my tank. This happened in April/May.. It has now really started growing out this summer. It is now developing a nice purple coloration, and you can see where new branches will start growing up.

acroregrow1-09-08-2009.jpg

acroregrow2-09-08-2009.jpg

Jigsaw, my picasso. My female Big Momma got a little rough with him a few weeks ago. But he's unphased.

jigsaw09-08-2009.jpg

Branching hammer and froggy in the foreground.

euphyllia1-09-08-2009.jpg

Duncans

duncans09-08-2009.jpg

Dendros and Suncorals.

dendrosuns09-08-2009.jpg

Cocoworm.... now if I had this camera when the worm photocontest was happening, I might have been able to give Kraylen a run for his money .... LOL.

cocoworm09-08-2009.jpg

Here are just a couple non-tank related shots of my other pets.

Dragonmistress Ka shedding her skin and looking very heavy with eggs.

ka1.jpg

Ryn apparently felt let helping me out with the computer.

ryn09-08-2009.jpg

Archived