Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

South Florida Tide Pool Biotope

Sword

I recently set up a 5.5g rimless AGA with hand collected flora and fauna from a South Florida tide pool . This is predominantly a macroalgae system with a crap ton of invertebrates (and one little blenny fish).

Equipment

JBJ Picotope 9w 50/50 Light - Going to upgrade this when money permits.

Cascade 150 Power Filter - was on clearance for $9.99.

Soon to have a NanoMag, Hydor Theo 50w Heater, and a new light.

Occupants

Macro algaes - will have to get them ID'd as I get better pictures of them.

Goby - Ctenogobius boleosoma

Dozens of snails - limpets, little tiny cerith snails, nerites, a BIG Turbo with awesome macro on his shell, predatory whelks, and probably other sorts in there as well

Dozens of hermit crabs - red and blue legged - various sizes - one big man, probably 1/4 of the size of my big turbo snail

Spotted Sea Hare - little guy - this tank was set up around him

Crabs - little sand crabs, some crazy rock crab thing, crabs covered in macro

Nudibranches - look like hair algae caterpillars - I had at least two. Not sure if they've made it into the tank yet or are still waiting to be sorted in the bucket.

Starfish - little brittle or serpent stars.

Dozens of Micro Sea Urchins

Red compound tunicate with purple dots.

White mass: Sponge? It's smooth

Pods Pods Pods! All sorts - lots of little critters scurrying about. Most life I've ever seen.

Pictures

taken with my iPhone. Will take better pictures in time.

3505658039_47c3681439_b.jpg

3505658341_f9f22c1652_b.jpg

3505659309_80d4702199_b.jpg

mxstunter

TATS awesome u collected all this stuff from a tide pool!!! awesome. i would find a different method of filtration tho, ur prob better off with a hang on back. unless thats what u have :D

The Cascade is a HOB. Just attached it, so it hasn't had much time to clear the water.

I eventually want to turn this into a 10g SAIO.

the anenome thing looks like a thomas mushroom.

Do you have any pictures? It's somewhere between a RBTA and a sponge in appearance.

Going to put them to use, no worries. I could easily put what I have left in my tank, but I didn't want it to be cluttered. Likely going to set up a 2.5 AGA for my bedroom or use some of the macro for my fuge when I drill my picotope.

It's mostly stray macro and hermit crabs that fell out when I was picking the choice pieces.

Slightly better pictures! Blurry, but the best I can do for now. Click for full size

Tunicate?

3505962013_66e6cc1597.jpg?v=0

Big Turbo (?) Snail with his macro algae hat and urchin friend.

3505964071_aecb02c733.jpg?v=0

FTS

3506775034_b04c603d64.jpg?v=0

From above-ish

3505968043_28b2bcb139.jpg?v=0

Butters, the Spotted Sea Hare, munching on some red macro

3505969999_085a39648a.jpg?v=0

Smooth, white growth on rock.

3505971945_a5d3395a09.jpg?v=0

Macro in the corner

3506783176_94501eebc5.jpg?v=0

FTS

3506769300_a157b83b5d.jpg?v=0

The fiber wrapped around the intake is to keep the sea hare from getting injured. It also works as a prefilter and keeps the bits of macro out.

Anyone have any resources for identifying macro algae and other critters? I'm trying to figure out exactly what everything is.

So it turns out my blenny is not a blenny! After digging around fishbase, I've discovered that it's a darter goby.

I really want to set this tank up properly as a Rimless 10g AIO.

The Sea Hare has carved through all of the red macro algae in the tank. It's appetite is insatiable. I hope it starts eating on the other types or he might be going back to the tidepool.

The tank is in relative shambles compared to how it looked originally. The sea hare was more insatiable than I thought. It ate all of the pretty red algae I had. The thinner hair looking algae never took hold under the poor lighting. Tank is still running, with only the various Caulerpa sp. growing and spreading. I'm still finding new stuff in there every day. New crabs, starfish, snails, etc.

Going to set this up as a 10g SAIO with DIY 70w MH. Hopefully I can start that project in the next few weeks. Going to either see if a local reefer needs the sea hare or return him back to his tide pool (which should be fine since everything in the tank, including the water, is from the same spot).

Archived