Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ReefBuddy DIY Aquarium Controller $89

hcsceo

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering about the switched inputs in respect to an ATO. Most of the arduino, etc.. based ATOs I've come across don't have any "debouncing" on the switches. Due to the nature of water flowing through our tanks, I think it's wise to have about a 2-3 sec "debounce" of the float switches to allow for water surface fluctuations. From the code I've seen, extremely easy to implement, unless all switched inputs are meant to be general purpose.

If I wasn't both moving into & fixing up a house and setting up a new frag system, I'd have one done already. I'm currently using an Amtel based Multi-mode timer kit for ATO control http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/elec/ck1614.htm & it's working very nicely, for what it is.

I'm wondering about the switched inputs in respect to an ATO. Most of the arduino, etc.. based ATOs I've come across don't have any "debouncing" on the switches. Due to the nature of water flowing through our tanks, I think it's wise to have about a 2-3 sec "debounce" of the float switches to allow for water surface fluctuations. From the code I've seen, extremely easy to implement, unless all switched inputs are meant to be general purpose.

If I wasn't both moving into & fixing up a house and setting up a new frag system, I'd have one done already. I'm currently using an Amtel based Multi-mode timer kit for ATO control http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/elec/ck1614.htm & it's working very nicely, for what it is.

Debouncing is not a problem. I have my system programmed to respond to ATO switch only once per hour regarding what the switch says. I had tough to calibrate the pump running time so on a calm water the switch will travel from on to off position with the ATO addition. It take 10 sec. for me using a small Tunze pump.So, ... ATO can run only 10 seconds/hour. This way is totally safe for dosing kalk.

hope it helps,

Marian

Hi Steve,

I want it all,the entire package, as indicated I will be breadboarding the system to develop custom software for same.

As to distribution I suspect a wiki would be best for distribution so you are NOT mailing out endless copies and all can contribute .(my 2 cents)

thanx again

gwen

LOL, PCB design competition. I want all the chips to show artistic expression when layed out ;)

OK what I have is the schems, the PCB outline, LCD plug and keyboard plug locations which can't change. The schems in include every part number and Digikey part number for every part needed to complete it.

Steve

Yes debouncing is easy money in the arduino like marion said. I didn't think about it but sounds like that would make a good option in the menus.

Hi Steve,

I want it all,the entire package, as indicated I will be breadboarding the system to develop custom software for same.

As to distribution I suspect a wiki would be best for distribution so you are NOT mailing out endless copies and all can contribute .(my 2 cents)

thanx again

gwen

I'll be posting everything on Reefbuddy.com as soon as I get a solid PCB design finished.

What you are talking about is a slosh filter. Common for fluid measurements. I had to implement one for a fuel tank once. Not hard, and certainly easier on this system than in a moving vehicle.

Still looking for any volunteers for the PCB design part. I have finished a PCB design over the weekend that will allow us to move forward with the final PCB design. This basic design I made includes all components in a larger PCB so that we can build something and get a design that can work to everyone. I'm going to start working on the gcode to get it working on my CNC this week.

Steve

gwenhastings

Hi Steve,

while I could help with tha(pcb design)t I am sure there are others far more skilled than moi in current PCB design techniques. What I can help with is design verification of that schematic by writing routines other than the ones you have planned for it. This will help expose hardware/software defects in the design as a whole(as I am planning on breadboarding the circuit(yes i DO have a solderless breadboard that large and enough jumpers:)(have to watch out for stray capacitance with that approach though) .

And as I mentioned before I need to have Dual EC or multiplexed EC measurement sections as my application for the circuit is quite different.

None of this requires me to wait for a PCB board from bulgaria/china, after I get through verifying the modified design I need then I will see about expanding one of the present PCB layouts you and others are producing.

Also have you decided on an appropriate Open Source license to release your design as yet?

and are you using the same PCB design tool as firewolf or something else?

all the best

gwen

ps did you modify isabellas circuit by substituting PWM output for her oscillator circuit?(ie I had a similar idea but decided against for whatever reason at the time)(and this is the question that i am especially curious about...)

Still looking for any volunteers for the PCB design part. I have finished a PCB design over the weekend that will allow us to move forward with the final PCB design. This basic design I made includes all components in a larger PCB so that we can build something and get a design that can work to everyone. I'm going to start working on the gcode to get it working on my CNC this week.

Steve

Since when has anything been on time? Microsoft has been pushing off WinMo7 for almost 2 years. Sony has delayed numerous Gran Tourismo games for months/years past their initial delivery date (Gran Tourismo for PSP is a great example, as that was supposed to be a PSP launch title). And yes, I know these are completely different scales, but that's multi billion dollar companies with thousands of employees working on big projects, versus two guys with little to no budget working on a relatively big project (for them).

Blizzard always delays the hell out of their games too. :angry:

Still here :)

Sent a PM

THANK YOU :) PM SENT.

OK guys hopefully we have a winner here. Looks like theatrus might have some experience in this so I'm hoping we are moving forward.

Gwenhastings, I've sent you a PM also.

Tell me about it. I want Diablo 3 bad.

woot the project is still very much alive.

Is the estimated $89 also included the salinity probe and has the powerpack plug priced in?

D3 would be cool. But I still "pwned" you in d2 with my Amapk!

OK I sent everything off to the "new guy" lol. I'm excited to be moving forward again. I'm going to cut this bad boy this weekend if all goes well on the CNC.

D3 sounds good. I'm playing COD6 and the new battlefield right now.

thewire,

The final price will not include any probes but should include the power adapter. I've left the $89 up there as my goal but it is possible it could be 10-20 higher depending on the final board design. Right now we are on track for the $89 based on my last pricing 6 months ago. I have leads on awesome probes and the pricing will be lower than anything in the market right now. I've got samples and they seem to work just fine.

Steve

Deleted User 6

there's a controller coming out sometime that will be cool and we still don't know when Diablo 3 will be released.

yw.

there's a controller coming out sometime that will be cool and we still don't know when Diablo 3 will be released.

yw.

Diablo 3 will be released in 2096!

Archived