Coral Vue Hydros

ReefBuddy DIY Aquarium Controller $89

hcsceo

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you serious? Are you aware as to the amount of effort required to do all of this? And with them only being able to invest a little time per week into getting it done? This is a huge task, and will take time.

Are you serious? Are you aware as to the amount of effort required to do all of this? And with them only being able to invest a little time per week into getting it done? This is a huge task, and will take time.

No, I'm not aware of the amount of time other than the original goal. I do know a rough prototype was available back in the spring and the PCB layouts have been a work in progress since November. The developer last posted a month ago and the PCB guy over two months ago. There have been no progress updates since.

I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what happened to this project.

Bump for updates to keep this project alive...

No, I'm not aware of the amount of time other than the original goal. I do know a rough prototype was available back in the spring and the PCB layouts have been a work in progress since November. The developer last posted a month ago and the PCB guy over two months ago. There have been no progress updates since.

I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what happened to this project.

Bump for updates to keep this project alive...

+1 - This project, which was scheduled to take 5 months by the person creating is 7 months behind; although apparently development is complete and the project is waiting on a board layout.

I understand that the creators have personal lives and have limited time to dedicate to this effort and I have no problem with delays - But the very least that could be done is regular updates on why the long delay. A massive amount of hype was created around this project and creator has a responsibility to deliver SOMETHING; be it in the very least, updates.

I for one say that the OP make good on his promise for this to be an open source project. I understand that he may not have the time to finish; But give us the schematics and source. That way someone who DOES have the time and resources can finish the project and deliver it to the community.

I don't see why everyone is getting so hostile about this. It's not like you have laid out money for a pre-order of the controller. If you want an update, ask for an update. Don't attack the guys that are basically volunteering their time to create something that will benefit others in the end. I don't see any of them taking home a paycheck as a result of this developement effort. If you think you can help, PM the OP about it. This isn't the way to get things done faster.

I'm not getting hostile; But I, like everybody else, would like to know what's going on. Looks like many people have asked for updates and have gotten no real response. Look at post at post 373 on page 19; kind of hard to PM somebody when their inbox is full.

You're right, I didn't put a pre-order down. But I also never asked Steve to build it for me. Steve came out and made promises about this controller.

If somebody promises you something and promises to give it to you by a certain date and then on top of that tells you that they'll give it to you for free (as in speech) you're gonna get excited. Now after 4 months of "almost there" and then another 3 months of ZERO updates - You'd get a little upset, no ?

I feel that if Steve and Firewolf can't finish the project, they should release the code and schematics so that we can either build it for ourselves or that another user who has the time can finish the project for the community.

neanderthalman
If somebody promises you something and promises to give it to you by a certain date and then on top of that tells you that they'll give it to you for free (as in speech) you're gonna get excited. Now after 4 months of "almost there" and then another 3 months of ZERO updates - You'd get a little upset, no ?

I feel that if Steve and Firewolf can't finish the project, they should release the code and schematics so that we can either build it for ourselves or that another user who has the time can finish the project for the community.

It's clear you've never been on the other side. These projects take time - usually far more time than anticipated. Things come up. Roadblocks get in the way. Attention gets diverted. Finances get strained. Welcome to reality.

You should take your entitlement issues and STFU. The designers owe you nothing. They don't owe you the finished product. They don't owe you the source code, schematics, or board layout - ever heard of intellectual property rights? They don't owe you shiat. They can choose to release it to the community, and I hope they still do. However, if you keep up with your needy demanding bullshiat, I wouldn't blame them for taking their ball and going home.

They're doing some damn good work, and it's in your best interests to STFU and let them finish. You can either have it done right, or you can have it done right now. Give them the time to perfect it.

If you can't wait, then GTFO and design your own.

Since when has anything been on time? Microsoft has been pushing off WinMo7 for almost 2 years. Sony has delayed numerous Gran Tourismo games for months/years past their initial delivery date (Gran Tourismo for PSP is a great example, as that was supposed to be a PSP launch title). And yes, I know these are completely different scales, but that's multi billion dollar companies with thousands of employees working on big projects, versus two guys with little to no budget working on a relatively big project (for them).

I agree that they owe us nothing. They don't owe us code, schematics, designs, etc. None of us have anything invested in their success or failure.

They only thing I think they should do is provide updates on where this project stands and if they are still interested in completing this project. We are obviously interested in this project from the amount of posts there have been.

And that's good that you are interested. What you must also note is that Steve hasn't been on the site as a whole in almost a month, so something must be going on that is preventing progress and updates. Firewolf4 hasn't been on since December 12th.

neanderthalman

They also don't owe us an update, and explanation, or a schedule. It would be nice to hear something, but they are under no obligation whatsoever.

They also don't owe us an update, and explanation, or a schedule. It would be nice to hear something, but they are under no obligation whatsoever.

I couldn't agree more, and I find the sense of entitlement behind these complaints to be disturbing. They are trying to do us a huge favor, and the last thing they deserve is to hear complaints about how the huge favor is taking too long. These guys don't owe me a darned thing, and if they stop right now, and never get around to finishing it, they deserve nothing but my gratitude, for blazing this trail, and for what I've learned from reading this thread.

And I have learned a lot also, AND that being said there are many of us here who COULD help effectively in prototyping circuits and PCB layout as well as writing code of various flavours to drive the whole lashup.

Its possibly out of that wanting to help so badly and being unable to as the developers havent reached out for same that is driving a LOT of the frustration I suspect, not so much a sense of entitlement in a lot of cases.(remember a LOT of us dont have very good social skills or extensive human socialization on this blog).

I for instance want nothing more than the near final schematic so I can breadboard the device up to write my own flavor of code for same, I dont care a whit about PCBs at this point until that is done, others here have professed interest in assisting with developing PCB layouts and manufacture.

The real point here is while I am ecstatic that the project has advanced to this point and its proposed it be a community/opensource project , we will have to wait for the developers to reach out by making the schematic available to the rest of us before we can assist effectively with further progress, like for instance what mods have been made to Isabella's circuit to integrate it with the 644P(ie glue and interface circuitry)

Were hardware PWM signals substituted for the sine wave gen sections of isabellas circuit?

I have another thousand questions or so that will be settled with the chance to see only the schematic.

I do invite the developers to reach out and involve the rest of us by releasing the schematic, but until/unless that happens we will have to sit here patiently and not let our frustrations get the better of us.

regards

gwen hastings - a would be reef buddy developer..

I couldn't agree more, and I find the sense of entitlement behind these complaints to be disturbing. They are trying to do us a huge favor, and the last thing they deserve is to hear complaints about how the huge favor is taking too long. These guys don't owe me a darned thing, and if they stop right now, and never get around to finishing it, they deserve nothing but my gratitude, for blazing this trail, and for what I've learned from reading this thread.

@gwenhastings

Those are my feelings exactly.

I never said the they OWE me anything, I never complained about the time that it's taking to develop the project. What I did say was the opposite of that - I said I have no problem with delays.

But like everybody else following along, I feel discouraged that there are no updates to the status of the project. With nearly 40, 000 views of this thread; I suspect there a few more disappointed people.

I mention the publishing of schematics and source not because I feel "entitled" to it; but because Steve himself not only proposed this to be an open source project, he himself said that he was excited to release the source material and see where the community would take this project.

@neanderthalman

I don't see why the need for personal attacks

Yes, I have been on the other side and I do know about delays and setbacks. I had all my livestock sitting rubbermaid containers for 4 weeks because of setbacks and stuff just playing out the wrong way.

I don't need them to rush their design for me because I've already built myself a controller; which I'm in the process of moving from a breadboard to soldered prototype board. I am however very interested in seeing their schematics and code and maybe learn from their work to optimize my circuits and code. Should Steve choose not release those - I'm not worried, my prototype does what I need it to do in it's current incarnation.

The whole point of the DIY forum is to share knowledge and experiences and help others in the process correct ? Steve's project would be a great help not only to the nano-reef.com community but to the reef-keeping community in general. I hope he does end up sharing his knowledge and experience (like he promised us he would) with everyone.

BTW... Why not be civil and leave the "STFU and GTFO" for the playground ?

neanderthalman
@neanderthalman

I don't see why the need for personal attacks

Yes, I have been on the other side and I do know about delays and setbacks. I had all my livestock sitting rubbermaid containers for 4 weeks because of setbacks and stuff just playing out the wrong way.

<snip>

BTW... Why not be civil and leave the "STFU and GTFO" for the playground ?

Perhaps, if you're having these setbacks with your tank, you should give me your livestock. That way someone else can finish what you started.

Replace your livestock with their design, and you'll notice that this is the very same demand that you made. Yet, if I were to actually demand this of you, I'd get the STFU and GTFO treatment, would I not?

You get only as much civility as you deserve. When you make rude demands, you get treated rudely.

Well, this bickering between all of us isn't making this thread any more productive, so it should end now.

Would it be nice for them to give us an update? Sure.

Should they post the schematics and source code? Maybe, but they don't have to. It's their work.

Should we all play nice and wait for the next update? Definitely.

Like I mentioned before, neither Steve or Firewolf4 have been on in quite a while, which is at least unusual for Steve, so something must be going on that is slowing progress. Beyond this, we can only speculate.

If they're just waiting on the PCBs, then, imho, there's no reason to not just post the code & schematics if it truly is "open source". Of course, that's a purely "it would be nice" scenario.

There was a lot of interest in this project, here as well as other boards (incl RC), but it's dwindled, and other projects are well on their way or even completed, with full code. As an example: http://reefprojects.com/w/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=8

If you've been waiting on this project, perhaps it's worth it to check out the other stuff that's come out recently and see if they're at your level of skill.

neanderthalman

Well.....there is reason Dae. "open-source" doesn't mean it's given away incomplete, or is fully open during development.

You're missing a key point - glory. The guys on this project have a right to be proud of their work, and to release it as a completed unit. To take their virtually-completed project, and have someone else finish it, is to steal that opportunity for glory from them and give it to that someone else. No-one cares if you ran 99m in record time. You've gotta go the full 100.

Glory and pride is the return for their hard work.

It'd be nice for us if it were released as-is - but it wouldn't be nice for them. I think they should finish it and not someone else. They deserve that much.

Well I have to agree with everyone, an update is needed. No worries for those of you that are frustrated and thank you to those who have defended. It is true things have been moving very slow. Firewolf has been very busy in his personal life as I have. I had hoped to deliver this last year in September so that I could get in front of the hunting season knowing I would have no time to work on this till after Spring Turkey's.

This brings us to the next part.... I need the PCB done and I think the fastest way to get it done is to release the project as it sits right now. All the circuits are complete and tested and all I need is someone to design the PCB so I can cut it on the CNC. I just don't have the time to do the PCB work right now. Firewolf has had this since September and I haven't seen anything yet so I suspect his life is as busy as all of ours. The programmer is at a standstill till we get the final PCB completed. Anyone interested in helping with the PCB design please IM me. I'm cleaning out my inbox as we speak. The only requirement is that the PCB is designed to fit in a box that is already selected to accept our keypad.

Please let me know if you are interested. I'm sure we could get this done in a month with a little help.

Thanks

Steve

OK guys I got my account upgraded back to premium so I can get IM's again. LETS GET IT DONE :))

Steve

I agree with evil.

How about you ALL come over to my place. I'll grill up some bratwurst, which we'll wash down with Warsteiner, then who ever still has beef can throw-it-down in a game of quarters. Civilized enough. :wizard:

Woot! I think there are multiple people willing to do the PCB layouts. Give it to them all and let them race... for glory.

LOL, PCB design competition. I want all the chips to show artistic expression when layed out ;)

OK what I have is the schems, the PCB outline, LCD plug and keyboard plug locations which can't change. The schems in include every part number and Digikey part number for every part needed to complete it.

Steve

Deleted User 6

For the people wanting more regular updates and a faster finished product, why don't you paypal the designers some money. A few thousand bucks would probably help them move faster, I bet ;)

Archived