Cultivated Reef

Lani's 10gal Coldwater

Lalani

Title says it all. :happy:

Currently testing the chiller. It's been running for a few hours and has brought the water down to 68F so far. I've put a few towels around it to insulate it a little bit, but I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow to buy a sheet of foam insulation. Will cut pieces for the sides and back of the tank, and also the HOB sides and back.. all of which will be spray painted black. Also need to swing by wal-mart or some place and buy a light.. then I'll have everything to start this sucker up!

IMG_4587.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SWEET! I may have missed this in another thread, but what size tank is that? looks like a 5. Whats the stocking plan? biotope?

ten gallon. this is in the biotopes subforum :P

Looks................ghetto :P

Good thing I like ghetto ;)

Oh whatever, I'm just testing it right now.... it will look worse. :P

Edit: oh, and no, that's not the spot it's going to stay in.

How are you getting the strawberry anemones? This is gonna be awesome!

From a fellow NR member, if he's still willing to sell me some stuff. (:flower: for him)

How many dang tanks is this now girl? No wonder you don't have time for a boyfriend ! Always doing waterchanges and maintanence ! LOL ! omgomgomg

Why the thermoelectric?

The what now? Iceprobe? :mellow:

How many dang tanks is this now girl? No wonder you don't have time for a boyfriend ! Always doing waterchanges and maintanence ! LOL ! omgomgomg

lol, 4 (I only do the water changes on mom's tank so it doesn't count) and I spend maybe 20 minutes max on the tanks each day. Plenty of time for a bf, but I'm being selfish. ;)

naughty girl :o this one snuck up on meh

:ninja:

<---------- coldwater nooblet, didn't know what a thermoelectric was...

I'm being cheap with this tank and found the chiller at a pretty low price. If it gives me any trouble, I'll most likely move up to a refrigerant-based one. What trouble did you have with yours?

Even with an acrylic tank in a plywood enclosure it just couldn't keep up. I think it bottomed out at about 20 degrees below ambient, but since the ambient temp of the room fluctuates so did the tank temp.

horusmachine

Oh I am so glad you are testing this setup. I was thinking ten gallons myself. I will be following

this thread closely.

In my use of Ice probes, I noticed 5 degree pull down. That is 5 less than advertised. Ambient

temp is also a big factor in fluctuation.

Keep use updated

H

Even with an acrylic tank in a plywood enclosure it just couldn't keep up. I think it bottomed out at about 20 degrees below ambient, but since the ambient temp of the room fluctuates so did the tank temp.

With that much drawdown, couldn't you have set the controller to turn the chiller on/off at the highest maintainable temp based on your room fluctuations and thus been able to keep the temperature relatively steady?

Nice start Lani. I hope the insulation will get you to the target temp :)

Thanky guys. The water is 67F (ambient room temp is around 74F) this morning.... Not sure if the insulation will help bring the temp down enough though, but I'll give it a try.

If all else fails, I suppose I could ask for a nicer chiller for my b-day..

With that much drawdown, couldn't you have set the controller to turn the chiller on/off at the highest maintainable temp based on your room fluctuations and thus been able to keep the temperature relatively steady?

The ambient temp of the room was 80 degrees. Since I was looking for max pull-down, I didn't use the controller. I could never get the temp below 60 though. I guess for Waratahs and Catalina gobies it would have been fine, but not for the Gulf of Maine livestock I had been planning on at the time.

Archived