Coral Vue Hydros

Reese's Rimless 14g

blizzardscout2

blizzardscout2

I couldn't get a good photo with my 35mm lens and that is all I have right now. So here is probably the most beautiful RFA

15D4DC5E-D531-4F8E-9056-A6E360AA30EE_zps

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They look really pretty! I love RFA's but haven't had good luck keeping them in my mixed tank, the one I had walked all over everything trying to find a good spot. It was like the terminator RFA. I sent it to Flower Mama and it's been a model citizen in her tank. I guess she just has the magic touch :)

blizzardscout2

One is definitely dying or dead. Another looks like it's foot was torn and it was shipped that way which is very odd. I will make a claim i guess.

One is definitely dying or dead. Another looks like it's foot was torn and it was shipped that way which is very odd. I will make a claim i guess.

Well that stinks :(

blizzardscout2

Yeah, I have been at work so I will go home now and see if the other one survived. The torn foot one was definitely dying from infection probably, but it was holding onto the bottom before I left for work. The owner is willing to send one with my next order since it had a tear.

blizzardscout2

So far only the torn foot one has died. Most of the rest look really good, a few are still suspect but haven't died yet. We shall see. Yesterday my Eshopps doser came in the mail so I set it up with the Aqua gadget magnet probe holder setup in the back to hold the dosing tubes, ATO tube, and my temp probe. I have a pH probe on the way that will go in it as well. The doser is extremely easy to setup. You basically put in how many ml you want to dose for a 24 hour period and how many cycles to dose it in, set the time and do the same for the other pump. Then you prime the tubes in manual mode and set the main clock, and that is it. It is really easy. If I want to dose more I can add a slave pump setup.

4F4CF2A3-35E3-4E2F-8E45-EE625F88F88C_zps

FTS from yesterday morning sun....

24AB2761-C717-408B-814B-6649C92D983F_zps

blizzardscout2

I love how convenient the doser is. I found that I wasn't dosing quite enough, so I push a few buttons, done! Test in a few days. With my schedule, this will make life soooo much easier. My ATO and Dosing reservoirs will be here soon as I am just using the solution bottles for now.

• 1 month later...
blizzardscout2

Hi Christopher, it is doing pretty good. Always a struggle with algae growth but it is manageable. I lost one of the RFAs within 6 hrs of receiving the order from Rare reef which they will replace with my next order. I also lost another a day later. However the rest of them are doing great and are very beautiful. The doser at the smallest setting is still dosing too much alk so I am going to program to turn on the doser twice a week for a 24 hr period. Though honestly I could get away with just WC as I have always done. I just wanted to play around with it as I plan on upgrading to a much larger aquarium within the year that will require dosing. I will throw up an updated FTS tomorrow with a few anemone pictures. Thanks for asking.

• 1 month later...
blizzardscout2

Sorry I didn't get any pictures up. Life gets in the way often times. I do have an update, my LFS had a killer deal on their Red Sea Reefers, so I will be picking up a 34 gallon 170 a week from Friday. I'm pretty excited. ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
blizzardscout2

Well I am about to close the door on this thread. My Reefer 170 is setup and cycled and the majority of my stuff is moved over. I decided to run anemone less for my new setup as I hate seeing my fish eaten and I am trading for some frags tonight. Then I will be tearing down my Biocube and cleaning it up to give to a buddy for a freshwater tank for his daughter. It has been a great little aquarium and I have learned a tremendous amount of information, unfortunately through a lot of mistakes but mostly through the knowledgeable reefers I have observed and whose brains I picked over the years. Thank you and I look forward to another decade of reefing!

blizzardscout2

Thanks Christopher! I didn't really. My attention on the Red Sea Reefer and and work/kids/life led to a lot of algae and I didn't feel the need. I am going to start a new journal on the 170. Should be up next week. On a happy note my clownfish has made new friends in his new home without a hint of aggression from him or the others. :D

Archived