Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reese's Rimless 14g

blizzardscout2

blizzardscout2
tank looks good. what was the primative ato?

A TalkingRain bottle upside down filled with RO Water and a rubber band securing it to the back of the tank. It looked like it did its job quite well. I will continue doing this for the days I work or am gone for the weekend. Although I think I will make a cover to go over the back chambers and maybe design something to sit on the lid similar in design to this.

I planned on waiting a few months but I just couldnt help myself, I went ahead and bought a Tunze Nano skimmer. I have heard a lot of good things about it, so hopefully it lives up to the hype. Should have it within a week or so. :D I am sure my new SPS will thank me for it!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are those vids? I want to see them. I am going to Cozumel in Feb, where did you go diving?

Does it then just drip in?

(sorry don't mean to threadjack, just trying to understand).

In theory the air pumps into a sealed container and the air pressure forces the water up the hose into the tank. I will be setting one of these up at my work. Be sure to have some sort of check valve so the water cannot siphon into or out of the tank when the pump is off.

Where are those vids? I want to see them. I am going to Cozumel in Feb, where did you go diving?

In theory the air pumps into a sealed container and the air pressure forces the water up the hose into the tank. I will be setting one of these up at my work. Be sure to have some sort of check valve so the water cannot siphon into or out of the tank when the pump is off.

I think he was talking about the one blizzard mentioned; not the air pump one. And as long as the water is dripping out of the hose and into your tank, rather than sticking the hose under or on the surface of the water, you won't have to worry about it siphoning back in.

okay, so it's more of a drip top off. you just have to calculate the drip rate.

lol sorry about that. If it the drip kind, I thought you have the end barely under water and when the water drops below the end it drips in untill its topped off again.

blizzardscout2
Have you tried the battery powered air pump ATO yet? Thats what I have running in my system. Works like a champ.

I have thought about doing something like that since I have the room in my tank stand, but I am worried about the worse case scenario happening, so I am going for simplicity instead.

Does it then just drip in?

(sorry don't mean to threadjack, just trying to understand).

Just think of it like a water cooler at businesses (the large plastic jugs upside down), when the water level gets below the opening water drops in until the level reaches passes the opening again. It isnt a lot of water in a small water bottle, but enough to keep my tank more consistent day to day.

I did get some cool video footage of a nurse shark and sea turtle eating. I went diving at a few different sites: Palancar Gardens, Palancar Caves, Palancar Bricks, Santa Rosa Wall, Tormentos, BlancoVilla, Paradise Reef, Chakanaab Reef, Columbia Deep and Shallow. My favorite spots were probably Columbia and Tormentos. I will do it next time I go, but I have heard Punta Sur Devils Throat is pretty sweet dive, a cave you enter at 80ft and you pop out on a wall at 120ft which you have a chance of seeing pelagic life before it can scatter. I strongly suggest doing a night dive as well. Plus look into diving the Cenotes on the mainland, I have heard they are very cool.

I have thought about doing something like that since I have the room in my tank stand, but I am worried about the worse case scenario happening, so I am going for simplicity instead.

worst case scenario like what? I built mine just for vacations and so I only used one float switch (no safety shut off). I realized how much I liked it being automated and now it runs 24/7. I used just a small 2 liter bottle which lasts about 4-5 days. Even if that switch gets stuck on... not much water will be left to overfill the tank anyway. I'm sure the salinity drop wouldn't be TOO significant. Once again, IF that happens..

blizzardscout2
worst case scenario like what? I built mine just for vacations and so I only used one float switch (no safety shut off). I realized how much I liked it being automated and now it runs 24/7. I used just a small 2 liter bottle which lasts about 4-5 days. Even if that switch gets stuck on... not much water will be left to overfill the tank anyway. I'm sure the salinity drop wouldn't be TOO significant. Once again, IF that happens..

I suppose that is true. A 2 liter wouldnt be too bad. I have heard of Float switchs turning on and not turning off flooding the room and killing the fish and coral. Maybe that wouldnt be bad, did you buy a package float switch system?

I suppose that is true. A 2 liter wouldnt be too bad. I have heard of Float switchs turning on and not turning off flooding the room and killing the fish and coral. Maybe that wouldnt be bad, did you buy a package float switch system?

Im off to work now bro, but ill post the thread I used and more specific instructions later. It will take you less than 20 minutes to make and less than 15 bucks.

Also, if you use 2 switches (I didn't but plan to in the future) you shouldn't have to worry about it EVER failing. If one gets stuck, the one above it will open the circuit and shut the air pump off.

blizzardscout2
Im off to work now bro, but ill post the thread I used and more specific instructions later. It will take you less than 20 minutes to make and less than 15 bucks.

Also, if you use 2 switches (I didn't but plan to in the future) you shouldn't have to worry about it EVER failing. If one gets stuck, the one above it will open the circuit and shut the air pump off.

I am at work. :lol: Yeah I would like to see that. A back up switch would be nice.

That was my plan for my home tank. I ended up putting a float in the bucket for a backup and if the water gets too low the pump wont run dry. I will probably still put a second on in my tank eventually. I was going to use a gallon jug at my office with 2 floats and an air pump.

Just think of it like a water cooler at businesses (the large plastic jugs upside down), when the water level gets below the opening water drops in until the level reaches passes the opening again. It isnt a lot of water in a small water bottle, but enough to keep my tank more consistent day to day.

Sorry to be slow, but wouldn't the water mix or the salinity balance out? lol maybe a pic would help xD

blizzardscout2
Sorry to be slow, but wouldn't the water mix or the salinity balance out? lol maybe a pic would help xD

I just have a lot of evaporation everyday due to my Metal Halide Sunpod, which requires replacing the evaporated water. The closer you keep your tank to consistent levels the healthier it is.

Actually there was a good thread somewhere around here with the exact same ATO on it and he did extensive testing. The salt water is heavier than fresh so it does not go up the tube to the RO water so they do not mix until the level goes down enough and RO drips out into the saltwater.

blizzardscout2
Actually there was a good thread somewhere around here with the exact same ATO on it and he did extensive testing. The salt water is heavier than fresh so it does not go up the tube to the RO water so they do not mix until the level goes down enough and RO drips out into the saltwater.

I misunderstood the question I guess. Yeah that is what I was going for, I will post a pic later.

Not a bad little setup, that could easily fit under my tank stand. I will have to consider that. Thanks norcal.

No problem. I just mounted it in my stand today in fact.

blizzardscout2

I guess the Leathers wax up when they are growing, so no reason to be worried. I guess I am doing something right! :) I am excited today because my skimmer is supposed to arrive. Except I wont be able to enjoy until tomorrow because of work. :mellow: I probably wont be able to put it in until Saturday night because I will be at the University of Washington football game vs Idaho, boy am I glad it is football season! I have a few cellphone pics I will throw up later on today.

blizzardscout2

I have almost rid my tank of cyano with help from my snail friends, but now I am combating the green hair algae. I am sure it is nothing a skimmer and a lot of WCs cant fix.

Archived