Cultivated Reef

Reese's Rimless 14g

blizzardscout2

blizzardscout2

Hi everyone,

I started this tank back in October of 2008. I have had lots of trials while trying my hand at keeping a reef and have learned a lot about this hobby. I hope to someday reach the excellence that some of the fellow reefers on this forum have accomplished. Thank you to those who have helped me whether you knew it or not by contributing your experiences for all to learn from.

Equipment:
Biocube 14 with RIO 600 Return
Overflow mod
ATO w/ 3 gallon resevoir
Kessil A350 w/ Goosneck
Vortech MP10
Innovative Marine Desktop Skimmer
Neptune Apex Jr (no display version)

Neptune Apex Classic
Refractometer

SWC Mini Hot Skimmer Doesn't fit with Kessil AND TOO BIG
Koralia Nano Replaced 2012
Koralia 1 Replaced 2012
50w Finnex LED Heater Replaced 2012
70w Sunpod w/ Ushio 20k bulb Replaced 2012
Tunze Nano Skimmer Motor failure 2011

Fish:
False Percula

Inverts:
TONS of Starfish
Several Mini Maxi, Flower, and Mini Carpet Anemones

Corals:
Leather Coral
Green, Orange, Blue Mushrooms
Hairy Green Mushrooms
Green Zoas

Reese

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
blizzardscout2
sweet tank, are you using the stock lighting?

Thanks, I have the upgrade to 72w which I thought made a big difference. I would rather have bought MH lighting for it, but my girlfriend liked the "sleekness" of the tank. Serves me for letting her help decide! ;)

• 4 months later...

Wow, I would have vomited if my tank looked like that then crashed. I admire you for sticking with it. Most people would have given up and sold everything... then regreted it lol. Despite the quality of the pic, it is looking good so far.

• 3 weeks later...
blizzardscout2

Finally the cyano bacteria is calming down a bit after lots of brushing of the rocks to remove it, plus wc and filter floss changes. And I have found clove polyps growing back which were all dead. Hopefully I am surprised by a few other corals that come back. I have a few new additions including a 16.5" Sunpod 70w fixture which I wish I had bought in the first place instead of the Nanocustom upgrade because I love the shimmering effect of MHs. I just got it today so hopefully the fiancée will welcome it since I didn't tell her. :lol: Now I just need the Actinc LED add-on from evil and I am set. I will post new pics later.

blizzardscout2
Wow, I would have vomited if my tank looked like that then crashed. I admire you for sticking with it. Most people would have given up and sold everything... then regreted it lol. Despite the quality of the pic, it is looking good so far.

yeah I wasn't too happy about it, a lot of coral and shrimp gone, plus my yasha goby. Atleast now it is looking like there is some life in there now. My maze had 66% die off but now is looking very healthy. Same with my zoas and palys, and my ric has split since I got the sunpod, although the bulb isnt dependable. I have a new 10,000k ushio bulb on the way for max coral growth.

blizzardscout2

Well I finished more or less cleaning up the silicone. Here is an FTS of my new and improved Biocube 14.

IMG_1393.jpg

I think it looks awesome! It looks really good at night too with the moonlight LEDs. I look forward to what corals I can keep and the coral growths that I will find. I have already seen a difference, my Ric split only after a few days with the Sunpod. :D

Do you have someone that can do your top-offs? Other than that your tank looks like it needs to go a week without food with all that cyano.

blizzardscout2
Do you have someone that can do your top-offs? Other than that your tank looks like it needs to go a week without food with all that cyano.

The plan was to have someone check on it every couple of days for top-offs. That isnt a bad idea and trust me the cyano is at 30% of where it used to be. Shouldn't I be worried about the fish?

Leave somone with a gallon of ro for top off's.

Other than that. Your fish will be fine. Out in the wild they would have to forage for food & could go hungry for days at a time.

I would also cut an hour or 2 of light time during your vacation. It will help with evap.

Leave somone with a gallon of ro for top off's.

Other than that. Your fish will be fine. Out in the wild they would have to forage for food & could go hungry for days at a time.

I would also cut an hour or 2 of light time during your vacation. It will help with evap.

I didnt think of that but taking an hour or two off would be a smart idea

blizzardscout2

That is a good idea. I will do that then. Cut back on time of lights and I will only have them feed once with a premixed amount in the fridge. I did tryout an experiment with a primitive ATO I place last night. I am at work now so I wont know how it worked until tomorrow. Just a water bottle filled and upside down with rubber bands securing it in place. :happy:

blizzardscout2

I'm in Cozumel! The tank is set up for success so hopefully it will look the same as when I get back. I go diving tomorrow so hopefully I willsee something new!

• 2 weeks later...
blizzardscout2

I am back after a week in Cozumel and my tank looks even better than when I left, except for a little bit of hair algae growth, but the cyano algae has definitely died off quite a bit. All of my Zoas look 10x better than when I left as well as my Leather, my Acans, and my Rics. :happy: And today I am off to my LFS to pick up my new Ushio 10k bulb and maybe a new coral? We shall see...

I enjoyed my trip to Cozumel, I got to see a lot of awesome coral formations and lots of different sealife. I shot some video of some of the dives which included a 6ft Nurse shark! Plus I found an anemone filled with at least a 100 Sexy shrimp! That was pretty cool to find them in the wild, I just wish I could have brought a few back with me. ;)

blizzardscout2
lucky bastard. Your tank looked beautiful before man. Good luck with the current one.

:D

Thanks, it is doing good so far. I just installed the new bulb and I also added 20 snails since I did not have any. Plus I did add a new coral addition, a Bali Green slimer frag, my first SPS. I will add a few pictures later on. The light is definitely brighter and a little yellow, but as soon as I add evil's actinic LED addon it will look awesome.

Archived