ReefCleaners.org

HalfPint's Photos

halfpint

Well, mine is plenty large enough. After reading about the not yet released 200-400mm f/4L IS with built-in 1.4x extender.

I can't wait to see how much it's going to cost. :eek:

Thanks for the kind words.

What areas does anyone see that I need to focus on improving?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Can anyone make any suggestions as where my photography needs improvement?

I just don't feel my images are as good as I'd like them to be.

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone make any suggestions as where my photography needs improvement?

I just don't feel my images are as good as I'd like them to be.

I think your lens is defective

you need to send it to me for testing

jk

Your shots are awesome. Perhaps it is your post processing skills that need improvement. This is where I started to make pictures look like I wanted to please myself. Every shot I have posted recently was made to look the way I wanted it to please myself. Some will appreciate it and some wont. Some subjects just don't interest some people.

all of this stuff about out of camera shots is crazy to me with digital. Why should some engineer determine how my pictures look instead of me? My goal is to capture the maximum amount of good data I can out of an exposure and then make it look like something I like to look at.

The settings in the camera are changing the picture in exactly the same way post processing does.

Thanks. I agree that my post has room for improvement. I just got PS, so I hope to get back into the swing of things with it. Haven't had it since CS1. I just need to get it installed.

I've been using iPhoto thus far, so minimal editing. No retouch, layers, or fine-tune adj to sharpness and color. Just basic curves and saturation thus far.

Being a person of low moral character and excellent technical skills I have both PS CS3 and LR3

I never open PS anymore.

What caught me off guard was sharpening. I guess the XSi does it for you. I thought the 7D Pictures looked awful until I started hammering the sharpening sliders. In that body using a neutral setting gives a very bland image out of the camera.

Here's an example of me trying PS for the first time in 4 years.

Wyatt.jpg

It will take me a while to get back into the swing of things with editing.

Here's the original:

WyattOriginal.jpg

I think you missed my point.

I was not suggesting your pics need more sharpening and I don't really consider post processing as editing though I understand it actually is. Cropping for example is clearly editing. The other qualities however like brightness, white balance, contrast, saturation, sharpening and noise reduction can all be done in the camera. But I prefer to do them later.

A good example are birds that have both black and white feathers. It is very difficult to evoke maximum detail in both areas with a single in camera setting. I am not that good and probably never will be.

for example

_MG_1648.jpg

What I do in LR will not make a bad shot a good one but is does allow me to maximize what was captured by the sensor to maximum effect.

You said you weren't happy with your shots. I was suggesting you try and evoke what you think is missing in post processing.

I think you missed my point.

_MG_1650.jpg

This summer I saw a snake with a chic-a-dee in it's mouth, I tried to save the bird, rather than get my camera. I still kick my ass on that one!

Ah, so I did miss your point. I re-read your posts, and I think I understand your point clearly now. You're doing less in post and more with in-camera settings than the average Joe, right? You're using the cameras processor to handle your sharpness and other parameters, instead of mostly being handled in post. That's what I got from it.

Do you shoot in RAW or JPG? I've been shooting in RAW for years, and although my camera does have color profiles, I don't generally use the custom profiles. I get my composition right, then tweak the params in post.

Looking at my last picture closer, I can see that the baby's skin is a bit green/yellow.

Unlike the way it is IRL.

Went to Little Talbot Island. Took photos.

First time trying my hand at HDR:

6342336245_0a67372137_b.jpg

Rocky HDR by Jake_Brake, on Flickr

6343085282_3079fe33f9_b.jpg

Driftwood Waves by Jake_Brake, on Flickr

...and the rest:

6342333891_6cdbb17f0f_b.jpg

Backlit Trees by Jake_Brake, on Flickr

6342334565_5a7c9fc727_b.jpg

Driftwood Grain by Jake_Brake, on Flickr

6343090156_645e4fae0e_b.jpg

Beach Bottle by Jake_Brake, on Flickr

6342342145_6024be15bc_b.jpg

Driftwood Shoreline by Jake_Brake, on Flickr

6342343075_974d548fed_b.jpg

Sandy Shore by Jake_Brake, on Flickr

I found a jellyfish in a little tidepool. The tide was coming in, so I think he was going to be fine.

6343087694_828202aea2_b.jpg

Jellyfish by Jake_Brake, on Flickr

I love 55, as well. I also LOVE puppet warp. I used it to straighten the horizon in that one. :P

57 is nearly a 100% crop. Jellyfish was some 15 yards away I think. That was at 320mm equivalent. Lol

• 2 months later...

Nice!

I'm just catching up... but yeah, post is IMO primarily what separates good photographers from excellent photographers. I'm struggling with it too. I feel like I'm in a rut and not really getting any better. It's frustrating. When you see a truly excellent photo from someone online, if you can manage to have them show you the original you might be shocked at the difference.

Thanks!

I am going to try to take a couple classes over the summer to try to sharpen my post skills. I know that is my Achilles heel. It's starting to warm up outside here, and it's making me want to go out on a shooting expedition.

Nice!

I'm just catching up... but yeah, post is IMO primarily what separates good photographers from excellent photographers. I'm struggling with it too. I feel like I'm in a rut and not really getting any better. It's frustrating. When you see a truly excellent photo from someone online, if you can manage to have them show you the original you might be shocked at the difference.

This is one thing I hate... You have a little screen on the back of the camera and people wanna see what you shot. I've learned to tell them it has to be developed before they can see it. It's not a Polaroid or an Iphone.

This is one thing I hate... You have a little screen on the back of the camera and people wanna see what you shot. I've learned to tell them it has to be developed before they can see it. It's not a Polaroid or an Iphone.

it is a condition of society these days to be impatient. i want exactly what i want and i wanted it five minutes ago. nice pics, keep up the good work!

True story. The only person who gets to look at my on camera screen is me. Make it a rule, and nobody asks to see it anymore.

Yes, I have to agree that it gets old having your model asking to see the camera for approval on every shot. I usually play it off by saying something along the lines of, "I don't want to spoil the surprise by letting you see them now."

Yep, plus they won't understand that because you're shooting in RAW it's going to look flat and bland no matter how good you are as a photographer.

Good point. RAW shots unedited many times look washed out, making the rubberneckers think their P+S does a better job. :P

• 5 months later...

Just got a Canon 60D, grip, and some other supplies for shooting wedding video. I'm already in love with this camera. Amazing high ISO performance, compared to my 450D I've been using for 4 years.

These are all shot with the 60D.

7579083506_0352a6cec6_b.jpg

Rust by Jake_Brake, on Flickr

7579081410_4c10d03606_b.jpg

Fly on Flower by Jake_Brake, on Flickr

7579078972_6a20edd3a9_b.jpg

Spider by Jake_Brake, on Flickr

Archived