Innovative Marine Aquariums

MGDMIRAGE's 5.5 Gallon.

MGDMIRAGE

I have three Astraea Conehead Snails that take care of all my algea.....otherwise you could try to manually remove it.

Yeah i'm gonna try and vacuum as much of it out as i can.. I have one Astrea(my favorite so far)but he doesn't seem to touch this stuff. My Ceriths won't touch it either, looks like super dark green hair algae. It has the bubbles in it that some online resources say means that it's getting starved out and dying, BUT it's still growing so i dunno what to do. I do 2-2.5 gallon RO water changes per week everything reads zero except trates are roughly 10ppm. I don't have a phosphate kit though :(

Got my YWG a Tiger pistol shrimp today, i'd take a pic but the shrimp dissapeared in the substrate in like 1/2 a second. I'll take a pic soon as hes used to his environment. My YWG seems to know something is up eventhough he hasn't even seen the shrimp yet. Hes hovering over the spot the shrimp went and is inspecting.

I like the tank man....and the Zoos are pretty badass.

Thank you!

Oh and don't ever put a pistol shrimp into a nano btw it was a horrible idea. He destroyed my tank and buried half my frags lol. Came home to a total disaster, trying to figure out how to clean it all up, i uncovered all the frags and moved them for the time being. Damn shrimp never stops digging!

jtricer1973

Damn pistol shrimp! LOL! You must have got a big one. I just added a Tamiyama goby and a small Randals pistol shrimp to my 5 gallon bow front. They both hauled ass to the back of my tank, dug in, and now you hardly ever see them! What a waste of my money.

Anyway, I like your ghetto'd reef stuff. I think thats real cool. I have been thinking of turning my little 2.5 AGA into a fuge setup behind my 5 gal bow and couldn't decide how I would do it. I think I will steal some of your ideas. Do you ever have a problem losing siphon on you siphon tube? Also, why use the HOB filter at all? Could you just have run your tubing back into the tank? I guess what I am getting at is what exactly is the purpose of the HOB now?

My skeleton hermits eat lots of diff types of algae, they might be the hermit for you, they are brown with cream bone looking markings.

Damn pistol shrimp! LOL! You must have got a big one. I just added a Tamiyama goby and a small Randals pistol shrimp to my 5 gallon bow front. They both hauled ass to the back of my tank, dug in, and now you hardly ever see them! What a waste of my money.

Anyway, I like your ghetto'd reef stuff. I think thats real cool. I have been thinking of turning my little 2.5 AGA into a fuge setup behind my 5 gal bow and couldn't decide how I would do it. I think I will steal some of your ideas. Do you ever have a problem losing siphon on you siphon tube? Also, why use the HOB filter at all? Could you just have run your tubing back into the tank? I guess what I am getting at is what exactly is the purpose of the HOB now?

Yeah i'm kinda sorry i got the pistol shrimp now. I rarely see him or the fish anymore. I shoulda spent my money on a nova light fixture instead lol.

Originally i just had a u tube flowing into the fuge but i soon noticed it wasn't providing any surface agitation and i was getting a film on top of the water. So i then switched my setup the other way around and had the hob taking water from the display and spitting it into the fuge from a hob. This method seems to work great i have surface agitation in the fuge and no more film building up.. I have two hobs now the one in the display is mostly for flow and the heater is in it. I run purigen in the big one in the display and i run phoshate pads in the small one on the fuge. I haven't had any problems losing siphon on the tube and its been running for over two months now. I've also switched to an overflow box U-tube and i like it much more.

How do you keep your fuge from over filling/running too low?

The fuge is level with the display so a natural siphon does the work for me, if the power goes out both the display and fuge will level off. The siphon tube is about a inch and a half in diameter so it keeps up with the hob just fine.

Bunch of pics, the new fish and shrimp.

Blue Berry!

Blueberry.jpg

Kermy and his new pal!

Kermyandshrimpy.jpg

Kermy2.jpg

Kermy1.jpg

Zoo Pics!

zoo1.jpg

zoo2.jpg

zoo3.jpg

zoo4.jpg

zoo5.jpg

FTS for 4/28/09

FTS4-28-09.jpg

Camera totally doesn't pick up colors very well :( gsp looks brown in pics. damsel looks light blue when he is VERY dark.

MGDMIRAGE
this is a really nice little tank :happy:

love the GSP colony too.

keep it up!

Thanks!

I have three regrets with this tank: wasted money on PC lights instead of getting a Nova fixture, wish i would have done the AC70/110 fuge mod, and i used crushed coral instead of aragonite. I hope to remedy all of those in the future.

My gsp is showing a lot of growth lately, as if it wasn't big enough already lol. It just started growing on one of the rocks holding it up. It won't be long before the whole bridge bottom and top are one big GSP field, which is what i wanted in the first place anyway :)

MGDMIRAGE
So 2 fish is ok then??? I wanna go yellowtail damsel and citron goby

Well i WAS just going to do a YWG but he was sooooooo boring i added the yellowtail, and i wish i would have just gotten him in the first place. Bioload wise i'm pushing it pretty hard with two fish, but i also have a 2 gallon fuge. Eventually i will move the YWG and pistol shrimp to my 20 gallon with my clown. I would only do two tiny fish in a 5.5. Fish with a max size of 1-1.5" would be ideal. Both the fish i have in mine will reach 3"+ each so both will outgrow this tank eventually.

Those pistol shrimp are workers, they move sand all the live long day! Maybe one of those nifty magnet frag racks would be a good idea to get them up out of the sand until you get them fixed to some rock.

Those pistol shrimp are workers, they move sand all the live long day! Maybe one of those nifty magnet frag racks would be a good idea to get them up out of the sand until you get them fixed to some rock.

Not a bad idea at all :) i woke up this morning to my yuma burried :angry:

I just had to come check out your tank....and I LOVE it! It looks great! It looks bigger than a 5.5! You take really great photos too! I wish I could get some nice macro shots.

I just had to come check out your tank....and I LOVE it! It looks great! It looks bigger than a 5.5! You take really great photos too! I wish I could get some nice macro shots.

Thanks for the kind words Gena!

I hope my tank will look as nice as yours someday :) As far as pics go i try! it's a cheap $70 dollar 10MP camera so it takes me probably 10 pics to get a nice one :( Tax time i plan on buying a new SLR I can't wait.

• 2 months later...

This tank is long since dead, it's all in the 20L now, kermy is alive and well so is his bastard shrimp lover.

I have another nano project in the werks though! soon i shall unveil.

• 11 months later...
redkneecoral

i really like reading your thread, i love what you have done.

Didn't know you could put a pistol with a YWG. Will the pistol eat my sexies

Archived