ReefCleaners.org

Red sea mimic blenny

vike50brian

My only concern would be that then all your fish would be concentrated in and around the sand bed. Nothing in the wide open water column.

vike50brian

Lutra Posted Yesterday, 09:52 AM

My only concern would be that then all your fish would be concentrated in and around the sand bed. Nothing in the wide open water column.

Lutra, I thought that might be a problem considering my yellow watchmen seems to be a mean little cuss when protecting his shrimp. But, I've observed a mimic blenny at my LFS for about a year now (he's in a display tank and not for sale) and he is rarely on the sand. He is usually perched on the rocks about half way up and uses the rocks as dart holes. This may vary from fish to fish but from what i've seen I think it will be ok. Also, once I have the blenny awhile I think I will get either a pair of firefish or a pair of BW clowns, both of which prefer the water column.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
SquishyFishy

I'd like to continue this thread....I want one! If I can save enough money to get it!!!! Does anyone out there own one of these cuties!?

I want info. How long can you keep 'em. They are so expensive it wouldn't pay to get one if I can't keep it a long time.

They are really nice looking. I have been keeping an eye our for the regular fang version but haven't found one locally yet.

SquishyFishy

Yes, I'd take the Fang also. Dr. Smith and Foster catalogue and Live Aquaria has the Mimics but at $119 for a small one, is rather steep. It killed me when I lost my $40 Gramma couple weeks ago to ich :( I can imagine losing one that cost that much. Would be devistating! But they are so pretty. And I bet so much fun. Now I have my QT set up and will be ready to begin with a new fish again in another month after the DT has rested.

Wish someone on here could show us pics and speak about their experience with Mimics.

Yes, I'd take the Fang also. Dr. Smith and Foster catalogue and Live Aquaria has the Mimics but at $119 for a small one, is rather steep. It killed me when I lost my $40 Gramma couple weeks ago to ich :( I can imagine losing one that cost that much. Would be devistating! But they are so pretty. And I bet so much fun. Now I have my QT set up and will be ready to begin with a new fish again in another month after the DT has rested.

Wish someone on here could show us pics and speak about their experience with Mimics.

The fangs are only $12 :)

The mimic is probably similar to other combtooth blennies in terms of personality. Whenever I buy a expensive fish.... I just have to accept that it could die any time. Don't even need a reason... fish just disappear randomly sometimes. Blenny's like to murder themselves by swimming into powerheads. Every few months a post shows up about a blenny getting blendered. So far my midas has not tried to perch inside my mp10, thinking maybe it is because I gave him a large barnacle which is more enticing? not sure.

The fang may be a better bet if $40 was painful.

Thankfully my little sailfin blenny never goes near my Mp10. Granted anytime he is in the open and the tomini spots him, the tomini chases him back into the rocks. Don't get why the tomini cares so much about a tiny little fish.

Archived