Top Shelf Aquatics

Gulf's AP24

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

Got some awsome additions today. I picked up a nice acan frag along with 50+african blues or other wise know as blue hornets, and a single lunar eclipse polyp. I can't wait for that thing to grow out, I'll try to get some tank shots later on. I also ordered a 36" t-5 nova slr from doctor fosters and smith along with a couple better bulbs. I guess I'm thinking of seting up the 40 after all and getting rid of this tank after I set that up.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

I went back to the new place today to see what was all left over from the grand opening yesterday and one of the owners asked if I wanted to take home a free blenny he caught offshore. I did a search on them and found it to be a tessallated blenny of the gulf of mexico. They are really cool little fish with lots of orange spots and a blue hue in it's pigment. A pretty interesting little fish not very much seen in the hobby I imagine. I think I will set up a small 10g set up for him and just snag some rock out of this tank along with some water and just do a 10g water replacement into my ap. I am still having some trouble getting pics out at the moment but when I am able to I will definatley post a pic of him here.

gulfsurfer101

Looks like it time to frag some frags from my atl ultimate rainbow and I'll be making a couple frags of those african blue's (blue hornets), and offer them up here on the classifieds soon. My raibow has tottally encrusted over the lr and I think it won't be getting the light it needs to grow any further under there. The blues are just me getting a good score and wanting to share with some folks who are just as stoked about getting their hands on some good stuff. Got my dremel charging as I write this.

gulfsurfer101

New acan frags I picked up for a really good price.

Copyofnewshiznit003.jpg

Copyofnewshiznit001.jpg

I'll be fragging some of this this weekend

Copyofnewshiznit018.jpg

newshiznit024.jpg

I'll also be making a few frags of these african blue's

newshiznit026.jpg

Here's the latest fts

newshiznit002.jpg

gulfsurfer101

So I just made three healty frags of my rainbow monti along with three frags of the african blue's. Each frag has about 5+ heads on it and the rainbow monti's are all at least 1''X1", two with some intersting growth patterns covering the entire frag disk. I'm also planning a move here this weekend on through next week and I'll finally be able to set up the 40br that has been sitting naked in my room for 3mo now. I'm excited aobut that and am expecting my nova extreme slr for this this tank tommorrow. I ordered the super actinic bulb for this light but I still don't know which other bulb I want to add to the light. It will be strictly for actinic suplementation since the 250w I am running over this tank will be my main lighting over that tank. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

gulfsurfer101

Pics of the frags I made. The two on the ends were taken from under the colony and weren't getting enough light I thought. Kinda hard to imagine running a 250w mh over such a small tank. These should color up nicely with shades of blue, yellow, green and red. I'm selling these for a bag of sand to set up my 40br at my new place this week.

newshiznit002-1.jpg

newshiznit006.jpg

Nice schtuff! keep me in mind when ya ready to sell the rainbow monti fragz...I have been looking for some ;)

tank looks great!!

gulfsurfer101

Gto2envy, I have a frag ready for you whenever your ready for it, juzzend me that skimmer. I shure could use that skimmer since my turboflotor will going to my 40br at the end of the month. I will want to restart this tank with new rock and all new fish, basically just new tank and everything in this tank will be an instant 40br.

I got good news today, I just barely noticed that my MP20 has come back from ecotech after sufferring water damage. Naturally that would void all warranty but Mr. King over there at customer service went out of his way and had it repaired for me anyways. Five stars to those guys up there at eco tech for being such cool guys.

gulfsurfer101

Well I ordered a nova extreme slr 36" for actininc suplementation on my 40br that I'm going to be setting up at my newest location, and it was lost in the mail. It had sat in San Antonio for five days now and when I contacted them they said they have no record of it ever entering their facility. I was a bit ticked but I contacted the good doctors foster and smith and they are shipping another one out tommorrow and should be here overnight on friday. I love those guys.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The dendros are just about the onlythings still hanging on along with a few zoas and the fish after moving everything to my 40br. I'm battling super sick slime bubble aglea and all the evil forces a fish follower can shake a stick at. I lost all of my sps including the huge rainbow monti and all other high priced monti's. I will try to turn things around this weekend but if it doesn't improve soon I might just give up the whole thing and sell everything off. I'm totally fustrated with this hobby right now and am finding less and less time for it.

• 3 months later...
The dendros are just about the onlythings still hanging on along with a few zoas and the fish after moving everything to my 40br. I'm battling super sick slime bubble aglea and all the evil forces a fish follower can shake a stick at. I lost all of my sps including the huge rainbow monti and all other high priced monti's. I will try to turn things around this weekend but if it doesn't improve soon I might just give up the whole thing and sell everything off. I'm totally fustrated with this hobby right now and am finding less and less time for it.

Don't give up man. I was the same way myself but I ended up turning it around and getting to a great spot now. You should read through my thread. It'll tell you what happened.

• 1 month later...
gulfsurfer101

Looking back on this tank makes me wish I never decided to tear it down and to set up my 40br. It's been a headache from the start. The first week I had it set up I started to loose all my sps coral, in the first month the return line busted twice flooding my living room both times. Luckily I have hardwood floors instead of carpet, that would have been smelly. Shortly after that my ballast blew out on my 250w mh I used over this tank and I was forced to downgrade to the finnex 150w with 24'' t-5's which I love by the way. I realized that my 40 has now been up at least five months now with out a single picture or hint of a new thread. I haven't time to even think about it lately. I'd love to get some shots of the new tank up along with some newer additions including a large tiger scoly and red scorpionfish. Thanks for the words of preserverance dexter1080, if it wasn't for the love I'd have sold this box of rocks to the lfs and been done with it this last time but I just can't seem to drop it.

• 2 weeks later...
gulfsurfer101

So I need to get a 40br thread up now that this tank has been history for months now. I think I might just skip it though since I'm seriusly thinking about tearing it down since I'm working out of town so much and the larger tank requires much more time than I have. I was also thinking of just getting rid of the 40br itself and keeping the stand and having a guy biuld me an acrylic tank with built in overflow and custom sump when I have more time. If there would be anything I would change it would just be to make the tank about 20"-24" tall instead of the 16" or 18" that the 40 is. Nothing a 250 I have sitting in the closet can't handle.

• 2 months later...
gulfsurfer101

More bad news for this tank. I just returned home from working out of town for two months and found the tank overtaken by red(cyano) algea. I guess it happens when you don't perform a water change for over a month. I truly just don't have time to do this at the moment and was lucky to have all fish still alive and swimming. I've been doing 5g water changes daily for the last three days, removed the infested sand and have been washing it out with the contaminated water and have chucked most of the algea coverd rock into the sump with no lighting what so ever. I only have about 10-15 pounds of lr in the main display. If it doesn't have light requiring inhabitants on it it's in the sump. Luckily most of the lps that was nearly fried during my easter vacation has made a healthy comeback and my zoas have look really good in the dirty water. I'm thin king of getting out of the hobby till I'm able to devote more time to it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
gulfsurfer101

The 40br was a constant disaster after another. I almost quit the hobby completely and should have but I decided to get back to my roots when I bought me this Finnex 30g M-tank and went back to an AIO. This is by far the Best AIO I have seen designed. The overflow was set up for a wet dry rack but who needs that when you can fit an eshopps psk 75h skimmerback there. It overflows into a middle chamber where I set my ato floater and t's off to return to the main tank and into the fuge section.

Here it is. I like to think of it as the Aquamod

006.jpg

005-3.jpg

004-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

In it's infancy

Nikkispicsofkidsanddomino726.jpg

The blasto was sold to me as a 5 dollar mushroom polyp from some local mom and pop shop, It's sprouting new heads on all sides after changing out my unkown bulb for the pheonix 14k.

DSCI1046.jpg

I might start a thread but I jsut don't have lot's of time lately. I'll see how it goes from this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
gulfsurfer101

Damn, memory lane! This was by far my favorite tank. I wish I could find a nice used ap24 and drill the piss out it. I've always regretted tearing this one down. My 40br was so problematic that I took a nearly two year hiatus from reefing.

I mentioned setting up a 10g yesterday. Her response, "I already gave up my bedroom to fish tanks, no!!". She has a point..

• 10 months later...
gulfsurfer101

Looking back, if I could only find another ap24. First thing I'd do is tear out that back wall and drill it. I wish I would've hung on to this tank.

Archived