ReefCleaners.org

Ultimate LED guide

evilc66

dvsclownfish1

Evil I was wunderin if you saw the new article on r$$f bu!lder$ and what par 38 bulbs would work best for a 84" x 28" x24" tall if set up like this or if it would work at all. How many and what kind of par could I expect from this type of setup. Thanks.

does anyone know the size of rapidled stars? i am hoping to put 3 rows of 6 cree xp-g and xp-e stars on the nanotuners fluval heatsink in this layout:

rb cw rb cw rb cw

cw rb cw rb cw rb

rb cw rb cw rb cw

on the ends you have : RB ---> CW

CW ---> RB

RB ---> CW

IME one side ends up looking bluer than the other. anyone else have the same problem?

• 3 weeks later...

i read through several of the build threads which focus on the 3w leds. i was wondering if anyone has ever had experience with the following type of led?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-10W-Cool-White...#ht_3270wt_1270

i have it linked so as to include the readings they claim. this would be over a 10 gallon tank as far as depth. and it would be an array with a couple blues and whites. thanks

I've seen some single LED heatsinks being sold here and there that have a huge hole in the center of the heatsink. RapidLED for example.

This seems very unintuitive. That big hole is exactly where the LED is on the star, and that's where the heat is.

Right?

single_hs.jpg

I was just browsing dx and saw this. Maybe someone will be able to use it.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/universal-90w...n%20full%20view

It would work fine for running DC-input drivers like Buckpucks. Not good at all for direct driving LEDs.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I would like to make a heat sink that uses a piece of aluminum C-channel 22"x8" that I could either weld or bolt to a smaller real heat sink and use thermal glue. Would this be a good idea or totally bogus?

Would I be able to get an led light for a 24 gallon for under $100?

I'm also kind of curious if these leds for reef tanks are the same as indoor plant grow lights?

Appreciate any help you guys can give

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, same as plant lights.

A smaller heatsink does make sense when bolted directly to the back of thinner plate aluminum *if* it's driectly in back of LEDs.

Hello master Evilc66...I´m back!!!!! How are you? Finally...after almost a year...I posted the pictures of my reef with your lighting system....How can I include my post in you list of diy led fixtures????

Here is my link, I will post soon the lighting details. I hope you enjoy the results: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=283698

Hails from Brazil...

D.

• 2 weeks later...
daniel_sweden

Hello LED gurus!

This is a fantastic thread and forum!

I have one question. I have found this heat sink:

http://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Power-Suppl...95_106_114.html

I think that would be enough for 1 3W cree at 700mA?

Would if even be enough if I cut it in two pieces, so the height becomes 25mm? Then I could cool 2 3W cree from one of these.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

/Daniel

Ok I would like to make a heat sink that uses a piece of aluminum C-channel 22"x8" that I could either weld or bolt to a smaller real heat sink and use thermal glue. Would this be a good idea or totally bogus?

Depending on the size of the c-channel, how many LEDs, and the current they are run at, you can use just the c-channel as a heatsink. Typically, they rely on airflow from a fan to keep cool, but it's certainly an option.

Hello master Evilc66...I´m back!!!!! How are you? Finally...after almost a year...I posted the pictures of my reef with your lighting system....How can I include my post in you list of diy led fixtures????

Here is my link, I will post soon the lighting details. I hope you enjoy the results: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=283698

Hails from Brazil...

D.

Looks good. Just post a few pictures and a link in that thread, and I'll add it to the list on the first page.

Hello LED gurus!

This is a fantastic thread and forum!

I have one question. I have found this heat sink:

http://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Power-Suppl...95_106_114.html

I think that would be enough for 1 3W cree at 700mA?

Would if even be enough if I cut it in two pieces, so the height becomes 25mm? Then I could cool 2 3W cree from one of these.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

/Daniel

Even cut in half, that should be more than enough to run a single LED at 700mA.

Evil,

Thanks for the awesome guide. I learned alot but still have many questions. I have looked at the bridgelux LEDs as a less expensive alternative to CREE. With all the other disadvantages aside, can you tell me how their white 4500K, 6500K and 10,000K compare to the CREE cool white and neutral white? Is there a CREE version of the 10,000K? I have seen many threads where people get purely 10,000K as their their only white LED. What type of ratio of these white would you recommend getting if one were to choose this LED. I apologize if this has been asked before...couldn't find it in the thread.

Thanks,

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

I don't recommend getting anything over 6500K honestly, regardless of the manufacturer. Typically, you only see them from the Chinese manufacturers, and will wash out colors badly.

Color temperature is an odd measurement. There are a billion ways to make a color temperature, so even though they may claim to be the same as another LED, they most likely are not the same spectrally. Chinese manufacturers have a hard time getting whites right, and will typically have a green or slightly purple cast to them. That's not to say that other manufacturers like Cree and Lumileds don't have the same issues, but they are typically to a much lesser degree, and only visible on tighter lens angles (flashlight guys see this issues a lot more than we do).

So I have 2 Meanwell ELN-60-48D drivers running 12 white and 14 royal blue cree leds. I also have a dimmer I'm wiring in. (I'm doing some re-wiring at the moment to place the dimmer better.)

I'm just curious, could I run both divers off of the same 110v power cable and then re-calibrate the driver or do I need 110v to both?

Oh, I also need to wire in the 2 stock (Red Sea Max) fans as well (.12A).

Thoughts from the master?? (or any other masters out there?)

Thought I'd chip in with the project over here. I can't release all the details about how we're getting this kind of output or what chips we're using.. but.. I can post some teasers.

2011-11-23_00-25-44_700.jpg

shows the test board size. a center row of blue LEDs will be added later.

2011-11-23_00-26-06_174.jpg

2011-11-23_00-26-11_604.jpg

shows how thin the board is and why we DON'T need heat sinks.

2011-11-23_00-28-19_914.jpg

Shows how efficient the board is.. this is running off of a Makita battery... less than 750mA draw at 12VDC for the entire array.

2011-11-22_11-51-54_296.jpg

2011-11-22_11-51-32_863.jpg

In the test BioCUBE 29

2011-11-22_16-53-38_691.jpg

Before the dust settled from putting in the LR.. but you get the idea...

I don't recommend getting anything over 6500K honestly, regardless of the manufacturer. Typically, you only see them from the Chinese manufacturers, and will wash out colors badly.

Color temperature is an odd measurement. There are a billion ways to make a color temperature, so even though they may claim to be the same as another LED, they most likely are not the same spectrally. Chinese manufacturers have a hard time getting whites right, and will typically have a green or slightly purple cast to them. That's not to say that other manufacturers like Cree and Lumileds don't have the same issues, but they are typically to a much lesser degree, and only visible on tighter lens angles (flashlight guys see this issues a lot more than we do).

I second evil on this. Just I have a set of cree xr-e cool whites, meant to balance out the royal blues on my set up and it really washes out the color even when at their lowest current. I thought I wanted that temp for the growth, but I'll be dropping down to some neutral whites to see how this looks. I wish I could mix some various color/temp leds on the same string, but I'm pretty sure I've read that is a bad, bad thing...

huh nice find DHaut

maybe Im mistaken, but wouldnt these be a great solution for lighting in the Fluval Edge?

http://www.ledliquidatorsinc.com/MR16-LED-...9-Watt-Cree.php

You could just buy two and switch them out with the stocks. Blue would still need to be supplemented somehow but it seems like a good idea for all of those people looking for plug and play

Yeah these are yellow. Even if someone was to supplement with a significant amount of blue, it will still not produce a nice popping color

yea I guess 5300K is quite warm. still seems like these could be used somehow...

Edited by mmcguffi