Cultivated Reef

Is it Lawnmower Blenny Reef Safe?

Avengerx77

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know if Lawnmower blennies are reef safe. I have some SPS and soft corals and just wanted to double check if it is ok to add to my tank. I have a 30gl tank.

Thanks!!!

yes, but they're ugly and can get very big.

Hey LMB's are not ugly! They def have a face only a mom could love though! :D The one I had was my favorite fish. Unfortunately he starved in my 34G and would not eat? :angry:

spectrum82586

They are algae grazers but if that runs out you can train them to eat frozen food mine eats mysis now...one of the coolest fish in my aquarium. Also if you have aggressive tank-mates make sure the LMB gets a chance to get some food.

You can feed them sheets of nori when they run out of algae in the tank.

ha....in my tank my LMB will never run out of algae to eat....phosphates down, and water is fine. Still it grows!!

We love our "Bill" he is fun to watch and he eats anything that comes his way.

Okay, so I love my lawnmower, but our tank is far too small for him and my husband is oblivious to that fact (he suprised me with him on V-day, I'm mad at the lfs for selling the lawnmower to him). He's in a 12g nano cube. He's not on the huge side yet, but I know he will be eventually. What can I do to help him until we need to trade him out? Right now we alternate feeding formula 2, cyclopeeze, and DTs for the corals. I stuck an algae sheet in there last night, but can't really tell if a lot of nibbling was going on. He does seem to be quite active with picking at the algae on our rocks for the time being.

They are cool fish i have one in my 60 and it pecks at the glass and the rocks and will eat pellets and anything else i feed the tank.

Adolfo

I had a lawnmower blenny for 2 years until he was stolen by a tank-sitter :rant:

They are charming creatures with tons of personality. Yes, they're reef-safe. Oscar (that was his name) didn't like Nori, but he liked algae flakes meant for fish, and he loved those algae sinking wafers. The bonus is, what the fish doesn't eat, any snails and starfish will finish off. So that's what he ate when he ran out of algae. H was the cutest ever...I'd knock on the glass and he'd come out and beg like a puppy. (which is why the jerks stole him).

My LMB is named Jaba the Hutt. He is mean to other fish. Anything that sits on the bottom, like sand-sifting gobies get chased out of the tank. He got along fine with a fire fish and a Hector's goby. He is in a 75g with mostly LPS (euphyllia mostly), and some SPS and softies. I would say "reef safe" and a fish that is very useful to clean up algae.

I would not trade him for anything.

I like Jaba so much that as I am setting up a second tank (40b to propagate RBTAs), I had to get a second LMB (Jaba Jr.).

My wife hates the "ugly fish" but I think that of all my fish, Jaba has the most personality.

dsoz

I was asking about a lawnmower blenny here a little while ago. I was advised to watch him eat in the LFS, as they can often refuse to eat fish food. Well, I watched him and he had no problems eating fish food. I took him home and waited for him to clean all the algae out of my tank. No such luck - the little bugger wanted food handed to him on a silver platter!

After keeping him for 2 weeks, I decided that he just wasn't going to change from a flake eating fish to an algae eating fish and took him back. You might want to keep my story in mind if you're hoping your lawnmower blenny will take care of algae for you. :P

I want a LMB but currently have a scooter blenny in my Biocube 29 gallon. Think there will be any problems with a scooter blenny and a LMB confined to a 29 gallon? sorry for hi-jacking

• 5 years later...

I've got a 90 gallon mixed reef with a fairy Wrass, a mandarin, and a mated pair of snowflake clowns, along with a bit of an algea problem ?. This guy should be fine, right? Sorry for high jacking ?

Yes he should be fine. I had 2 at different times in my 55 both different personalities one terrorized the clown and the other was just a grumpy old man that would sit and watch us as much as we watched him.

I have a lawnmower in my reef. he's a big fatty. I bought him from a petco nearby after watching him munch on some nori in the tank.

Even when I rip the hair algae out to next to none available for him he does fine. I have noticed that he'll eat LRS Reef Frenzy, Cobalt Aquatics flake foods, and even NLS Marine Formula Pellets.

He's a big tease too. Every time I have my camera he hides but he always perches in the most awesome locations when I don't have it out.

Archived