ReefCleaners.org

Nuisance Algae Guide

johnmaloney

Hi John, did you refer to this when you say Enteromorpha?

I'm still looking for an ID on this algae. Grows in little tufts with a single holdfast

Grows on my back glass wall and on the frag racks and plugs. Has stayed away from the rocks.

20130205_181417.jpg

shaneandjohn

John, Thank you for the Quality service that you provide. I got my Order today and was very impressed. Perfect Packaging and it looks like 100% survival rate. Will you please enlighten us on the Algae in the Post above pictured by Metrokat. Is this indeed Enteromorpha? If that is what it is, what would you recommend as far as a CUC to eradicate this?

Hey John I was just wondering if you would be able to give me a little advice. I have been having an issue in my 30 gallon tank with a little bit of red cyano algae. I have a very very small bio load and I feed the tank very little, in fact less than I should be feeding (poor fish) I only see the cyano in the morning when my tank light first turns on. I run a split light cycle which consists of 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the afternoon. There is a period of 5 hours in the middle of the day where the lights are off and the tank gets very minimal amounts of natural sun light. when the second light cycle starts there is very little cyano at all. Any ideas for me? I just starting using a skimmer on the tank, should this help?

johnmaloney

Yes I think it is MetroKat. Hard to really tell, lots of branching greens, but it seems to have the same structure as some members of the genus, (some of which have single holdfasts). Most do have inconspicuos holdfasts though, and if the branches are not cylindrical it is probably a member of a different genus. In any event, normal clean up crew wouldn't eat it, you would need emeralds, sea hare, urchins, etc... something with cutting power if you go that route.

The skimmer should help. I would try siphoning off any cyano and some extra waste in the tank, maybe double the water change size to reduce nutrients. That should slow its growth and get it in check.

• 1 month later...
Blubbernaut

Hey, I have a question. I have a little bit of a lot of types of algae in my tank including GHA, Bryopsis, Lobophora, and green bubble for sure, and maybe but prolly not some Calothrix Cyano. Do you think an emerald crab would be able to take care of most of this? The thing is, my lfs doesn't sell any form of snail, just crabs, shrimp, and the occasional sand-sifting sea star. As far as my CUC, I have a ton of Stomatellas, a burrowing urchin that's out of the fight for a while, and 5 small-medium hermits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Pinishnogood

I believe I have Cladophoropsis algae. Can anyone confirm? I have two pictures to display. The first is a head on picture that is difficult to see. The second you can clearly see the outline of the algae, attached on the rock just above the open brain coral in the background. The original guide posted did not have too much information on the best solution for this, though an urchin sounds like a good bet. Any advice or ID confirmation is greatly appreciated guys!

Crap my phone rotated them one sec...

There we go.

post-78660-0-94637000-1369596676_thumb.jpg

post-78660-0-79462400-1369596689_thumb.jpg

post-78660-0-24743400-1369596897_thumb.jpg

post-78660-0-32070600-1369596910_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Any idea on what would eat this algae? IMAG0168_zps59e7057d.jpg

Turf algae like that will require an urchin to cut through, maybe an emerald crab, or a turbo depending on how coarse it is. Is it possible to treat it outside of the tank or is it widespread? These types tend to be slower growers is the good thing, unfortunately they are also persistent.

Bump. Anyone?

It is hard to see the algae in question. I see some bubbles on a rock, but can't tell if it is bubble algea, or cyano... Can you take a picture of the algae outside of the tank?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Is this thread still alive? I went on vacation and when I got back this stuff was everywhere. First thought was bryopsis but it looks too "radially symmetric" to me. Bryopsis fronds usually look flattened. This looks like a bunch of tiny green bottlebrushes.

http://imgur.com/l8GM7NK

johnmaloney

That is fuzzy caulerpa, caulerpa verticillata. Crabs eat it, blue legs or any hermits really and emerald crabs will eat it. You can also swirl it off the rock with a toothbrush.

Can I use that picture in the guide by any chance?

• Like 1

Great - thanks so much! I should have known since the roots spread just like some other varieties of caulerpa I've had to deal with.

Please feel free to use the picture! Hope it helps folks!

• Like 1
johnmaloney

It looks a lot different and is much smaller and finer then other caulerpa so it throws me off too. :) Thanks for the pic!

• 1 year later...

I used to have chaetomorpha in my fuge, but it bleached terribly fast I think it was too much light so i slowly removed it all day by day. Would that cause a good spike in phosphates?

Turf algae like that will require an urchin to cut through, maybe an emerald crab, or a turbo depending on how coarse it is. Is it possible to treat it outside of the tank or is it widespread? These types tend to be slower growers is the good thing, unfortunately they are also persistent.

It is hard to see the algae in question. I see some bubbles on a rock, but can't tell if it is bubble algea, or cyano... Can you take a picture of the algae outside of the tank?

LAWNMOWER BLENNY will eat the crap out of that

• 5 years later...

Hi John, can you ID this one? It's red and grows mainly on my seagrass, but it also grows on my Caulerpa and dead gorgonian skeleton. It's a really big problem. No matter how much I remove it, it grows back quickly. Do you know what it is, and if anything will eat it? Have you seen it growing on wild seagrass? 

Thanks!

2107946640_File_000(4).thumb.jpeg.d553284032c6163d4e0fd16f138957e1.jpeg

14 hours ago, msayler said:

This is giving me fits. Nothing seems to work on it. I'm having a hard time indentifing it. Any ideas?

It grows in mats on my sandbed and in clumps on my rock.

What is the texture like? I was thinking one of the Valoniacae. 

• Like 1