ReefCleaners.org

Nanobud's JBJ 28 gallon Nanocube HQI

Nanobuds

Hello reefers!!

I have had a 29 gallon Eclipse for five years. I wanted corals, so i upgraded to the 28 gallon nanocube. For christmas, i got the Nanocube HQI, and after a trip to Florida, i set up and transfered everything to my tank on January 3rd, 2009

Day 1:

1-3-09

post-41750-1234406500_thumb.jpg

FTS

11-3-11

DSC_0186.jpg

Fish

2 Ocellaris clowns

1 Blue-Yellow tail Blenny

1 Blue Damsel

1 Yellow Watchman Goby

Inverts

5 Hermits

1 Turbo snails

1 Nassasaurus snail

1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp

Corals

Zoas

Mushrooms

Hammer Coral

Blastos

Yellow Polyps

Green Star Polyps

Kenya Tree

Green Leather Coral

Yellow Polyps

Xenia

Equipment

Tank: JBJ 28 gallon Nanocube HQI

Lighting: 150watt HQI Metal Hailide

Filtration: Chemie-Pure Elite with Filter Floss

Top Offs: Home-made RO

Other: Glass Thermometer, Koralia pump

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Causes and Solutions of RSA

* Nutrients: Phosphates (PO 4 ), DOCs (Dissolved Organic Compounds), and nitrates (NO 3 ) are primary nutrient food sources for red and other slime algae.

o Phosphates (PO 4 ) are commonly introduced into aquariums by means of using unfiltered fresh tap water, and through many aquarium products that may contain higher than normal concentrations of this element, such as sea salt mixes, activated carbon, KH buffers, foods, and many other sources. Also, for established reef tanks the long-term use of kalkwasser precipitates phosphates out of the water, and these phosphate based compounds can settle on and in the live rock and substrate.

+ Solutions: Use RO/DI filtered make-up water, a high quality sea salt mix, and be aware of the elements contained in other common aquarium products you may be using. For solutions to problems that can arise from using kalkwasser, refer to The Fishline's Microalgae article.

# Solutions: Practice good aquarium maintenance care routines! This includes keeping the substrate clean, cutting back on feedings, regularly rinsing, rejuvenating or changing any type of filtering or adsorbing materials (such as filter flosses, cartridges, bio wheels, sponges and carbon), performing regular partial water changes, and for DOCs in particular, adding a protein skimmer (read reviews & compare prices). For those with systems that have been running for some time and use wet/dry trickle type filters, the bio media in them, especially bio balls, are real nitrate factories, and therefore should be carefully rinsed and cleaned periodically.

# Even though hermit crab and snails won't eat this type of algae, to help keep the aquarium bottom clean and tidy add some tank friendly algae/detritus eating hermit crabs, one or two true crabs, shrimps, or other good substrate sifting tank janitors, or a fish. Scott Michael recommends the Orange-Spotted Sleeper Goby (Valenciennia puellaris) as being the best.

# When adding live rock, take the time to cure it

thx for the help, i am going to do a water test later tonight and give you the results

i will also buy one of those solutions reccomened on those websites poopcola gave me

my xenya tree is splitting i think. it looks stressed and the stem growing off the side of it is getting separated farther and farther from the main trunk

yep the first pic is the mean clown. i still havent caught her!!! :rant:

she knows a net or trap when she sees one

you try hook line and sinker? (aka a fishing pole.)

you try hook line and sinker? (aka a fishing pole.)

nope. good idea, i love fishing!

Looking good!

thx man. u should make a thread. i love looking at tank threads for good ideas.

nope. good idea, i love fishing!

use crimped barbs(in case you dont no thisis a barb. take pliers and make it flat with the hook(or as flat as pocible.) and thats so the fish wont get hert as much.

disclamer. if fish gets hert its not my fault

also+1 to above

Have you tried leaving the net/trap in the tank and feeding them out of it? That might make the clown less suspicious =)

the trap was rental, so i had to take it back today. i will try leaving the net in there.

use crimped barbs(in case you dont no thisis a barb. take pliers and make it flat with the hook(or as flat as pocible.) and thats so the fish wont get hert as much.

disclamer. if fish gets hert its not my fault

also+1 to above

ok i wil try that.

also i will never blame you if the fish gets hurt. at this point it is wanted dead or alive.

if you do use a fishing pole. use like size 34 hooks(34 is small 1 is big.) so theres evin less harm to fish.

but use this as a last resort. or you could use an RPG

and i vote RPG

use this one looks about fish sized

GemanDisguiseIndy9.jpg

but the fish is a MURDERER!!!

it killed a firefish, and injured my xenya tree by knocking it down and my tortch on top of it

if you do use a fishing pole. use like size 34 hooks(34 is small 1 is big.) so theres evin less harm to fish.

but use this as a last resort. or you could use an RPG

and i vote RPG

use this one looks about fish sized

GemanDisguiseIndy9.jpg

great idea. i will SOO use that bc someone will for sure sell that to a 13 year old!!

tank looks nice. i like that ledge in their.

thx man.

its ur choice. id say go net aproch. and then you can sell it.

^ i got one. dosent every teen?

i got so close with a net once. as i was chasing it to the wall with the net, it turned to the curved corners where i couldnt completely put the net against the wall. smart fish -_-

Archived