Innovative Marine Aquariums

LED MeanWell power supply?

zingtaw

So i just spent quite some time reading through this entire thread. I ordered a meanwell 60 48P and i need to create a proper pwm dimming circuit for it.

Someone should make a nice and clear thread/sticky for these meanwell drivers stating how to properly set the current output and post proven working dimmer circuits for both the D and P series.

How many people have had success with the original pwm circuit posted on page 26 by evil? It seems some say the circuits work and some say they dont. Is there an updated circuit that i should use instead?

Some claim to use the analog circuit on the 60-48p and that it works somewhat ok. Is this harmful to the driver?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I need some wiring advice... Here is what I have.

x2

Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable driver

x2

10K Ohm Linear Potentiometer

x1

10V AC Adapter

x12

White LED

x12

Blue LED

How is this wired up to the led string (whites will be on one driver, blues on the other)? Pictures/maps best suited for me. Most of what i see is for the PWM dimmer and nothing on the D model(thats not a schematic that you need to be a electrical engineer to read). Do I need to buy more parts or am I ok with what I have as well?

• 4 years later...
EyeDontKnow

So i just spent quite some time reading through this entire thread. I ordered a meanwell 60 48P and i need to create a proper pwm dimming circuit for it.

How many people have had success with the original pwm circuit posted on page 26 by evil? It seems some say the circuits work and some say they dont. Is there an updated circuit that i should use instead?

The PWM circuit does not work as drawn.

I have not seen anyone say, "I built it, and it works".

In this thread, those who have built it, say it does not work.

I sort-of have it working, with a few changes.....

555PWMedited_zpsllquowtg.jpg

1) ...disconnected pin7 from pin5.

2) ...0.1uf cap on pin5 is still connected to ground.

3) ...eliminated 10k resistor from pin2.

4) ..."DIM+" now connects directly to pin3 (diodes).

When pin5 was connected to pin7....no waveform showed up on my oscilloscope.

When the 10k resistor was there, the signal/voltage was too low.....under a volt.

After the 10k was gone, the waveform on pin2 was a "sawtooth", with better voltage (it actually powered-up the unit)

Pin 3 has a square waveform, so DIM+ is connected there. The pot now adjusts the duty-cycle of a nice square-wave.

It turns on the LEDs, and dims....but all is not perfect.

Connected to my ELN-60-27P that is powering two (2) Bridgelux 27.3v (@350mA each) it can go to full brightness (700mA), down to about 1/4 brightness (180mA)....then shuts off. Low, dim light is not available.

The 100k pot does not make use of it's full range.....When the pot is fully rotated to one side, it is fully bright (max amps) but it takes a 1/4 turn untill it starts to dim at all.....and the lower end is the same (shuts off 3/4 of the way turned). The last 1/4 turn does nothing, as the LEDs have shut-down by then.

I tried using a 50k pot, with 25k resistors on either side (making it 100k total, so that the turning range is the middle 50k)....with no better improvement.

I suspect this may have to do with the duty cycle becoming out of range. The 27P data sheet shows that at 15% duty cycle, the current drops to zero.....hence, "lights off".

(with the "D" version, current stops at 5%...just under 1 volt.)

Maybe this all that can be expected, and what I have is what it is "meant" to do ?

I have a hunch that it is not....after all, real-world usage would seem to dictate that it is the "low light" range that is fairly important if you expect a dimming function to work....think = "mood lighting".

I'm not sure what to do with pin7 now, as there is nothing attached to it. Grounding it has no effect.

Just to be complete (and you can ignore this part, possibly)...but another way to get a similar duty cycle, is to connect a 1k resistor from pin7 to the power pin (pin8)....and connect DIM+ to pin7 (instead of pin3). Some voltage adjustments may be necessary so that there is still around 10v at DIM+.

My test setup is....a scope monitoring DIM+ to see the duty cycle. The scope will also tell me the freq of the circuit, as well as the voltage on DIM+.

At the same time, my multimeter is reading the current (amperage) feeding the LEDs.

BTW....I built the other PWM circuit mentioned, but without the FET on the output, and I get nearly the same results.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/183692-led-meanwell-power-supply/page-33#entry3002608

Commentary:

It's very surprising how hard it is to find a suitable PWM circuit for these Meanwells. I wish I had bought the "D" version.

Meanwell's datasheets are lacking with respect on suggesting a "proper circuit", and/or more information about implementation.

I've seen other company's data sheets, and often they have a recommended list of devices. Their "support documents" are lacking too.

I am trying to avoid the audrino route....and also trying to avoid buying things off ebay from china (Although meanwell is from China and Taiwan, as most all switching power supplies are) <_<

This often means poor documentation.....so, "it is what it is" I guess.

I have on-order, some of the newer meanwells...LPF and HLN which have 3 dimming solutions in the same package, as well as the LLD's.

post-87977-0-98850100-1430306528.jpg

post-87977-0-26999400-1430306529.jpg

post-87977-0-53106700-1430306529.jpg

jedimasterben

Jesus. Thread necro much? Look at the date of the post you just quoted.

It's pretty safe to say at this point that there is really little to no reason to use ELN drivers at all now.

EyeDontKnow

It's pretty safe to say at this point that there is really little to no reason to use ELN drivers at all now.

Maybe I should just throw it away ?

They are still being sold....I recently got mine from Mouser, last week.

Digikey has in stock, 60 different constant-current models to choose from that still employ PWM as a dimming option. Of those, 10 are PWM only, and 50 with analog/PWM dual choice. Mouser has even more PWM dimming models available.

The LDD dc/dc drivers also only use PWM dimming, so a review of a useful circuit is still relevant.

I was hoping to help solve an issue, for myself, and anybody else looking into the issue....and not leave it hanging as "unsolved". :)

jedimasterben

Maybe I should just throw it away ?

They are still being sold....I recently got mine from Mouser, last week.

Digikey has in stock, 60 different constant-current models to choose from that still employ PWM as a dimming option. Of those, 10 are PWM only, and 50 with analog/PWM dual choice. Mouser has even more PWM dimming models available.

The LDD dc/dc drivers also only use PWM dimming, so a review of a useful circuit is still relevant.

I was hoping to help solve an issue, for myself, and anybody else looking into the issue....and not leave it hanging as "unsolved". :)

I know that they are still being used and sold, but we'll continue to see less and less use in our hobby because of their limited dimming capabilities and that they're really rather expensive if you need more than one channel of control, not to mention a high minimum output voltage. ;)

Archived