SaltCritters.com

LED MeanWell power supply?

zingtaw

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would still have to use a current regulator (buckpuck) with it, other than that, I can't see why it wouldn't work. I think the laptop power supplies most DIYers are using would be cheaper though.

I missed that it had built in current limiting...nice find! :)

I was hoping to avoid the buck puck, because this unit has "Built-in constant current limiting circuit with adjustable OCP level " Would this not replace the buckpuck?

There is no need for a buckpuck or similar driver with this unit. It actually looks like a pretty interesting unit. It's constant voltage and constant current though, so you need pick the appropriate max voltage based on the LED string size. Seems to be a little hard to find though. Only place I found that sells online was in Australia. Need to look a little more.

EDIT: Found a few more places in the US. Looking at about $60 for the top end model.

wow thats a great find!!!

with the ELN-60-27 you can power about 4-5 P7. great for a big tanks and if u dont want to wire dozens of small LEDs with 1-3 watt capacity.

the ELN-60-48 is probably be universal with a lot of headroom for expansion.

evil is it $60 shipped? found a place also that will sell for $40-ish but dont know if theres shipping cost.

I plan on ordering one or more, but there is one thing on the specs that I was concerned about. It is the current level of the unit. I can match the LEDs to the approx voltage, but can I get a current that will not overdrive the LEDs.

Please help me know if I am missing something. On the 48v model the current is shown at 1.3amps, this will over drive the LEDs will it not?

Helleva find....my pants got kinda tight in the crotchel region :haha:

To answer your question, the datasheet says the current can be adjust by -25% to +3%, which at 48V the current is 1.3A can be dialed down to .975A. For the CREE XR-E, 1A is all we need to go down to. So we should be fine.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nick

I have placed an order for 2 of them. They will ship out next Thursday or Friday. Nice people. These units are not locally stocked, that is the reason for shipping delay. Also these units are not UL approved, so they cannot be returned, unless manufacuring defect. There is a PLN-60 that is UL approved however. The PLN is ~15 dollars more, and is different. The PLN has Active Power Factor Corrector but is not dimmable. I will keep you updated.

I plan on ordering one or more, but there is one thing on the specs that I was concerned about. It is the current level of the unit. I can match the LEDs to the approx voltage, but can I get a current that will not overdrive the LEDs.

Please help me know if I am missing something. On the 48v model the current is shown at 1.3amps, this will over drive the LEDs will it not?

it says its adj. 0-1.3A

it says its adj. 0-1.3A

hmmm...

why the discrepency b/w 0-1.3 and the -25%? to +3%

Do you suppose the 0-1.3 is set at by manufacturing to customer specs (say 700mA). and the internal pot allows the customer to adjust that setting -25%? to +3% ?

I plan to call them too on Monday.

erichatesmice

The Solaris I5 LED units use Meanwell power supplies? How do I know? I opened mines up to swap the fan and noticed it. I had used one way back when to power a peltier.

Did you take pictures when you took it apart? These devices are a little different from just a standard power supply. The drivers that they use are custom so they can have more control over the lighting.

Hmm. Not the savior we hoped it would be. Oh well, the search continues.

HAHA, That makes me think of the Matrix, and being "The One". They still will have some use.

Am I missing something here? Why not just go with a CLG-100-48 if you want a dual string, or a CLG-100-24 if you want a quad string as they have 2A and 4A currents respectively.

Yeah, I was just looking at that series of PS yesterday. The 100W and 150W models look good for larger arrays. I found on Mean Well's website a CGL-240 that is still in development. 48V @ 5A. Do the math (13 LEDs in 5 // strings = 65 at 1A.

Archived