Top Shelf Aquatics

Lighting Survey

Christopher Marks

Lighting Survey  

333 members have voted

1. 1. What types of lighting do you use on your aquarium?

• Power Compact Fluorescent
    • T5 High Output Fluorescent
    • Metal Halide
    • Light Emitting Diodes (LED)
    • Other

Christopher Marks

Aquarium lighting technology is constantly evolving, we have more choices than ever before. Share what types you have been using, how you like them, and what you might change or do differently next time.

To participate in the survey, choose your lighting in the poll above. Multiple choices are allowed. If you choose 'Other,' please explain!

I have the 36 Watt Current Dual satellite.

I like it, it's a great light. I am considering upgrading to a larger tank, however and if I do I will also upgrade to MH or T5HO lights.

I have 40w PC over my 5.5g tank, and it's actually working very well for that tank. Of course the tank is almost all softies, with the exception of one Acan frag. It's been set up about 4 months and all corals in it are doing very well.

I just switched to T5HO lighting for my 20L tank. So far I am EXTREMELY happy with it and like it better than the 150w MH w/Phoenix 14k bulb that I used to have. I have a really good bulb combo that gives me great color and I don't have the heat issues, which were really a problem with the MH.

I haven't had the light over the tank long enough to report on how corals do under it long-term, but it's looking pretty good so far.

I got a Sunpod 150watt MH HQI with 12 moon lights (6 blue, 6 white) and could not be happier. I upgraded from a 2x65watt 50/50 PC Coralife. This is on a 20 gallon high mixed reef tank.

I have a 250watt mh on my BC29, im still building everything and working on getting everything wired up as far as the fans, moon lights and actinic dawn/dusk light, check out my build thread for pics on the housing and reflector i built for it...

AllXJ96's 250w MH Build

• 1 year later...
I have the 36 Watt Current Dual satellite.

I like it, it's a great light. I am considering upgrading to a larger tank, however and if I do I will also upgrade to MH or T5HO lights.

i just have the tank for my fishes. should i get the coral for my tank or u think just plants is better?

• 1 year later...

I have a question I have t5 lights 96 wats 2 antic and 2 14K. They are on my 29 gallon aio tank the tank has a completely covered top all acril small part opens in center to feed ect. Does the acril affect m y lighting and if so how and what to do

thanks

• 3 months later...

Lighting Audit Services is an independent lighting survey and analysis company. We believe the lighting survey is the foundation of every project, and we are dedicated to thoroughness and accuracy.We understand that material cost and labor cost estimates are based on the survey. We understand that schedules, profits, reputations, client satisfaction, and energy savings are all based on the survey.Thanks for sharing this information.

energy saving bulbs

I used to have t5's and upgraded to LEDs. Believe it or not, the t5's had a better look, even after dimming my blues an whites all different ways. The downside of the 5's is the difficulty to add color and changing bulbs every 10 months.

Even though I like t5's more, the corals seem to grow more and respond better to the LEDs, and I will have this fixture for a long time with no maintenance.

• 3 weeks later...

all of the above. the lighting should match the inhabitants and the tank. for sea monster(tessellata eel) any standard fluorescent will do . halides on big deep tanks t5 for supplements and dawn dusk cycle led for night time on my mixed reefs. t5 and leds for my nano mixed 150watt halide and leds for my 15 tall mixed reef. use what is needed buy once cry once and love your slice of ocean daily

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

W'oh! This thread is back from the dead. It's back from 2009. I'll bet if the survey was retaken now it'd be a lot more skewed towards LED's. There'd probably still be some T5's, but I'll bet halides would be way down and PC's nearly nil.

Archived