Pod Your Reef

Do you keep a cover on your aquarium?

Christopher Marks

Covered Aquarium Survey  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Do you keep a cover on your aquarium?

• Yes - I have a glass/acrylic aquarium cover.
    • Yes - I have a screen/mesh/eggcrate cover.
    • Yes - I have an aquarium with a built-in hood.
    • No - The top of my aquarium is open to the air.

Christopher Marks

Hobbyists sometimes choose to keep a cover on their aquarium for various reasons. Often times it is to help with evaporation control, or to keep fish from jumping outside of the aquarium. There can however be disadvantages to having a covered aquarium, such as overheating.

In the interest of helping others decide, please vote in the poll and share your experiences and solutions in this topic.

Not sure how to vote here....

Running four tanks right now

1- AIO covered

1- mesh screen covered

1- well, mostly covered by the light fixture LOL

1- open

So, once again, I am of no help here whatsoever.

IMO it really depends on: the set up, lighting, cooling, inhabitants etc.

• 7 months later...

I have lost two fish to carpet surfing, so I made this cover from bird netting to keep everyone in the tank.

Very easy to fabricate from window screen frame you can buy at HD or Lowes.

post-40030-1251658005_thumb.jpg

post-40030-1251658016_thumb.jpg

I decided to go with an AIO with the stock hood to prevent my 5 yr old from introducing toys into the reef and to prevent the cat from "overeating".

glass top. dramatic reduction in evaporation and no jumping issues (have a jawfish). Central air keeps tank below 82 degrees. NO fans or controller for temp control

I'm finshing my new top now. Acrylic covers te skimmer and back chambers, then there's glass in the middle and egg crate and mesh around the edges. Extra complicated but it works nicely. :D

I have 4 pieces of glass covering my tank, mainly to minimize evaporation (which would make my salinity bounce around like Pam Anderson's jubblies). Also, I have a Purple Firefish now and they are known to be jumpers... I want to build a 'tidepool' tank one day though, completely open air but not viewable from any of the sides, only the top.

Paleoreef103

... Kind of. I use egg crate to create a fish guard, but I also have a hole in the middle to not block any of the halide. Works great and I haven't had a jumper since I put the egg crate on. (lost two clowns and a bicolor blenny to jumping before hand)

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived