SaltCritters.com

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

HarryPotter

Who has the most basic yet effective filtration setup on their 29bc?

No fish :lol:

The best IMO would probably be an external reactor (BRS), ditching the sponges, using a Cad-Lights PLS-50 elite skimmer, and JUST chemipure blue in the media basket

• 4 months later...

Would adding the 4 LED strips from Coralife really help? Could they be used in the summer instead of the regular lights?

No, those are really just accent lighting. They won't be enough to keep anything alive.

• 3 months later...

These readings were taken from a user on another forum. I thought it was important for Biocube owners to know the PAR readings of their stock lights.

Using an Apogee MQ-200 PAR meter

Water surface: 200

Middle of tank: 100

Sand bed: 50

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

anyone have any knowledge or experience with the LED Biocube 16/32?

I have the 32. I am currently in week 2 of my cycle so dont have any occupants.

It's a nice looking tank.

The light fan is a little noisy but I can replace it with a quieter one if need be. It's a single fan compared to two fans on the 29

I really like the new LED lights and built in timer. Lights are only good for low to moderate corals.

I got the stand with it but it's not that great.

They got rid of the bioballs and it comes with a three level media rack for the middle chamber.

Still has the crappy return pump from the 29, I replaced with the a cobalt mj1200 which has more flow and is quieter.

Waiting on a skimmer because the lid on the 32 has less clearance than the 29 in the back above the chambers and they also got rid of the rear hatch which seemed like it was kind of handy.

Found mine on Marineandreef.com for about $380 which was the cheapest I've seen. Looks like they are out of stock though.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

well...talking with a BioCube rep, the lighting can support softies, LPS and SPS coral's.

apparently Central Aquatics has three of the LED BioCube's on demo, one of each supporting one of the coral's mentioned.

so that's cool. :)

At MACNA I was told the hood would be available for purchase and fits the BC 29- Has anyone seen just the hood for sale? I am thrilled about the timer option!

hey spark, I just asked the Coralife rep I've been talking to for the part # for just the LED BioCube 32 hood so you can give that to your LFS to order for you.

I'll let you know as soon as I get a reply back from them!

• Like 1

hey spark, I just asked the Coralife rep I've been talking to for the part # for just the LED BioCube 32 hood so you can give that to your LFS to order for you.

I'll let you know as soon as I get a reply back from them!

WHOOOOOT!!! Thank you so so much!!!!!!!

• Like 1

mmm, so Teresa says that it's coming, but no price/availability until after sometime November.

sorry to bare the bad news. :(

That's ok, just in time for Christmas!!!! I was planning on asking for it ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

anyone have any knowledge or experience with the LED Biocube 16/32?

I just picked up a 16 to replace my old Oceanic 14. It was much cheaper to just buy this new tank than throwing money at the old one to replace the bulbs, fans, and ballasts.

I found it at a LFS nearby for $220 for the tank and $120 for the stand. It was $320 for the 32 and $150 for the 32 stand.

I must say I am impressed with this version, with the exception of the fan noise. If anyone has any suggestions on a quieter replacement, please let me know.

The built in time was the key selling point to me. With this, you only have 2 plugs for the entire system, one for the lights and one for the pump.

One thing I would have liked to see is the ability to set the intensity of the lights. Other than that, it is a great choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Edited 10/24 to show how the problem was resolved.

Newbie to reef aquariums here. I was super excited to buy a Biocube 32, which I have filled with salt water, sand, and live rock. Imagine my excitement when I turned on the power, only to discover that the hood seems to be screwed up. I got to the final stage of the programmable timer (lights off for #3), and it is absolutely stuck on the time I set. There's nothing at all I can do to get it off that final stage, and the lights will not come on. Unplugging it at the wall, unplugging that connector cord from the hood itself indeed turns off the hood, but when it's powered back on, it resumes precisely where it left off--stuck at the "off" setting for the evening lights. The on/off button for the hood itself isn't operating any more, and pressing menu does nothing.

Help! Has anyone encountered this? Is there a hard reset somewhere?

Also, there's supposed to be a menu option that lets you test the lights (one was a demo mode that cycles through everything in a few minutes, according to the instructions). For the brief time that I did have menu access, this wasn't available. I simply had clock mode and the programmable timer.

I can call the company tomorrow, and at least everything should be OK for the short term. My LFS will give me a temporary light for the live rock if this is going to be prolonged. Presumably, I can get a new hood from the company, but maybe there is an easier solution?

Edit: The tech at Coralife showed me that there's a hard reset button (tiny pinhole) at the main console on the hood. I stuck a straight pin in there to reset it, and now everything works great! Awesome!!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone run Cheato in their Biocube? I was given a big ball of it yesterday. Have an intank basket and thought I would pull out my skimmer ( since it never seems to skims) ordered an led light and will place the basket where the skimmer is ( or is the return chamber better) I am sure it will not do a ton of good since it is such a small amount but figured it could not hurt? Will it help with nutrient uptake?

Does anyone run Cheato in their Biocube? I was given a big ball of it yesterday. Have an intank basket and thought I would pull out my skimmer ( since it never seems to skims) ordered an led light and will place the basket where the skimmer is ( or is the return chamber better) I am sure it will not do a ton of good since it is such a small amount but figured it could not hurt? Will it help with nutrient uptake?

I had an InTank Fuge basket and ran chaeto when I initially set up my BC29. The chaeto grew marginally but not well enough to continue running it in my back chamber. Because it's tight back there, the chaeto couldn't really tumble and started to die off, leading to more detritus build up in the back chambers. To me, it ended up being more trouble than it was worth. I ended up ditching it and now run a media reactor with GFO in it's place.

I had an InTank Fuge basket and ran chaeto when I initially set up my BC29. The chaeto grew marginally but not well enough to continue running it in my back chamber. Because it's tight back there, the chaeto couldn't really tumble and started to die off, leading to more detritus build up in the back chambers. To me, it ended up being more trouble than it was worth. I ended up ditching it and now run a media reactor with GFO in it's place.

are you running the media reactor in the back chamber? if so what kind? which Chamber?

are you running the media reactor in the back chamber? if so what kind? which Chamber?

Yup. I'm running an Aquamaxx FR-S media reactor. It works great and has a magnet mount. Fits perfectly right where the Fuge basket used to go.

IMG_20161129_172150331_HDR_zpsrhp2izaf.j

THANKS

Yup. I'm running an Aquamaxx FR-S media reactor. It works great and has a magnet mount. Fits perfectly right where the Fuge basket used to go.IMG_20161129_172150331_HDR_zpsrhp2izaf.j

What is in chamber 1?

Yup. I'm running an Aquamaxx FR-S media reactor. It works great and has a magnet mount. Fits perfectly right where the Fuge basket used to go.IMG_20161129_172150331_HDR_zpsrhp2izaf.j

It's the Aquaticlife 115 protein skimmer. I like it in the first chamber as the water stays at a constant level there. Once broken in, it does a pretty decent job of skimming as far as nano skimmers go.

• Like 1