Top Shelf Aquatics

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

so im looking at getting the hydor slim skim nano to put into chamber 1 and then the media basket and fuge basket in chamber 2 then put my heater in number 3 as well as an upgraded pump. hows this sound to yall? should the fuge go before or after the media basket?

fishybusiness11

If I were you I'd get the new tunze ghost skimmer, put it in chamber two along with a media basket and that leaves room for a innovative nano reactor or thermometer in chamber one. Have not heard good things about hydor slim. Also a very good idea to run a heater in chamber one and three in case one fails like mine did (lost my whole tank). currently I have in chamber one heater and nano reactor with gfo. chamber two tunze 9002 (wish I waited for the ghost), and a intank media basket. chamber three is a mj900, biocube uv sterilizer, and another heater. Just dont see a huge benefit of having a small ball of cheato in the back. I ran with a fuge in chamber two for about a year and came to the conclusion the space could be better used.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to cut the overflow to full width, between Chambers 1 & 2, with the tank up and running? I want to cut it now but can't empty everything out. Any suggestions?

I just recently bought a BC 29 and I want to use me custom built led setup.

The question I have is where can I get the HQI hood that has the glass in the front but covers up the back chambers.

And also is there another solution to covering this area up and having the front open.

post-36432-0-07504500-1408770147_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for you to add to the FAQ's.

How do you remove the black stuff on the back of the tank. My cube only has a little square that has no black stuff on that i can see into chamber 2. I would like to be able to see all the chambers. Did you remove the black or did yours not come with it?

I think the black stuff on the back is a vinyl so you should be able to cut it with a knife

I will double check today as I'm moving my tank to the other died of the room.

Rob

I think the black stuff on the back is a vinyl so you should be able to cut it with a knife I will double check today as I'm moving my tank to the other died of the room. Rob

I tried to cut it with a razor blade but it would not cut. It felt like I was scraping off paint more then anything. I tried to scrap it off but it was not a vary successful attempt. but as i was putting the blade away it was dull so though could be part of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to cut it with a razor blade but it would not cut. It felt like I was scraping off paint more then anything. I tried to scrap it off but it was not a vary successful attempt. but as i was putting the blade away it was dull so though could be part of it.

I scraped mine off with a razor and it came off ok for what I needed

hey all, just getting back into nano's with a biocube 14 after a 2 year hiatus...

i would like to put a skimmer in my biocube, but i don't want to use the oceanic skimmer i got, any suggestions for chamber 1? also looking for a new hood, anyone know where i can source one?

anyone got any suggestions for a skimmer? i really don't want to use the crappy oceanic one.

Try the new Tunze 9001 skimmer. It should fit.....

Probably work....check Dave at Nano box he makes GREAT lights for biocubes! (a very happy customer-not a paid spokesman!!)

I can vouch for Daves' work as I had him do a retro-fit for my BC29!

I keep mostly acros, some LPS, and a clam. Just recently got a christmas tree worm rock and it's doing great, so far.

• Like 1

My concern with nano box is the light spread, every picture I've seen of these lights features excess light spillage. Since I plan to have this tank setup in my living room i want to ensure i'm not getting blinded

I have mine right next to where I sit on the couch watching TV with no problem at all. Nice feature is sunrise/sunset and moon phase. This time of year the lights are going into the sunset phase when I get home from work. His retro fit kit fits right in the hood really clean installation.