SaltCritters.com

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

icedearth15324

So I just have to say, Corallife's support is pretty awesome. I bought a 29g biocube off craigslist with a stand for $50. But it was missing all the plumbing parts. I contacted Corallife's support and they sent me the plumbing parts free of charge. The elbow, return nozzle, and the tube that connects the elbow to the pump.

• Like 1
PoseidonIncarnate

Hello. My first post on here. I have a Coralife BC 29 and I bought the Hydor Slim Skim nano for my protein skimmer. I have it and inTank media basket in the second chamber. It fits very nicely and I didn't have to cut anything out. It seems like a very good skimmer. I did superglue the piece that holds the magnets to the back of the skimmer because they kept popping out but besides that I haven't had any problems. I haven't gotten a very dark skimmate but my tank is fairly new and still cycling. Your not limited to just the Tunze and the Aquatic Life brands.

• Like 1

So with a constant temp of 81 with the back door open, I decided to replace the stock coralife pump with a cobalt mj1200 as I have seen in forums it would produce less heat. Temp has been 82+ all day even with a cooling fan running over the 3rd compartment. I'm hoping it is just because I had the air off all day and It got rather hot in here, but the air has been on for six or more hours with the fan.

So with a constant temp of 81 with the back door open, I decided to replace the stock coralife pump with a cobalt mj1200 as I have seen in forums it would produce less heat. Temp has been 82+ all day even with a cooling fan running over the 3rd compartment. I'm hoping it is just because I had the air off all day and It got rather hot in here, but the air has been on for six or more hours with the fan.

I think unless you keep your house cool you will always be battling high temps in your Biocube. If you have the extra money to spend you may want to consider moving to LED lighting.

It was the house......that time of year where I'm trying to have a month with no cooling or heating bill. Had cooling fan on and got tank temp down to 80. Turned air back on and now tank temp holding at 81. First upgrade I did was to get true lumenpro leds , couldn't imagine what the temp would be like with stock lighting. Everyone seems happy in dt so guess I should not worry to much.

All the rimless cubes I have seen only had the portion above the viewing area removed and the lid removed also.I have never heard any ill effects from this but Im not sure what it compromises.

Anyone have advice on removing the rim?

Or does anyone know if the Kessil A150 lights will work for a 29g biocube?

I have a Kessil A150W over a BC29 HQI. It will work and give you good coverage. But it you want to keep SPS, I'd look elsewhere as the PAR beyond a few inches under the water isn't very good. All of my LPS are doing very well under the Kessil.

icedearth15324

I have a Kessil A150W over a BC29 HQI. It will work and give you good coverage. But it you want to keep SPS, I'd look elsewhere as the PAR beyond a few inches under the water isn't very good. All of my LPS are doing very well under the Kessil.

Good to know. I mainly intend on keeping some LPS, and a BTA for my clownfish.

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent, I had this exact question. Everything is doing great under the stock halide but this past summer I fought like heck to keep the tank's temperature down. That was made even worse as the tank is on my second floor. The Kessil looks great but I just wasn't sure how a spotlight would cover the whole tank.

No SPS for me yet so I'm solid there. Also I'm looking to change because the stock HQI fan sounds like a truck when it turns on. I swapped out my first fixture's fans but then the arm broke so Oceanic sent me a whole new unit with the same crap stock fan.

It was the house......that time of year where I'm trying to have a month with no cooling or heating bill. Had cooling fan on and got tank temp down to 80. Turned air back on and now tank temp holding at 81. First upgrade I did was to get true lumenpro leds , couldn't imagine what the temp would be like with stock lighting. Everyone seems happy in dt so guess I should not worry to much.

Same here. Even with the cooling fan I had problems. Which makes sense. My ambient temp was maybe upper 70s in the room where I kept the tank, then add in the pumps and light and I was seeing some severe spikes. I am pretty sure I hit 85 one day, fortunately no damage was done.
What I did start doing was splitting up the timing on the lights. Lights on at 7AM, off again at 11 so that there is no light dumping heat into the tank during the hottest part of the day, then lights back on at 3pm - 7pm. With some adjustment of my AC system I was able to keep the tank at a steady 79 with maybe a 1-2 degree bump during the middle of the day.
  • Like 1

Here I spent 2 days reading this entire thread and I'd come to expect cake at the end. There's no cake? Do I at least get a companion cube? ;-)

Thanks for this resource. I'm cramming information in as I get ready to set up my second BC14. I have a Freshwater Planted BC14 that has been up for two months, and I want to side-by-side a BC14 Reef.

A quick question on filtration: there's consensus that a protein skimmer is not needed if you run a media rack (ordered 2) and do frequent water changes. But, isn't more filtration better? And, if I double up by running a full media rack with cheato, etc. and then also run a skimmer in chamber 1…can I add 1 or 2 more fish to my tank?

:-)

That is one of the enduring debates of the hobby I think.

FWIW, I have the crappy stock skimmer that only works when it feels like it. I use a big bag of carbon and a small bag of phosban. My water changes are pretty infrequent and I feed fairly heavily. All of my critters are healthy and happy, but the tank could be a little "cleaner" if that makes sense. Water isn't always super clear and I have occasional run ins with nuisance algae. All in all I can't complain one bit as the tank is in my 14 month son's room and so my access for maintenance is limited.

• 3 months later...

It will not work unless you peel the vinyl off the back area where you plan to set it up. You need to have a clear area where the sensor can see through.

Other than that the autoaqua works great and is easy to use, it comes with everything you need minus the water res. Its as simple as plugging it all in and setting up your water height.

• Like 1

So was thinking of buying the Aquaticlife 115 protein skimmer from InTank with the Oceanic Biocube kit. Anyone have any good or bad things to say about the skimmer? I like the fact that it can fit in the first chamber on the back and still use the two baskets from InTank.

I have the Aquaticlife 115 in chamber 1 and it works pretty good. You will have to use airline to extend the air intake, but this is real easy to do. The skimmer, once broken in will produce a good amount of skimmate, although it is a bit watery. For the money, I'm quite pleased with mine. I'm even happier that this skimmer, being placed in chamber 1, allows me to use the inTank media basket and the fuge basket in chamber 2.

Anyone have a recommendation for a heater that could fit in either the InTank refugium basket or in the return chamber?

I use an Aqueon Pro 100 Watt heater. It fits perfectly in chamber 1 along with the Aquaticlife 115 skimmer. No need to put it in chamber 2. I can also see the heater's off/on light through the upper skimmer grating.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I've just purchased my Biocube 14 and am very excited to get started. I have been reading through some of the articles and posts here but have some basic questions before I get started.

My goal is to establish a salt water tank to house a pair of clowns and eventually some anemones. I know that I need to establish my tank before adding the anemones but I have a question on the T5 lighting. Is there a recommended kit to use? The links I was running across all appeared to be dead. If I use the stock lighting now, would it be a big issue to the tank to update this later when I am ready for the anemones?

Question for now would be about the initial setup - I would like to setup the tank from the start with a setup that should hopefully last and not disturb my established environment once I get it going. What must have upgrades would you all recommend? Any specific type of sand or rock I should use for a newbie such as myself?

Hello!

I've just purchased my Biocube 14 and am very excited to get started. I have been reading through some of the articles and posts here but have some basic questions before I get started.

My goal is to establish a salt water tank to house a pair of clowns and eventually some anemones. I know that I need to establish my tank before adding the anemones but I have a question on the T5 lighting. Is there a recommended kit to use? The links I was running across all appeared to be dead. If I use the stock lighting now, would it be a big issue to the tank to update this later when I am ready for the anemones?

Question for now would be about the initial setup - I would like to setup the tank from the start with a setup that should hopefully last and not disturb my established environment once I get it going. What must have upgrades would you all recommend? Any specific type of sand or rock I should use for a newbie such as myself?

Check on LED retrofits.

the popular ones are NanoBoxReef (Dave Fason, he's a member here), Rapid LEDs, and Steve's LEDs.

Some will use Panorama Pro LED modules and do it themselves once gutting the hood.

I personally went with NanoBox. It's not here yet though.

Check on LED retrofits.

the popular ones are NanoBoxReef (Dave Fason, he's a member here), Rapid LEDs, and Steve's LEDs.

Some will use Panorama Pro LED modules and do it themselves once gutting the hood.

I personally went with NanoBox. It's not here yet though.

Cool thanks - I am going through your own build and taking notes as well. Which version of the NanoBox did you go with? Can't wait to see pictures.

Cool thanks - I am going through your own build and taking notes as well. Which version of the NanoBox did you go with? Can't wait to see pictures.

Yay. I will follow yours as well when you post a thread. It's hard to tell from the NanoBox website but Dave will build your retrofit if you email him.

• Like 1
SantaMonica

Would someone have a basic answer to this?...

1. What is the lowest height of the rim of the typical smallest bc?

2. What is the smallest cross-area (not depth) of the typical smallest back chamber?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
RisingSons87

is it possible to run chemipure and purigen in the second chamber without a media basket? I was hoping to put some filter floss on top of the dip tray then tie the chemipure and purigen to the dip tray? any help is appreciated

vegasgundog

Anything is possible but you won't get the the total volume of water forced through the media, just a small portion. A media basket will force water to go through the media. Can't go wrong with inTank.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I have my heater in the first chamber where the intake slots are. Mine is a Cobalt Neo therm 50watt unit.

It has performed well.

Have a InTank media basket the Second chamber with floss, Purigen and Chemi-Pure Elite.