Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

Does anyone know the size of the stock fans in the BC 29 HQI fixture? I can't seem to find the MM sizing and I want to replace the loud stock fan with a couple silent CPU fans. The halide fixutre is heating up the tank a litte more than I'd like and I think increasing airflow in the fixture will reduce that.

Yes very quiet hence the name stealth lol. Seriously they are quiet i have hooked them up out of the tank and could barely hear them running.They are the upgrade kit from rapid led.Comes with fans,speed controller and a power supply.

I took my hood apart and the Biocube 29 HQI fan is a 40MM. In case anyone is interested, I removed the stock one (it was noisy even when it was working correctly) and replaced it with 2 of these. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016CMCBG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2F13KK758WMXQ

I had these on a mini PC I wasn't using and they are much quieter than the stock fan.These guys are an exact match, the only difference is the stock fan clicks into place where for these I just put a little bit of silicone caulk on the pegs.

• 2 weeks later...

How loud is a stock compact florescent 29 gallon biocube? I am considering installing one on a table that is right next to where I sit. I would be approximately 3' from it when watching TV, etc.

Thanks!

i had the 14g version in my bedroom and it was not an issue for me.i could only hear it if i was paying attention to it.You can also get the aftermarket stealth fans and upgrade it.Very cheap.

Its a type of lighting.Just a brief explanation from marinedepot.com

Non hqi

• Comprehensive aquarium lighting system with Coralife compact fluorescent lighting
  • Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LEDs
  • Dual cooling fans integrated into the hood
  • Individual power cords allow timer operation for custom light schedules
  • Curved glass front corner for a panoramic aquarium view
  • Integrated Wet/Dry Biological Filtration

Hqi

• 150 Watt HQI Metal Halide Lighting
  • 14,000K Lamp Included
  • Integrated Filtration with Protein Skimmer
  • Built-In Refugium Chamber
  • Glass Canopy and Feeding Rings
  • Clear glass splash guard surrounding the U.V. shielded metal halide lamp
  • Powerful but quiet fan built into light fixture for active cooling
  • Light housing designed with small thermal vents so heat rises up and away from aquarium

Oceanic BioCube Aquariums/Tanks

The current process now is fetting the standard pc version and gutting it then installing the steves leds or rapid leds direct fit upgrade.I like the look of steves better.Just google them for more info if you are interested.

If you dont want to do leds then it depends what coral you want for the biocube on which one to get.the hqi is intense lighting and also may have heating issues depending on your house temp.

I get about a 2.2-2.5 degree swing during the day with the HQI (77.8+- 80.2+-) Room stays about 72-74 right now. I'll be keeping a close eye on it when summertime comes. I have room to raise the light a little bit and I may have to install an evaporation fan.

Lot's of guys seem to replace the MH bulb with an LED array as well. I prefer the HQI styling msyelf as the glass top provides more ambiance to the room.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
TimTimothy

Here I spent 2 days reading this entire thread and I'd come to expect cake at the end. There's no cake? Do I at least get a companion cube? ;-)

Thanks for this resource. I'm cramming information in as I get ready to set up my second BC14. I have a Freshwater Planted BC14 that has been up for two months, and I want to side-by-side a BC14 Reef.

A quick question on filtration: there's consensus that a protein skimmer is not needed if you run a media rack (ordered 2) and do frequent water changes. But, isn't more filtration better? And, if I double up by running a full media rack with cheato, etc. and then also run a skimmer in chamber 1…can I add 1 or 2 more fish to my tank?

:-)

A quick question on filtration: there's consensus that a protein skimmer is not needed if you run a media rack (ordered 2) and do frequent water changes. But, isn't more filtration better? And, if I double up by running a full media rack with cheato, etc. and then also run a skimmer in chamber 1…can I add 1 or 2 more fish to my tank?

:-)

Adding a skimmer won't hurt anything, there just won't be much to skim. Another issue is a lack of quality nano skimmers. It seems that many of the little ones just are not worth it.

I'd say 2-3 compatible fish max in that tank regardless of whether or not you are skimming.

• Like 1
TimTimothy

OK…1 more question. How about a reactor? I think the CAD Lights Nano Reactor will fit in the biocube chamber 1 (can anyone confirm?). Any reason to include this? Or, like with the skimmer…is it just overkill?

OK…1 more question. How about a reactor? I think the CAD Lights Nano Reactor will fit in the biocube chamber 1 (can anyone confirm?). Any reason to include this? Or, like with the skimmer…is it just overkill?

I'd say overkill. If you haven't already buy a controller like the Apex or Reefkeeper and an Auto-top off. That would be money much better spent than a skimmer or reactor.

Phiberopttic

Quick question, I mixed in some of my Live Rock rubble (probably two handfuls) with the Bio Balls in Chamber 2. Good idea, or bad idea?

Quick question, I mixed in some of my Live Rock rubble (probably two handfuls) with the Bio Balls in Chamber 2. Good idea, or bad idea?

It shouldn't hurt anything in the short run. I'd actually work towards eventually removing all your rubble and bioballs.

Phiberopttic

It shouldn't hurt anything in the short run. I'd actually work towards eventually removing all your rubble and bioballs.

I spent time today reading/learning about the benefits of a media basket and refugium, looking at the ones made by inTank. Trying to decide if this will really help me keep nitrates low and get better water conditions, or if its just one more thing to spend money on...

I spent time today reading/learning about the benefits of a media basket and refugium, looking at the ones made by inTank. Trying to decide if this will really help me keep nitrates low and get better water conditions, or if its just one more thing to spend money on...

I'd say some form of media basket is a better option than bioballs and rubble. I found a refugium a pain in the butt in my biocube so I'd run without one. Water changes will be the most important part of nutrient export.

I've personally never used the inTank biocube products, but people seem to like them. If you are at all into DIY you can find cheap ways to make your own versions of a media rack. I've seen some made with light diffuser and zip ties.