Cultivated Reef

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

30 watts is all u need. If you want to keep the stock hood then perhaps, but u shud look at the AI nano for $100 more. Those shud be 100x's better..

Thanks, he has a 36 Watt one too. Also the wife prefers the hood stay on right now so have to compromise a bit.

Thanks, he has a 36 Watt one too. Also the wife prefers the hood stay on right now so have to compromise a bit.

Do the rapidled retrofit kit. Full LED upgrade all kept in the hood except the drivers. Upgraded my BC29 and love it. Go with more royal blue than whites and mix in a couple neutral white with the cool whites. I need to order 2-3 NW's to replace some CW's to get better color on mine I think.

Do the rapidled retrofit kit. Full LED upgrade all kept in the hood except the drivers. Upgraded my BC29 and love it. Go with more royal blue than whites and mix in a couple neutral white with the cool whites. I need to order 2-3 NW's to replace some CW's to get better color on mine I think.

Looking into it and rather interested (prices are good). How hard was it to install? I really don't have alot of wiring experience or anything.

Also would you get the dual dimmer or is the single dimmer good enough?

Edited by theSHIMMY
Looking into it and rather interested (prices are good). How hard was it to install? I really don't have alot of wiring experience or anything.

Also would you get the dual dimmer or is the single dimmer good enough?

Wasn't hard if you're at all comfortable with soldering. They may have a solder less kit available now too. Get the dual dimmer so you can control the colors independently. I use an Apex to control mine.

I'm thinking about putting the hood on my biocube and installing LED's but I don't want my temp to rise too high. Topless my tank runs at 78. But how high can the temp rise without harming my livestock.

Edited by Deputy_Pooh
I'm thinking about putting the hood on my biocube and installing LED's but I don't want my temp to rise too high. Topless my tank runs at 78. But how high can the temp rise without harming my livestock.

Prior to my upgrades my BC29 ran as high as 81-82 with no issues other than my stress. My experience has been that LED's have added little heat to my tank.

When I switched to leds my temp stabalized at 77 degrees. Befor that it was fluctuating between 77 at night and 83 durring the day. Now I have no temp swings at all. I am usining ecoxotic stunner strips for my lighting.

Where is your temp at after the LED install?

After LED's, MP10, and Hydor Pico 1200 it got down to 78-79. I kept my house at 78. In the winter it takes both 50w heaters to keep temp up with the house at 68.

After LED's, MP10, and Hydor Pico 1200 it got down to 78-79. I kept my house at 78. In the winter it takes both 50w heaters to keep temp up with the house at 68.

Is this with a retrofit hood. or a LED fixture leaving the top open?

When I switched to leds my temp stabalized at 77 degrees. Befor that it was fluctuating between 77 at night and 83 durring the day. Now I have no temp swings at all. I am usining ecoxotic stunner strips for my lighting.

I am running the stunner strips on my 14 also. Which ones did you go with? I ended up getting the 8k/royal blues and the magenta/royal blue. I absolutly love the color of the tank now. And they work great with the corals I keep, which arent too demanding. I dont have temp swings anymore either. But i did keep the stock fans and cover so the fan pulls away what little heat they would make.

how did everyone seal the lower intakes in chamber 1 to get more flow in the upper intake?

Would it be wiser to only block half the intake?

i am interested in this too. level in my tank fluctuates a bit, so i am trying different things to see what would stabilize it.

I think I read that some people use 1/2 and old cd case and cover it that way from the front so the suction just holds it in place. I did that to mine yesterday but if there is another better more eye pleasing solution I would love to know.

Bradjones1979

Does anybody know if the biocube HQI's hood will fit the standard biocube 29 and if so any mods required? Will you loose in hight in the back chambers. Any elaboration will be great. As I am thinking of getting the hqi hood. Thanks Brad

Is this with a retrofit hood. or a LED fixture leaving the top open?

Wow, sorry for the late reply. I don't get reply notifications anymore for some reason. This is a retrofit hood with an LED fixture. I leave the hatches closed.

Does anyone have a 24" T5HO light setup over their 29BC? I'm thinking of replacing the LED's with an AquticLife 24" light fixture so I'll have more bulb options than with the 20" fixture.

Thanks.

Does anyone have a 24" T5HO light setup over their 29BC? I'm thinking of replacing the LED's with an AquticLife 24" light fixture so I'll have more bulb options than with the 20" fixture.

Thanks.

I think I've decided on this setup to replace my LED's. The AuaticLIfe 24" with 2 Blue, 1 Purple+ and 1 Aquablue.

Thoughts?

my setup: 29bc, stock lighting, heater in tank along back bottom, still running stock pump in ch3.

added cpr ps in ch2 (takes the entire ch). I have moved my purigen, chemipure to ch1 with filter floss on top.

My idea is that flow is coming from bottom up through all the floss, plus top flow falls into it. Seems to be working so far.

I want to add chaeto, thinking about how to contain it, in tank or in chambers with space thats left.

So my thoughts are - would the in tank media basket fit in chamber 1 and i could cram 4 items together in it?

or use a mesh bag like the chemipure bag and put it in 3 above the pump?

Anyone have any experience doing anyone of this?

Other future projects: LED Retrofit, move heater to fuge, add hydor spinning deflector thingy (I see that in a lot of peoples pictures and I know I have someone somewhere in my stuff), add second korellia?, upgrade ch 3 pump to 1200 like many recommend (have one of those hanging our in my stash),...

So many things, so little time.

oh and the big one...figure out a way to win the war against all the red algae that haunts me!

whew!

How often is everyone replacing their Chemi Pure Elite and Purigen?

I only have the 6.5 oz bag of Chemi if that matters. I am thinking of changing both of them every 2 to 3 months.

How often is everyone replacing their Chemi Pure Elite and Purigen?

I only have the 6.5 oz bag of Chemi if that matters. I am thinking of changing both of them every 2 to 3 months.

Replacing chemi-pure elite roughly every three months. Purigen I eyeball it and replace when it is all dirty.

Does anyone have the AI nano in a BC14 hood? I'm wondering how hard it will be to retrofit and wire in for a total novice. Thanks!

I do not, sorry. But here is how I had mine over my BC29.

Added additional thickness the form of acrylic to the over flow area. You can see in the below picture.

photo-1783.jpg

Then I added some safety wire and attached it to a 3M double-sided tape hanger I mounted upside down with the top edge resting against the lip on the BC. You can find the hanger at any Walmart or such.

photo-2463.jpg