SaltCritters.com

Acropora's Coral Guide

AcroporaLokani

yes but your generalizing. not ALL sps will do well under that lighting.

I agree. I've never tried any other SPS besides birdsnest and monti's under my lighting. I don't think anything else would do well but I can't really give any accurate info because I don't know.

AcroporaLokani
very helpful thread..i think I know where to go from here w my 29 biocube...until tomorrow..happy new year....2009

Iain

Thanks, happy new year to you as well. And :welcome: to nano-reef.com!

-Acro

Edited by AcroporaLokani
With enough PC light any SPS will do fine, You may spend more money than MH but with enough PC light then yes SPS can live under it. You may have highly subdues colors and slower growth rates but you can keep SPS under PC.

The whole purpose behind keeping these corals is for their color. Let's face it brown corals in this hobby are a turn off for many.

You also stated that candycanes don't have sweepers. I have seen them extend 3" and longer many times.

Many LPS corals will extend longer sweepers under higher flow. A good example of this is the Galaxia coral.

You are correct about Pagoda corals not having long sweepers but fail to mention the mucus and poison darts these corals can expel.

Goniporas are photosynthetic and some species require a high amount of light.

The first nudibranch shown by the penny is not a montipora but a zoanthid eating nudibranch.

You also state that all soft corals can live under T8 and PC lighting. This is far from true. There are several species of soft corals that need higher light to survive. These include pipe organs, zoanthids and some types of toadstools just to name a few.

Overall I don't agree with everything but its not that bad of a general guide even though generalizing in this hobby can get you into trouble.

Also if you are going to use other peoples pictures you should not link directly to them and should give credit to the owners.

Edited by GobyInPeace
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

not bad not bad...this would be a great sticky to place in the beginners thread. although this si a generalized write-up, covers most of the general coral care.

I would agree, however, birdsnest in higher flow looks great, and i agree on you with pocillipora looking awesome!

• 1 month later...
kyrie_eleison

*sigh*

oh nevermind. If you're only 16 years old, it's excellent that you know as much as you do about the hobby. However, I do strongly recommend that you do a spell and grammar check on your PC (with MSWord/CorelWord Perfect) or even have someone review your work before you publish it. There are a few things about your description of corals and lighting that I may have to disagree with you though. No worries.

• 2 weeks later...

Great job! This is a wonderful collection of information, and I found it very helpful. Maybe it's not perfect and there are some nay-sayers, but it's an exercise that no one else here has attempted to do to this extent on this forum. Advice to both sides: To you, don't get offended if others have differing opinions or experiences. To others, be appreciative that someone took the time to compile this information and be kind in your criticisms.

Edited by mdavis203
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have kept zoanthids under low light, and they thrived. They were probably 15 inches from 2 t8 bulbs, and a t5. The ones I've kept definitely do NOT require high light, in my experience. They weren't brown either. They stayed a nice pink and blue color, and were very large.

So, I would say zoas have the ability to thrive under almost any lights.

• 2 years later...

I'm brand new to this forum. Have been reading for a few days now. this is the best most informative thread i've read so far! I have two questions to Ask.

Do you people always fight and argue like this??

I didn't see any touches on LED lighting... how will Soft corals do in a 2g Fluval spec with a Par38 LED light. (And any tips on the 2g would be greatly appreciated.

TeflonTomDosh

There's no fighting & arguing going on here, we love each other, we just have weird ways of showing it. Oh, except for seriokyu or whatever his name is, we all hate him. And yes, par 38 will be fine on 2 gallon tank. Use the search menu at the top right to find exactly what you're looking for. Oh & :welcome: to NR :)

slickwill613
I'm brand new to this forum. Have been reading for a few days now. this is the best most informative thread i've read so far! I have two questions to Ask.

I didn't see any touches on LED lighting... how will Soft corals do in a 2g Fluval spec with a Par38 LED light. (And any tips on the 2g would be greatly appreciated.

nothing about LEDs cause the thread is ancient.

There's no fighting & arguing going on here, we love each other, we just have weird ways of showing it. Oh, except for seriokyu or whatever his name is, we all hate him. And yes, par 38 will be fine on 2 gallon tank. Use the search menu at the top right to find exactly what you're looking for. Oh & :welcome: to NR :)

You old softie.

• Like 1

This information in this thread is dated and some just plain wrong. Not a mention of phosphate in here and that's the single most important factor for SPS keeping. IMO it should be unpinned :)

lakshwadeep

I personally disagreed with its pinning because of the over-generalizations, but unless someone else gives a better alternative, it's still useful as an overview.

• 1 month later...