inTank Media Baskets

16 gallon Coldwater

Jamie

ahhhhhh! Tidepooling was amazing!!!!!!

I ended up going to this place called The Three Graces in Tillamook (google it) which is brackish, but the life there was amazing. Barview would have been nice, but it's a jetty with 13 foot swell breaking over it, which would be unpleasant in the dark.

Anyways, I found these two anemones, and I don't know what either of them are! Not in my book, or on the internets! Well, one could be Anthopleura artemesia, but I don't think so - it's still closed up, so I can't tell, I'll get back to you on that one. But the other one is amazing! It's about 2 inches wide, and, just looking at the oral disk, looks almost exactly like some sort of urticina. Shorter and more numerous tentacles though (I think). But then on the sides, it's striped , like Epiactis prolifera (but the stripes aren't white, more green). It's sooo cool. Overal is sort of a tan-orange green color (hard to tell) but the oral disk has fine maroon lines running around the tentacles. Exactly like U. grebelnyi. Gah! I can't wait to put it in my tank. The other anemone is closed, but superficially looks kind of like a metridium, but it's not squishy enough, and has this sort of blue grey color near the top. No verrucae (maybe). white-ish.

And then there's the fish! There were all kinds of gunnels everywhere! I brought back, like, five or six, so some of you guys might have to take a few off my hands. ;) One of them is enormous, 8 inches long maybe, but it's so beautiful. It's light tan-green, but then right behind it's head it has this deep green patch with intense red mottled throughout it. It's a very small area on the fish, but it looks tight! I also found this really cool dark grey-and-white sculpin. Me and my dad were investigating a crack in a big rock, about 4 feet above the water, and this sculpin was just sitting in there, no water or anything! So we scooped him out and he's now in a bucket with the gunnels.

The water was a toasty 47 degrees, it has now warmed up to 50 in my basement (which is probably around 55-60). I will get pics once everything is in the tank tomorrow, I'm so excited!

Daniel, there actually were metridiums there, but they were so tiny and fragile that it was impossible to get them off the rocks without squishing them. :( I also kind of forgot to get more elegants, but I have plenty at home that you can have. :) and you get a gunnel, too, if you like.

yay! so happy! :D :D :D

Daniel says omgomgomg "WANT!!!!!!"

:lol::lol:

And they (Daniel) say I'm tough when bugging people for pictures, lol.

Waiting... :)

Me too.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Daniel, there actually were metridiums there, but they were so tiny and fragile that it was impossible to get them off the rocks without squishing them. :( I also kind of forgot to get more elegants, but I have plenty at home that you can have. :) and you get a gunnel, too, if you like.

Thats okay, I'll take anything I can get and there'll be other opportunities for me to get some metridiums :) Gunnel would be awesome - I need a fish in there :D

And they (Daniel) say I'm tough when bugging people for pictures, lol.

you're just upset you didnt beat everyone else to the punch that time :P

Daniel says omgomgomg "WANT!!!!!!"

:lol::lol:

This^^

Pics! Unfortunately, they're not very good. My camera ran out of batteries, so I had to make do with what I had up to that point.

A terrible pic of the new nem (closed). You can see the stripes on the base. As you go up the column they turn into rows of dots. Once it opens I'll get another pic so you can see the oral disk. I think the other un id'd nem is A. artemesia, but no pic right now.

DSC_0070-1.jpg

chitons!

DSC_0074-2.jpg

old anemone

DSC_0076-2.jpg

this is the nem from the diver's den, not as purple in my tank, but it's still nice

DSC_0079-2.jpg

berries

DSC_0081-1.jpg

gunnel/prickleback thing. This was the guy I was referring to as having red on him. As you can see, the cold was getting to me, he's definitely not very colorful, but he's still a cool fish. about 7 inches long (daniel, this may be the one you get)

DSC_0088-2.jpg

sculpin - 3-4 inches long

DSC_0100.jpg

Thanks all. :)

omgomgomg

I gotta get a cold tank set up. :tears:

yes, yes you do.

Quick update - everything seems happy. The fish hide a lot, occasionally I'll see a head poking out of a a rock somewhere. :P They've changed color a lot, too. The pricleback you saw earlier is now almost black, with lighter patches - similar to the sculpin. The big one has been identified as a Black Prickleback, Xiphister atropurpureus (what is it with cw animals and painful latin names? :rolleyes: ). The other two have not showed themselves in the tank enough to be ID'd yet. I saw (and caught a few) gunnels (either saddleback, Pholis ornata, or crescent, Pholis laeta), but I don't know if I brought any home - they're all the same in the dark, so I just picked three to keep arbitrarily and dumped out the rest. The sculpin is a Mosshead Sculpin - Clinocottus globiceps, and he has a funny little patch of fuzz on his head. :happy:

The nem is not yet open, but I'm gonna feed him and see if that'll do the trick.

Somewhat better pics of the new nem - can anyone Id it yet?

DSC_0101-1.jpg

DSC_0103-2.jpg

it opened enough to eat mysis today, but it wasn't fully open. Hopefully it'll start doing better. :unsure:

other nems

DSC_0109-1.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

:lol: Indeed he does.

Unfortunately, one of the pricklebacks mysteriously died. Just stress I guess - didn't see any physical harm. Everyone else is accounted for.

I'm also having some issues with water clarity. The hob is pulling a lot of junk out, but the water is still murky. I'm thinking of running a skimmer, and if that doesn't help, getting a canister filter. I think now that I have a bigger tank I need to be better about dealing with nutrients. <_<

:lol: Indeed he does.

Unfortunately, one of the pricklebacks mysteriously died. Just stress I guess - didn't see any physical harm. Everyone else is accounted for.

I'm also having some issues with water clarity. The hob is pulling a lot of junk out, but the water is still murky. I'm thinking of running a skimmer, and if that doesn't help, getting a canister filter. I think now that I have a bigger tank I need to be better about dealing with nutrients. <_<

that sucks. hope the rest make it

oddly, the last week mine has gotten a diatom dusting...i think it may have finally finished cycling from the move in october :lol:

clownfish1124

this looks real nice! i love the little strawberries and that huge red one! how do you combat with nem movement? do they sting other nems, or just stay where they are?

that sucks. hope the rest make it

oddly, the last week mine has gotten a diatom dusting...i think it may have finally finished cycling from the move in october :lol:

:lol: I don't know that I've ever kept a cw tank long enough fr it to cycle. :rolleyes:

this looks real nice! i love the little strawberries and that huge red one! how do you combat with nem movement? do they sting other nems, or just stay where they are?

The strawberries don't move - the others do some, but they eventually find a place. They do sting each other, but never to the point of death, so I just let them work it out for themselves.

Well, I figured out why the water was murky. .25 ammonia and 20 nitrates! I think a combo of lots of food (and fish waste) + new tank + maybe anemone chemicals. Sooo, I did a four gallon waterchange, and got a H.O.T. magnum filter, and treated the water with some stuff that supposedly reacts with ammonia. I'll test levels again later, and probably do another water change tomorrow. Most things in the tank actually seem fine - fish are ok, strawberries are perfectly fine. Elegants look a little upset though, and the new nem ( which I've decided is some sort of Urticina) is really pissed. Hopefully I can get this cleared up soon.

edit: i changed the thread title, since it's not really that tank anymore.

Finally some decent pics! The filter has helped a lot - water is much clearer (though not perfect yet) and all the nems seem happier, especially the berries, who are now open 24/7! :D

no fishy pics - I think they're nocturnal - they all came out last night :huh: and when I say "came out," I mean that they stuck they're heads out of their holes and watched the cyclopeez float by. In fact, I'm not sure that they've eaten since I got them. But they seem fat, so I guess they're okay.

okay, pics now.

daniels nem

DSC_0150-2.jpg

pink

DSC_0151-2.jpg

orange

DSC_0141.jpg

new nem and the supposed beadlet (not sure about this id though) the beadlet is upset because it just lost in a fight (against an elegant) the new nem is upset because it's not as tolerant of ammonia as the others (I suspect).

DSC_0154-4.jpg

berries and elegant

DSC_0152-1.jpg

snail

DSC_0137.jpg

fts

DSC_0158.jpg

nice pics!

does the beadlet have little bumps on the column like mine???

indeed it does. fourth pic, the nem on the right. ;)

Cool B) (pun intended!)

lol, thanks. :)

I'm enjoying the new filter - water is nice and clear now. :)

Fish are out too, now that they're not dying of ammonia poisoning. :( The big one has some blackish welts on it - those are caused by ammonia, right? :( I wish that hadn't happened

anyways, been trying to get some better fish pics. You can see the spot on his neck that I imagened to be colorful - it's definitely different than the rest of him.

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

Also, the sculpin is ranking high on my favorite fish list, BECAUSE HE LETS ME PET HIM!!!! omgomgomg

I know what you're thinking. "That's kind of weird," and, "Why would you even want to pet a fish?" and "How did you find that out?" Well - I had my hand in the tank, messing around with the rocks, and I noticed that he didn't seem too scared of the giant hand invading his territory. I wondered how close I could get to him before he'd freak and swim away. I moved my hand slowly toward him - he didn't move. I poked him lightly - still nothing - then I ran my finger along his back - he ate something invisible on the rock next to him, then sat there some more. I decided this must have been some rare occurrence - and dismissed it - but my curiosity got the best of me, and I tried again a few minutes later - again he didn't seem to mind, maybe he even enjoys it! I guess his camouflage is so good that nothing ever tries to eat him. Strange though!

Archived