Coral Vue Hydros

16 gallon Coldwater

Jamie

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply
omg, I'm totally buying it - but what's with their temperature suggestion? :huh:

A. equina is found from England to South Africa, so they probably got it from a tropical source

So, if it's from a tropical source will it be okay in a coldwater tank? How should I acclimate it? I don't really have the option to slowly lower the temp, since the tank is already cold.

Jamie, can you take a post more picture of your collection grounds? I may do a similar set up in Monterey.

I'll probably go to the beach this weekend, so I might be able to get one then (though it will be at night, so it might not work super well. DEFINITELY bringing underwater camera and a flashlight.

Not as much as you would cupcake!

you have to get caught to goto jail sir.

lol, this is like my dad fishing. "I don't care if we snagged it in the tail, it's out of season, and we forgot our fishing licenses at home. It's a spring chinook, and we're keeping it!"

true story

So, if it's from a tropical source will it be okay in a coldwater tank? How should I acclimate it? I don't really have the option to slowly lower the temp, since the tank is already cold.

should be fine. i did it with the red guys from 80* summer weather at the wholesaler to 60* tank. I just tied the bag to the outside of the glass to cool the water slower, and after a few hours did the normal float and drop. they seemed pretty ticked off for a few days, but got over it.

for the really paranoid, a bucket and powerhead could keep it a few days, and add more and more ice to a ziploc to chill it at a slower rate.

It's in the tank! The water it came in was 65 degrees, so I just temp acclimated like normal and plopped him in. He's a little po'd right now, but he was all opened up in the bag, so I think he'll be fine shortly. I also scaped the tank (finally!), so you guys'll get to see that, too. I'm going to the beach tonight however (night tidepooling!), so it's possible he won't be opened before we leave. I'll be back sunday, so I'll definitely have some pics of him then, and hopefully some new fishy additions. :D

It's in the tank! The water it came in was 65 degrees, so I just temp acclimated like normal and plopped him in. He's a little po'd right now, but he was all opened up in the bag, so I think he'll be fine shortly. I also scaped the tank (finally!), so you guys'll get to see that, too. I'm going to the beach tonight however (night tidepooling!), so it's possible he won't be opened before we leave. I'll be back sunday, so I'll definitely have some pics of him then, and hopefully some new fishy additions. :D

GET EXTRA NEMS AND SEND THEM TO ME!!!

NO...REALLY!! I PAY $$$ :D

GET EXTRA NEMS AND SEND THEM TO ME!!!

NO...REALLY!! I PAY $$$ :D

OKAY!!!!

I wasn't planning on getting many, if any for myself, but if you want some ;) If I can convince my parents to drive me to barview, I might be able to get some metridiums too. They're intertidal there. B)

Awesome man! I cant wait to hit the pools

Me too. Less than 24 hours! I haven't been in sooo long.

OKAY!!!!

I wasn't planning on getting many, if any for myself, but if you want some ;) If I can convince my parents to drive me to barview, I might be able to get some metridiums too. They're intertidal there. B)

Me too. Less than 24 hours! I haven't been in sooo long.

Hell yeah man, Ill be up in Oregon this summer.. might have to check out some of the pools there!

OKAY!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omgomgomg

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahhhhhh! Tidepooling was amazing!!!!!!

I ended up going to this place called The Three Graces in Tillamook (google it) which is brackish, but the life there was amazing. Barview would have been nice, but it's a jetty with 13 foot swell breaking over it, which would be unpleasant in the dark.

Anyways, I found these two anemones, and I don't know what either of them are! Not in my book, or on the internets! Well, one could be Anthopleura artemesia, but I don't think so - it's still closed up, so I can't tell, I'll get back to you on that one. But the other one is amazing! It's about 2 inches wide, and, just looking at the oral disk, looks almost exactly like some sort of urticina. Shorter and more numerous tentacles though (I think). But then on the sides, it's striped , like Epiactis prolifera (but the stripes aren't white, more green). It's sooo cool. Overal is sort of a tan-orange green color (hard to tell) but the oral disk has fine maroon lines running around the tentacles. Exactly like U. grebelnyi. Gah! I can't wait to put it in my tank. The other anemone is closed, but superficially looks kind of like a metridium, but it's not squishy enough, and has this sort of blue grey color near the top. No verrucae (maybe). white-ish.

And then there's the fish! There were all kinds of gunnels everywhere! I brought back, like, five or six, so some of you guys might have to take a few off my hands. ;) One of them is enormous, 8 inches long maybe, but it's so beautiful. It's light tan-green, but then right behind it's head it has this deep green patch with intense red mottled throughout it. It's a very small area on the fish, but it looks tight! I also found this really cool dark grey-and-white sculpin. Me and my dad were investigating a crack in a big rock, about 4 feet above the water, and this sculpin was just sitting in there, no water or anything! So we scooped him out and he's now in a bucket with the gunnels.

The water was a toasty 47 degrees, it has now warmed up to 50 in my basement (which is probably around 55-60). I will get pics once everything is in the tank tomorrow, I'm so excited!

Daniel, there actually were metridiums there, but they were so tiny and fragile that it was impossible to get them off the rocks without squishing them. :( I also kind of forgot to get more elegants, but I have plenty at home that you can have. :) and you get a gunnel, too, if you like.

yay! so happy! :D :D :D

Sorry guys, I don't have the thing that I plug my camera card into here at the beach, but I'll be going home today, so I'll be able to upload some this evening. :)

Archived