• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

chicagoreef

chicagoreef

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • Joined 11 Mar 2013

"goes and looks to see if I have any from the guy who sold me this used tank"..."YES!!" Ok, so do I dose the recommended amount along with the uncured rock?

it was yes.

ExSmoker

ExSmoker

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Joined 28 Jan 2013
Kat, can you explain a little about this? Asking because I did excatly this yesterday. I started to cycle my 1gal with les then 1lbs of LR and some dead rock + dead sand. Added RODI, scaped and added Prime, just to be safe... Planning on doing 10% daily water changes till I see pods all over the place.

" I added a lot of prime when I cycled the tank. You will still read the ammonia but it binds it for removal via water changes. "

markalot

markalot

Comic Relief

• Premium Members
  • 4,552 posts
  • Joined 21 Sep 2012
  • Northern KY

I added a lot of prime when I cycled the tank. You will still read the ammonia but it binds it for removal via water changes.

I did this as well.  I let my 40 go 5 months before adding fish, then like a complete idiot added 3 larger fish at once.  The green haze on the glass the next day was the alarm that ammonia was rising, so I dosed Prime for an entire week just to be sure.

^^^  Seachem Prime neutralizes Ammonia, making it harmless but still available for the biofilter to process, so the nitrogen cycle is not harmed.  It's really miracle elixir when you have an ammonia spike.  I always have a bottle, and if something bad happens I dose Prime, then start finding out what's wrong.

ExSmoker

ExSmoker

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Joined 28 Jan 2013
Seachem Prime neutralizes Ammonia, I like how this sounds :) So the biofilter will still start to build up and any hitch hikers wont die from ammonia at least.
my tank is too small for almost any fish so that wont be a issue.. Hopeful to find some macro before the cycle ends. maybe I should feed the tank a little photo to help start the pods...

markalot

markalot

Comic Relief

• Premium Members
  • 4,552 posts
  • Joined 21 Sep 2012
  • Northern KY

Seachem Prime neutralizes Ammonia, I like how this sounds :) So the biofilter will still start to build up and any hitch hikers wont die from ammonia at least.

It all depends.  Everything has side effects.  Prime is a reducer, it reduces O2 levels in the tank and can stress many organisms, a big unknown.  It can also kill O2 sensitive fish if used too liberally. It's something best used for accidents and not as a primary tool for cycling a tank.  My goal at the time was to keep fish alive, and it worked.  I used it in my 20 when I had a mini cycle to keep fish alive, and that worked, but it did not save any of my SPS corals.

ExSmoker

ExSmoker

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Joined 28 Jan 2013
Bummer about the SPS but awsome for saving the fish... I dont use prime daily or anything, just once when it was first filled up.

It all depends.  Everything has side effects.  Prime is a reducer, it reduces O2 levels in the tank and can stress many organisms, a big unknown.  It can also kill O2 sensitive fish if used too liberally. It's something best used for accidents and not as a primary tool for cycling a tank.  My goal at the time was to keep fish alive, and it worked.  I used it in my 20 when I had a mini cycle to keep fish alive, and that worked, but it did not save any of my SPS corals.

metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer ;)

• Premium Members
  • 27,740 posts
  • Joined 14 Jul 2011
  • New York

Kat, can you explain a little about this? Asking because I did excatly this yesterday. I started to cycle my 1gal with les then 1lbs of LR and some dead rock + dead sand. Added RODI, scaped and added Prime, just to be safe... Planning on doing 10% daily water changes till I see pods all over the place.

" I added a lot of prime when I cycled the tank. You will still read the ammonia but it binds it for removal via water changes. "

Prime does not remove ammonia, it detoxifies it. What that means is that with water changes it is easier to get the ammonia levels to drop after Prime has been added. Point to note is that in cases of very high ammonia, nothing but water changes will work. I used a combination of prime, ammo lock rocks, water changes and prayers to get a soft cycle. It did not work very well because I was unprepared. Remember I used uncured rock and it was already smelling of massive die off before I added it to the tank.

"goes and looks to see if I have any from the guy who sold me this used tank"..."YES!!" Ok, so do I dose the recommended amount along with the uncured rock?

I'm sorry for not checking this thread too often. Have you already started the tank and added the uncured rock? Prime can be used i the suggested dose without problems.

Click the Icons for links

Kats.png max.png TOTM.png featuredRB.png NLOGO.jpg MDfish_White_Background_copy_bigger.jpg JBJ-Cubey-3-Gallon-Desktop-Aquarium-Blac

chicagoreef

chicagoreef

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • Joined 11 Mar 2013

Yes - I even have a thread on my experiences so far. Check it out!

The weather has been unseasonably cool in Chicago where I live, so I ordered the rocks and they arrived earlier today. The rocks were all damp and there was no smell of death. I rinsed each rock with some tank water and got rid of some debris and one unlucky worm - he would have enjoyed my tank - and then put the rocks into the tank. I dosed about half a cap of Prime. I was thinking of checking the parameters later tonight or tomorrow morning and doing a 10% water change. So far the existing tank denizens seem ok - the corals I had in there remain fully extended, etc.

I'm sorry for not checking this thread too often. Have you already started the tank and added the uncured rock? Prime can be used i the suggested dose without problems.

metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer ;)

• Premium Members
  • 27,740 posts
  • Joined 14 Jul 2011
  • New York

Yes - I even have a thread on my experiences so far. Check it out!

The weather has been unseasonably cool in Chicago where I live, so I ordered the rocks and they arrived earlier today. The rocks were all damp and there was no smell of death. I rinsed each rock with some tank water and got rid of some debris and one unlucky worm - he would have enjoyed my tank - and then put the rocks into the tank. I dosed about half a cap of Prime. I was thinking of checking the parameters later tonight or tomorrow morning and doing a 10% water change. So far the existing tank denizens seem ok - the corals I had in there remain fully extended, etc.

Link your thread I will check it out. How long was the tank running before you added the rocks today and also did you have a cycle before today, any ammonia readings?

Kats.png max.png TOTM.png featuredRB.png NLOGO.jpg MDfish_White_Background_copy_bigger.jpg JBJ-Cubey-3-Gallon-Desktop-Aquarium-Blac

chicagoreef

chicagoreef

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • Joined 11 Mar 2013

Hi:

http://www.nano-reef...gulf-live-rock/

The tank has been up for almost 3 weeks and was at 0 ammonia, nitrates, nitrites. I just got back from dinner - about 7 hours afer I put in the rocks and ammonia is at .5 (using a not-so-high-quality API kit)

Link your thread I will check it out. How long was the tank running before you added the rocks today and also did you have a cycle before today, any ammonia readings?

aviator300

aviator300

Aviator300

• Members
  • 538 posts
  • Joined 03 Jan 2014
  • Scottsdale AZ

OK. I have a case of the "soft cycle blues" (put that to music Blake Shelton).

I set up a 5 gal tank 3 days ago and have been circulating new SW in it since.  My shipment of 5lbs uncured LR from Gulf Live Rock came yesterday and i added it to the tank after removing a couple clams and some obviously dead macroalgae.

I added a bottle of Bio Spira to supplement bacteria and have been preparing for frequent large water changes to soft cycle.  I tested this morning (after the rock had been in only 16 hrs) and was disheartened by the readings. 

Ammonia     1.0

Nitrite           trace

Nitrate          80.0   Where did this come from.

Well, i did almost a 100% water change and will repeat test this evening.  I expected a challenging cycle but not this strong, this quick.  Should i add a bottle of Seachem prime and some kind of ammonia reducing resin.   

I need guidance.  i'm trying to preserve as much life as i can on and in the rocks.

Tamberav

Tamberav

Reef Nerd

• Members
  • 7,737 posts
  • Joined 20 Feb 2008
  • Duluth, MN

OK. I have a case of the "soft cycle blues" (put that to music Blake Shelton).

I set up a 5 gal tank 3 days ago and have been circulating new SW in it since.  My shipment of 5lbs uncured LR from Gulf Live Rock came yesterday and i added it to the tank after removing a couple clams and some obviously dead macroalgae.

I added a bottle of Bio Spira to supplement bacteria and have been preparing for frequent large water changes to soft cycle.  I tested this morning (after the rock had been in only 16 hrs) and was disheartened by the readings. 

Ammonia     1.0

Nitrite           trace

Nitrate          80.0   Where did this come from.

Well, i did almost a 100% water change and will repeat test this evening.  I expected a challenging cycle but not this strong, this quick.  Should i add a bottle of Seachem prime and some kind of ammonia reducing resin.   

I need guidance.  i'm trying to preserve as much life as i can on and in the rocks.

Nitrate because since it is quality live rock... it already has bacteria to process nitrite to nitrate.

I had gulf live rock myself, I did near 100% waterchanges I believe every other day, and I dosed prime after every water change. After about a week and a half, the rock was good to go and no longer producing ammonia so I moved it into the tank and added fish soon after cuz I am crazy like that.

I also took the rock out and shook off anything dead/dieing/debris in the old waste water and checked every day for dead/dieing clams/snails/inverts to pull out.

A smell test is a strong indication on what is dead and should be pulled and when the cycle completed, the rock had a nice fresh ocean smell instead of rotten fish. :D

Sig1_zps056e918e.jpgsig2_zpsb5c9da97.jpg

Sig33_zpsaa2acac5.jpg

40 Breeder build (retired)

10g freshwater planted

metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer ;)

• Premium Members
  • 27,740 posts
  • Joined 14 Jul 2011
  • New York

+1 to smell test. :)

Aviator, you're doing fine.

aviator300

aviator300

Aviator300

• Members
  • 538 posts
  • Joined 03 Jan 2014
  • Scottsdale AZ

smell test was fine.  Just a good (strong) ocean smell like the tidepools at the beach. thanks guys