Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

T5HO Information

Weetabix7

• 3 months later...

I am getting a hybrid 24" LED/T5 hybrid light for my future 40 breeder and was curious what colors I should look at for the T5's for a good mid day punch. The light has 4 Nanobox pucks and 2 t5's. I prefer the bluer spectrum. Any thoughts?

2 blue+ or true actinic?

Actinic lamps won't really change how you see the tank, you'll want blue lamps.

Yeah after reading a bit more I kinda figured you wouldn't even see a difference with the actinic bulb along side the LEDs. I'll try some blue+.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a used dimmable 4x24w ATI sunpower that will come with 2 blue+, 1 purple + and 1 coral +. Does that sound like a good combo? I'm assuming that I will have to hang it at least 8 inches from my water over my 18X22X22 cube so that I don't fry everything right? My current light is a Kessil A160WE. I went with T5 because I want less shadowing on my SPS. Did I go crazy because I'm going back from LED to T5? Also, can I dim the bulbs until my tank gets used to the new light? Thanks.

I just bought a used dimmable 4x24w ATI sunpower that will come with 2 blue+, 1 purple + and 1 coral +. Does that sound like a good combo? I'm assuming that I will have to hang it at least 8 inches from my water over my 18X22X22 cube so that I don't fry everything right? My current light is a Kessil A160WE. I went with T5 because I want less shadowing on my SPS. Did I go crazy because I'm going back from LED to T5? Also, can I dim the bulbs until my tank gets used to the new light? Thanks.

I don't think it's crazy personally. I had debated on going with t5's only on my future 40 breeder but I didn't want to have to replace that many bulbs that often. So I went with a nanobox hybrid with the t5's only running during peak hours.

Down the road if you don't like the strictly t5 light then I believe I have seen where people remove the center two t5's and DIY some LEDs in there. I'm pretty sure Dave offers this as a retro.

• Like 1

I don't think it's crazy personally. I had debated on going with t5's only on my future 40 breeder but I didn't want to have to replace that many bulbs that often. So I went with a nanobox hybrid with the t5's only running during peak hours.

Down the road if you don't like the strictly t5 light then I believe I have seen where people remove the center two t5's and DIY some LEDs in there. I'm pretty sure Dave offers this as a retro.

Since my tank is only 18 inches long and 22 inches wide, would it be an issue if I just hang my light from front to back instead of of side to side? Thanks.

It's a decent combo, a lot of people like it, but it is up to you in the end. This is a HUGE step up from the Kessil you have, so be sure to acclimate to the new light. I would probably start with a 5 hour photoperiod, then add an hour each week until you get to 8 hours total for four lamps and 12 total for two lamps.

I would not recommend to dim the lamps at all, especially if they are new. If you dim new lamps, you will kill them in short order.

It's a decent combo, a lot of people like it, but it is up to you in the end. This is a HUGE step up from the Kessil you have, so be sure to acclimate to the new light. I would probably start with a 5 hour photoperiod, then add an hour each week until you get to 8 hours total for four lamps and 12 total for two lamps.

I would not recommend to dim the lamps at all, especially if they are new. If you dim new lamps, you will kill them in short order.

I have been told that the lamps are two months old. What do you think about me putting the light from front to back? Any drawbacks?

So if I don't dim them, then just have them at 100%?

I have been told that the lamps are two months old. What do you think about me putting the light from front to back? Any drawbacks? So if I don't dim them, then just have them at 100%?

No, it will work the same.

Right, no dimming.

• Like 1

No, it will work the same.

Right, no dimming.

Now to see if I like the 4lamp T5 "look". Don't get me wrong, I love my Kessil, but it bothers me to see the spots where there's no light reaching my SPS,which is a typical LED complaint.
  • 2 months later...

im sure the answer to this is somewhere in this 89 pages. but i just bought an older ati powermodule (without the leds). its the 24in model. my question is are bulbs marketed as 24in but the actual length is 22in? and also how important is wattage, because i see ati bulbs are 24watts and giesemann bulbs are 39watts but both are 22 inches long. lastly the fixture has some hexarc bulbs in it already, shouldnt i go ahead and toss those?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Fancy seeing you here :) to my knowledge 24'' if you want any selection of bulbs.

Howdy! And thanks. I thought that was the case, but I was hoping they'd come out w/something smaller since I last looked.

• Like 1
gulfsurfer101

Howdy! And thanks. I thought that was the case, but I was hoping they'd come out w/something smaller since I last looked.

Hey there! And yes, I had a current nova pro I believe that used 18" bulbs. The problem with 18" bulbs is nobody really makes them. It was this reason I sold a 300 dollar fixture for 75 bucks

• Like 1